Author Topic: [SOLVED] No mods will work except Remako_HD_Graphics_Mod_BETA_0.1  (Read 2912 times)

ineedausername

• View Profile
The game will start, but it is like the mod is not even activated...

Remako_HD_Graphics_Mod_BETA_0.1 works like a charm!

Thanks for tips!
« Last Edit: 2019-03-09 22:40:52 by EQ2Alyza »

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
Re: No mods will work except Remako_HD_Graphics_Mod_BETA_0.1
« Reply #1 on: 2019-03-09 14:45:02 »
Try putting remako at the top of the list... it's not currently in the tutorial, but I'm GUESSING it's roughly equivalent to the Team Avalanche Fields mod when it comes to load order on account of what it changes.  Hopefully EQ2Alyza or another can shed more light on that.

ineedausername

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-03-09 15:44:59 »
I tried it. Same as before unfortunately.

The strange thing is that it is ONLY the Remako HD mod that works. If I for example deactivate all mod's except "Field Models - Main Characters" and I start the game it is as if the mod is not enabled. Nothing changes. The game runs just fine. Remako is the only mod that truly enables.

Edit:
I followed this guide btw: https://captrobau.blogspot.com/p/install-guide-ff7-mod-manager.html
« Last Edit: 2019-03-09 15:48:03 by ineedausername »

iDerek759

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-03-09 17:52:36 »
In your ff7_opengl.cfg in your directory, is direct mode on?

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-03-09 18:10:39 »
Question:  What happens if you deactivate Remako, but leave everything else active?

Observation:  That guide leave out a very important bit... the paths *MUST* be enclosed by quotes.  If you attempt to copy/paste the path from Explorer directly into the command line window, you'll end up with a broken conversion.  Try re-running the 7H converter, choosing "overwrite" when asked, and see if things work out better.

ineedausername

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-03-09 19:45:17 »
It was direct_mode = off, when I sat it to on it all worked!! ;D

How come? I noticed a little pip sound when the game starts now also, but it all works great so far!

Thanks!

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 2019-03-09 22:40:33 »
The game converter sets up the ff7_opengl.cfg to have direct_mode = on, so why are people having it off? I've seen a few posts lately with it being off, which is telling me that they are not running the game converter correctly.

If you go to Workshop -> Aali Driver Settings -> Rendering, check the Direct Mode box and press the OK button, it'll update ff7_opengl.cfg as well.

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-03-10 04:24:58 »
The game converter sets up the ff7_opengl.cfg to have direct_mode = on, so why are people having it off? I've seen a few posts lately with it being off, which is telling me that they are not running the game converter correctly.
Going back to the trouble I was having getting some mods to activate that you nailed down to this same issue of direct=off, I'm wondering if in the process of fixing some other (much noisier) bug, another bug was also silently fixed in 1.55 or 1.56.  If I catch a couple spare moments, I'll try with a fresh VM and 1.54 to see what happens, perhaps not-quite-following the instructions directly along the way to see if I can get this to trigger.

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
Ok, went through several variations of v1.54, 1.56rc6, and rc7, and here's what I found:

- My original "Not all mods activating" thread was caused by the "direct" folder missing from the 7H config, not by the converter failing to set direct_mode=on.  In each of my test runs, direct_mode=on was correctly set by the converter.  I wasn't able to find a way for that not to happen.

Here's where things get a little interesting, though...
- When I (not-so-accidentally) used an actual PC '97 disk 1, the converter never asked for the movies path, it just went straight to CD and set those paths/reg keys.

- When using the placeholder FF7DISC1.ISO as directed by the 7H installation/setup tutorial, the converter does not seem to behave quite as intended (using 'spoiler' instead of 'code' so my color comments are preserved)...
Spoiler: show

Drive letter for FF7DISC1 --- D:\

Original release detected...

A "movies" folder has been placed into the data folder of your game directory...
TYPE the path to this "movies" folder, then press ENTER.

EXAMPLE: "C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\data\movies" (parenthesis included)
"C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\data\movies"

MOVIEPATH NOT FOUND.
It may have been typed incorrectly...

Using "C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\movies" instead...

Movies not found...
(Right about here is when the \data\movies folder would show up in Windows Explorer)
If custom Movies are located somewhere, change the "MoviePath" Registry Key entry at:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII

Movies path found at...

"C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\movies\"

Backing up files to be modified...

All good, right? Not really... "C:\Final Fantasy VII\movies" does not exist, while "C:\Final Fantasy VII\data\movies" does, and the MoviePath registry key is set to the incorrect location. This seems to be purely an out-of-order problem, since feeding the conversion tool a totally bogus path (e.g. "C:\Final Fantasy VII\data\NothingLivesHere") does not result in a "NothingLivesHere" folder being created anywhere, while the "Videos Path" variable and the registry keys are still seeded with "C:\Final Fantasy VII\movies".

Meanwhile, with this somewhat borked movie path entry, 7H autodetect comes back with
C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\7th Heaven
C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\FF7.exe
C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\mods\Textures
C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\movies\ (doesn't exist)

1.56rc6
C:\\Games\\Final\ Fantasy\ VII\\FF7.exe
C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\movies\
C:\\Games\\Final\ Fantasy\ VII\\mods\Textures\
C:\\Games\\Final\ Fantasy\ VII\\mods\7H\

1.56rc7
C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\movies\

If I manually create the \data\movies folder at the appropriate point in the conversion process (that is, after the converter claims to have created the folder, but before actually typing in the path), the correct path is displayed in FF7_GC.log, and the correct registry keys are set.  7H then detects the following:
C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\7th Heaven
C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\FF7.exe
C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\mods\Textures
C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\data\movies\  (yay!)

1.56rc6
C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\data\movies\

1.56rc7
C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\data\movies\