Final Fantasy 9 > Support

AKAO converter for sound effects - FFIX

(1/6) > >>

Fraggoso:
I'm trying to deepdive into the FFIX sound system (only the soundeffects not the music) as it could be rather easy to then switch out the sound effects from the Steamversion by custom made ones or the original from PSX. They're stored as AKAO on the images in the PSX Version and are stored as akb.bytes in Steam.

Maybe someone out there is smart enough or has more insight then me on AKAO files (and yeah start laughing as mine is almost at 0 ^^).
I want to know if there's a possible solution for converting AKAO files into finished wav/mp3/ogg.
There's a sequencer for the music but not for the soundeffects and I GUESS that everything is packed directly in the AKAO file itself rather than using an external sequencer from the PSX itself.

I could open them with this little tool: https://github.com/vgmtrans/vgmtrans/releases and see that there're two samples stored in the file and I was also able to convert the two samples into wav's samples. And it also displays information like Sample Offset, Loop Point etc...
What is missing, when I convert the samples, obviously are all the information around this two samples. What sample is played when and what effect needs to be applied.

Here's an example from the PSX Version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ouy4h5xjl9gut58/0.zip?dl=0
The file contains two files and a folder.
The 0 is the AKAO File and the akb.bytes is the steam version (just drag and drop into VLC, it plays without problems).
The Folder contains the two samples that I've extracted from the AKAO file.

On the music part I tried using a psf psf file from the battle, and it could also be loaded by vgmtrans. It had the same 36  samples in it and with the help of tirlititi we could match that to the specific index/music from the steam version. So, in theory, there would be no guessing what will go into what file (as of now). The psf also contained the whole sequence.

I HOPE (!!) there's maybe a way to extract the whole sound effect in a finished state somehow from the AKAO files.
The Thread could also go into tools, but as I ask specifically around the AKAO file I'm good with either subforums. =)

Kaldarasha:
DLPB had explained how AKAO does working on the PSX. From what I remember it isn't only a sound file but also has it instructions how the effect should sound (pitch, speed, etc). That's why Dan has recorded all sounds from the PSX game (don't know which tool he used)and re-implement them with his sound replacer with a lot of manual work.

DLPB_:
For ff7 PC I had to recreate the entire system and send the game functions to my own functions that use bass.dll.  I recorded all SFX from PSX version using Mednafen.  PC versions of FF games will use streamed data like wav, ogg.  PSX, as Kal says, uses a custom made script that makes use of a set of custom adpcm instruments.

Fraggoso:
Thank you both.
@DLPB Do you think this would work for FFIX as well?

DLPB_:
Replacing the FFIX audio would likely be along the exact same lines as what I've done for FF7 - with the exception that I hear FFIX can be built using the original source?  Which would make things easier,  no?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version