Author Topic: [FF7] Editing item/weapon text?  (Read 3709 times)

jsn2001

• View Profile
[FF7] Editing item/weapon text?
« on: 2017-10-03 21:17:22 »
Heya, I've used touphScript to dump the text from ff7_en.exe, and I can see the names of the items and their descriptions. However, I can't see which names are connected to which descriptions. I want to give each weapon a new description, but I can't exactly tell what I'm writing a description for (it doesn't help that there's like 20 weapons with the description 'Long-range weapon'.)

Is there a better tool specifically for editing item/weapon names and descriptions? Thank you in advance!

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: [FF7] Editing item/weapon text?
« Reply #1 on: 2017-10-04 13:33:09 »
Try Wall Market. Highlight a weapon/armor/materia and press 'Enter' or double-click on the entry and you can edit the name and description. Just remember to "create the kernel2.bin" from the File menu when you're done.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-10-04 13:41:52 »
ts is the only tool that will allow change to all text in the game.  Other than that, you'll need to use Wallmarket for non dialogue text and Makou reactor for all field dialogue text.  Weapon names and so on need to be changed twice...  sometimes item names need to be changed 3 times (Field, Kernel, Exe).  TS does all of them.

jsn2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-10-05 01:43:02 »
Try Wall Market. Highlight a weapon/armor/materia and press 'Enter' or double-click on the entry and you can edit the name and description. Just remember to "create the kernel2.bin" from the File menu when you're done.

Thank you very much!!

ts is the only tool that will allow change to all text in the game.  Other than that, you'll need to use Wallmarket for non dialogue text and Makou reactor for all field dialogue text.  Weapon names and so on need to be changed twice...  sometimes item names need to be changed 3 times (Field, Kernel, Exe).  TS does all of them.

Thank you for the advice, but I'm using Loveless for dialogue text and touphScript for what I guess you'd call "system text"? Things like default names. Loveless is easier to work with for me.  :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2017-10-05 11:39:57 »
It also has bugs and can break flevel... so I wouldn't rely on it.  I'd use Makou.

jsn2001

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2017-10-05 23:19:01 »
It also has bugs and can break flevel... so I wouldn't rely on it.  I'd use Makou.

I have to modify every line of dialogue in the game, so my biggest threat is boredom. I don't want to give up on this modding process. Therefore, comfort with a program is very important in this scenario.

I'll check out Makou reactor, and if it seems pretty easy to use, I'll go with it, because I trust you. If it's as barebones as touphScript, though, I'll stick with Loveless, despite the risk.