Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] FF8 Controller Buttons v2.0 (Compatible with FF8_Buttons Patch)  (Read 284208 times)

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
FF8 Controller Buttons v2.0 - by MCINDUS
For use with the STEAM version of Final Fantasy VIII
**FINALLY! An UPDATE! 9/07/2018**

This mod replaces the horrible "B1, B2, B3, etc." Button Icons with the proper Playstation and Xbox360 Buttons

***To use this mod, you MUST install Tonberry and SeeD Reborn***
***THIS MOD IS NOW COMPATIBLE WITH SHUNSQ'S FF8 BUTTONS PATCH!***
*Comes with Xbox360, PS3, PS4, DS4, SPC, and Steam controller files for use with Shunsq's controller mod*

-If using a PSX/PS2 default setup controller, Shunsq's mod, Tonberry 2.04, and Seed Reborn are all you need to get going! This mod is only needed if you want a different button setup, or you aren't using Shunsq's mod!

Get Tonberry HERE
Get SeeD Reborn HERE
Get Shunsq's FF8_Buttons mod HERE

Download:
FF8 Controller Buttons v2.0

*HID Buttons are for use ONLY with Mapping interfaces (Xpadder, JoytoKey, AutoHotKey, Pinnacle, etc):
*Using the HID interface buttons is destructive to the Green Text in the game - be warned, but the green text is BARELY used, so it shouldn't interfere with gameplay.

Directions:
1. Download and Install Tonberry and SeeD Reborn
2. Download the Controller mod above, unpack it and open the folder you need!
3. Move the 'sy' folder (OR 'ic' folder if using Shunsq's mod) into your 'textures' folder in the FINAL FANTASY VIII app folder. (steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VIII/textures/)
4. Merge the folders when asked
5. Enjoy!

***Disable the STEAM overlay in 'steam/settings/in-game' to prevent crashes!***
This should work with ALL versions of SeeD Reborn!

Donate to my PAYPAL to help keep these mods alive!

Special thanks to NORWIN and JeMaCheHi!
ALSO, Special thanks to the community for providing the feedback necessary to complete this mod!

Enjoy! Leave a comment and let me know what you think.
-MCINDUS-

Screenshot:

The only glitch is the "A" button showing up next to the "R Stick" button (or Triangle next to Start in PSX version) - this is due to the button being identified as "B10", where it pulls 1 and 0 for it's image.  If this can be changed in the future to "button 10" being represented but it being renamed "button 0", the glitch can be fixed -- otherwise, we just have to live with it ;) 
This glitch is not present in the HID version, but it's more destructive to the green text.  give/take.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-08 03:25:26 by Mcindus »

Zara9

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] FF8 Controller Buttons for PSX and Xbox360
« Reply #1 on: 2015-01-13 16:36:50 »
Hey

thanks for making this mod for us

it was really had before running away from battles on this ff8 steam pc version before

thanks

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Hey

thanks for making this mod for us

it was really had before running away from battles on this ff8 steam pc version before

thanks

You are quite welcome.  I was sick of trying to do the Timber Owl's Train mission without this mod. ;)

RichterB

• View Profile
Thanks Mcindus!! This is the mod I was waiting for.
A little suggestion: Post on your SeeD reborn page about this mod. I bet many people(like me) are waiting for news on this mod, on that page

Erik

• View Profile
Your mods keep urging me too finish my twelvehundredth playthrough of the game! Haha, nice!

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Your mods keep urging me too finish my twelvehundredth playthrough of the game! Haha, nice!

Thanks! That's why I do what I do! :)  It's always nice to know people are enjoying my work!

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
Would you mind doing original PSX buttons? I use a ps3 controller but love your mod.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Would you mind doing original PSX buttons? I use a ps3 controller but love your mod.

Is the PSX version posted not the original buttons?  Or did you just miss that part of the OP?  :)
Let me know if there's any customization you need

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
Missed it. Sorry! this is why you shouldn't post when sick haha.

Dailoh

• View Profile
I have followed all instructions, I installed Tonberry and Seed. It is still showing as B1 B2 B3 etc.  Please help!!!   :(

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
I have followed all instructions, I installed Tonberry and Seed. It is still showing as B1 B2 B3 etc.  Please help!!!   :(

After you installed Tonberry and Seed, did you then overwrite the sysfld01_17.png and sysfld00_17.png files from the Xbox/PSX Download link?  Next question - did you update hash1map.csv from the Tonberry main page?  Last question: are you using the English version of the game? If not, you can still use this mod, you just need different hashcodes available on the SeeD Reborn thread.  You have to have the updated hash1map from Omzy's Tonberry page or the MCINDUS Hashmap v2.1 from HorizonPack v2.1 to use this mod.

Let me know if this helps!

Dailoh

• View Profile
First off, thank you for the quick reply.   I replaced the SYfolder with the PSX link as well as the 4 hashmaps from the hashmaps link.  I am playing the English version bought off Steam.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
First off, thank you for the quick reply.   I replaced the SYfolder with the PSX link as well as the 4 hashmaps from the hashmaps link.  I am playing the English version bought off Steam.

Make sure you're not using SweetFX along with Tonberry.  Also - make sure the MOST recent hashmap file is from MCINDUS Hashmap v2.1.  Could you post a screenshot of your controller configuration window from within the menu?  That would help me figure out whats going on.  Also - could you post a screenshot of your FINAL FANTASY VIII folder from within "/steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VIII/"?  Last question:  Is your OS disk on the C drive? If not, you will need to change it to whatever letter it IS on in the prefs.txt file within the "tonberry" folder in "/steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VIII/tonberry/"

Dailoh

• View Profile
NVM i am a massive idiot.  I figured out where i messed up
« Last Edit: 2015-02-06 20:53:38 by Dailoh »

Dailoh

• View Profile
However, even with this mod I cant get the buttons to match up to do the train mission with the stupid codes and Zell's Limit Break buttons
« Last Edit: 2015-02-06 21:39:58 by Dailoh »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Check out my sweet icon for your mod and how it looks like in the guide :) :P
« Last Edit: 2015-02-08 11:47:36 by LeonhartGR »

Dailoh

• View Profile
Yea so I cannot get the button icons shown on screen to match up to what its actually on the controller.  I've spent over an hour trying to figure this out.  A quick write up could help, unless I getting something wrong.  The icon for "X" is showing up as "Triangle",  "Circle" seems to be correct, "Square" is basically not used.  Thats all I have discovered so far.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-08 21:12:37 by Dailoh »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Check out my sweet icon for your mod and how it looks like in the guide :) :P

OMG I love it. Thanks :)

Yea so I cannot get the button icons shown on screen to match up to what its actually on the controller.  I've spent over an hour trying to figure this out.  A quick write up could help, unless I getting something wrong.  The icon for "X" is showing up as "Triangle",  "Circle" seems to be correct, "Square" is basically not used.  Thats all I have discovered so far.

It's actually assigning the buttons B1, B2, B3, B4, etc. and not X, C, V, G, H, etc.  Is your gamepad supported by the application or are you using a HID interface like Pinnacle or Xpadder?  I would release a version for the keyboard buttons for those of you who are using them, but it would break all of the Green Text in the game, and currently, the only thing broken in the Green text is a missing "B".  Granted, there are barely any instances of green text in the game aside from the buttons...

Dailoh

• View Profile
I am running DS4Windows with my PS4 controller plugged in.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
I am running DS4Windows with my PS4 controller plugged in.

Give me a day or two and I'll have a release for you.   :)

Dailoh

• View Profile
You are a mod god!

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
You are a mod god!
Why thank you.    :mrgreen:

There you go! Download in the main post for PSX and Xbox buttons for use with DS4Windows, Xpadder, Pinnacle, ControllerMate, whatever.  These HID links are for anyone who maps their controller instead of using the default setup.

EDIT  I totally screwed up the file naming in the first release.  Please re-download to use the REAL version! sorry guys!
« Last Edit: 2015-02-13 00:40:11 by Mcindus »

Dailoh

• View Profile
So for anything use DS4, inorder for the buttons to show up correctly with your controller, you have to map your "X" button to x key, "Square" to s key, "Triangle" to c key, and "Circle" to v key.  Still working on the green B1, B2, B3, B4 to not show up.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
So for anything use DS4, inorder for the buttons to show up correctly with your controller, you have to map your "X" button to x key, "Square" to s key, "Triangle" to c key, and "Circle" to v key.  Still working on the green B1, B2, B3, B4 to not show up.

Yeah, those are default keyboard keys - so if you map to the normal keyboard keys, it should work great. Just look in the keyboard configuration in the launcher and copy the keybinds.
If you plug in your controller after you start the launcher, it might fix the problem.  If not, there's a workaround on the forums somewhere... if you go to the Steam forums, you can find a guide for AutoHotKey for FF8 where a guy explains how to turn off your normal button recognition if you have to.

After thinking about it... try to search your computer for the ff8input.cfg file and change all of the joystick button assignments (like B1, B2, B3, etc) into blanks.. then make the file read only. i think thats the fix.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-13 01:46:28 by Mcindus »

Dailoh

• View Profile
I found that ff8input.cfg file you were talking about.  I removed all the B1, B2 etc button assignments but they are still showing in game.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-13 02:06:31 by Dailoh »