Author Topic: Anyone know if it's possible to use the d-pad?  (Read 13661 times)

TheTruth197

• View Profile
Anyone know if it's possible to use the d-pad?
« on: 2019-03-04 17:33:42 »
Got the game to start running smoothly and am really enjoying the modded playthrough but using the joystick to select through the menus is starting to get on my nerves. I like to play with the active ATB because i feel like i have to really be on my toes and react somewhat by instinct in order to maximize my turns (playing through with new threat mod) but i feel like the joystick is hindering me. When i'm trying to rush through menus to get a certain spell or trying to use an item on a specific person the joystick is so touchy that it makes it so you can't select something ASAP as there are times where you have to fiddle with it to get it to select the right person/enemy,and if you're trying to get things out quickly you might just mess up and select the wrong thing/person, wasting that turn. Doesn't happen too often, but it happens enough to be annoying and detrimental. Really don't want to switch to "wait" if i don't have to, so if anyone knows of a way to actually be able to play using the d-pad i'd appreciate the instruction on how to do so.

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know if it's possible to use the d-pad?
« Reply #1 on: 2019-03-05 11:57:56 »
Had someone a little while back with a similar problem... IIRC, they solved it by mapping D-pad buttons to keyboard keys.  Not sure if it was a built-in function of Windows/Steam, or an extra program running in the background, though.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-03-05 18:22:03 »
FF7 can't do this on its own, but here are some options that may help, in order from my most to least recommended:

There are some paid options as well that are pretty nice, but I don't generally recommend them unless you need a specific feature not available in these free applications.
« Last Edit: 2019-03-05 18:50:00 by Covarr »

TheTruth197

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-03-06 02:09:31 »
Cool thanks for the replies. I bought the steam version to play with mods but i'm using the launcher from 7th heaven to actually run the game so i don't know if the steam option will work. I'll try the DS4Windows and see how that goes.

paladin181

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-03-09 09:16:50 »
Any Luck?

RJTheDestroyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-03-10 08:47:31 »
I did a bunch of testing of programs to fix this for me over the last few days (using an Xbox One controller). The 2 I found that worked for me (with 7th Heaven Launcher) were Padstarr and Pinnacle Game Profiler (PGP). I prefer Padstarr right now as it seems more modernized. I think you have to pay for them, but they do come with trials (the PGP trial ran out for me and it is basically useless after that point unless you buy it). For now, I don't see anywhere listing a trial/how long it lasts in Padstarr, but we shall see.

Anyway, with Padstarr, I had to set it to make the game not recognize my controller as a controller, so that the D-pad would work properly based off of the keyboard commands. Everything on the controller works with the profile I downloaded for it too (using morpheus2n's FFVII controller profile with some edits such as making the analog stick make your character run if you push it over 85% in a direction).

I could not get my PS4 controller to be recognized by DS4Windows for some reason, and a lot of the basic controller to keyboard mapping programs didn't work for me, because the game would recognize the controller and would only accept it's inputs as a controller, so that's why Padstarr worked for me as it lets you disable that.

paladin181

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-03-10 14:30:24 »
Antimicro is free and worked for me after I set it to run as admin. XPadder is $9.99 and also worked like a charm set to run as admin. I use an XBoxOne controller and it worked like a charm. I just didn't map anything to the face or shoulder buttons in Antimicro or Xpadder and just mapped the triggers, Dpad and analog stick since the rest of the buttons worked perfectly fine in game. The analog stick works for analog run by setting a 85% threshold and then it presses a direction and the keyboard button mapped to cancel. This way my controller can do everything I need it to.

Verified on both Antimicro and Xpadder.

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-07-16 22:05:34 »
this worked for me guys, took me 2 mins to setup.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/39140/discussions/0/1842440600601149504/