Miscellaneous Forums > General Discussion

Final Fantasy 8 in Unity?

(1/25) > >>

Kandy_Man:
Hi, I'm a long time viewer of these forums, only joined today as I thought this was definitely the place to post about this.

I've been longing for a Final Fantasy 8 remake ever since it was announced that 7 8 and 9 were being remade for PS2 (that obviously never happened, though the FF8 tech demo was fantastic at the time).  As part of an assignment at university, I made a very simple demo based on FF8 (which can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7lfGBGgWk0 real stuff begins at 3:00, no idea why I left it running that long in the beginning).  I thought it would be cool if the community made a remake as they would probably be more faithful to the original than SE would be (see what they are doing with the FF7 remake for example), not to mention I've seen what some members of this community are capable of and I'm sure they could do a fantastic job (combine the knowledge of the community regarding how the engine/mechanics/formulas work along with other fan projects such as the voice over projects, people making hd models/textures and stuff and it could turn out incredible).

As you can see in that video, I have absolutely zero artistic talent, the only thing I'm proud of art wise is that I managed to make the gradient look pretty decent (as a non artist anyway), and the throw back to the Galbadian enemies as capsule soldier and capsule leader (I guess I'm quite happy with my covers of the music although I could do a way better version of them these days).

Basically, would anyone be interested in seeing this happen, and if so, would anyone be prepared to help?  I'd volunteer for music and programming as I've been involved in music for 13 years and am a recent Games Software Development graduate, but obviously there is a lot more than that that needs to go into it (I'd also like some optional enhancements, for example, if the voice over project was included voices could be optional along with the grey boxes being substituted for more subtle subtitles at the bottom of the screen, again, optional.  I also like the idea of optional camera stuff, i.e. traditional FF8 camera or more modern right analog stick to move camera so you can see more of the world instead of being confined to the camera angle set in the game).  Time would be limited for myself (and I imagine most people) due to work, but I think if enough people were interested in working on it we could do a pretty good job in not too long of a time thanks to software such as Unity.

Or, if no one is interested I'll crawl back into my cave and pray SE eventually does it :) (properly that is)

Maki:
I'm always ready to help in FF8 remakes!
You see, the biggest problem in whole remake project is lack of artists. There are some fantastic 3D Artists here (FFVIII: The movie for example) but that's still too small (maybe enough for demo, but not for whole game xD).
I had some fun with putting ripped models into Unreal Engine 4 and it looked quite odd as it's still low-poly shit.
I've made also a demo in MonoGame with overture, menu, field support. Programming is not a problem, there are many programmers and VIII fans here, but as said above- I'm having a hard time to notice more 3D artists.
Find someone who would want to recreate whole Balamb Garden model in full detail.

Anyway, count me in.
I'll show you my MonoGame FF8 engine implementation for training, sec ...

Kandy_Man:

--- Quote from: Maki on 2016-11-07 13:29:36 ---I'm always ready to help in FF8 remakes!
You see, the biggest problem in whole remake project is lack of artists. There are some fantastic 3D Artists here (FFVIII: The movie for example) but that's still too small (maybe enough for demo, but not for whole game xD).
I had some fun with putting ripped models into Unreal Engine 4 and it looked quite odd as it's still low-poly strawberries.
I've made also a demo in MonoGame with overture, menu, field support. Programming is not a problem, there are many programmers and VIII fans here, but as said above- I'm having a hard time to notice more 3D artists.
Find someone who would want to recreate whole Balamb Garden model in full detail.

Anyway, count me in.
I'll show you my MonoGame FF8 engine implementation for training, sec ...

--- End quote ---

Yeah I had a feeling artists was going to be the problem.  I did see a video one time of someone who remade Balamb Garden in MineCraft (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P3NEiUYHro) along with someone who made an area of it using some assets they made in UE4 so that will be with looking into I think (http://scottmichaelh.artstation.com/projects/v163Y).  Only reason I suggested Unity is I'm very familiar with C# but not at all familiar with C++, not to mention Unity is catching up in terms of graphics and I personally find Unity to be easier to work in.  Even if we only got a demo completed (like the original FF8 demo for example) I'd be extremely proud that we'd achieved that.

Looking forward to your FF8 MonoGame implementation

Maki:
Not much from visual side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT0_a7gKfMY&feature=youtu.be
but it's reading all files from original archives, so that's something. The music is OGG unfortunately. I tried to find a way to play original SGT songs, but it's heavily deprecated and there's no documentation anywhere.

It's okay if you want to use Unity. I'm also into C# with all that MonoGame and Paradox/Xenko engine too.
For models - I can do some basic models also, but for example Balamb fish statue- no way!

About the UE4 balamb garden- I tried to contact the author some time ago,  but got no reply. :C

Kandy_Man:

--- Quote from: Maki on 2016-11-07 13:52:38 ---Not much from visual side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT0_a7gKfMY&feature=youtu.be
but it's reading all files from original archives, so that's something. The music is OGG unfortunately. I tried to find a way to play original SGT songs, but it's heavily deprecated and there's no documentation anywhere.

It's okay if you want to use Unity. I'm also into C# with all that MonoGame and Paradox/Xenko engine too.
For models - I can do some basic models also, but for example Balamb fish statue- no way!

About the UE4 balamb garden- I tried to contact the author some time ago,  but got no reply. :C

--- End quote ---

That's awesome.  Reading from the original files is always a good thing, it will help in regards to being faithful instead of guessing things.  Yeah I was looking for years on music stuff, always wanted to extract the midi information so I could better learn the songs, then I learned that the midi information in the PC version is actually not accurate to the PSX version I believe?  OGG is how I did the music in my university assignment and probably how I'd suggest implementing music into a remake.

I'd rather Unity and if you're a C# person too that's even better, of course if you've been using MonoGame you would be :)

I'd say anything is better than nothing at this point, just to get the ball rolling so to speak, maybe attract other people who think they could do a better job of models and stuff (and I'd welcome them to if they can).

Yeah I think I tried to contact him too and got nothing.  Shame, but hopefully some people on here would be interested, I've seen what some of the HD mod creators can do :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version