Author Topic: FF7PC Reprogramming Challenges  (Read 5014 times)

Terence Fergusson

• View Profile
FF7PC Reprogramming Challenges
« on: 2001-05-10 08:22:00 »
If you're interested, there are a number of features that can be unlocked in FF7PC... providing you're good enough to get down to the nitty-gritty and hack through the main EXE.  What I'm going to give you is the features themselves... but I have no idea how they can be unlocked.  I only know of their presence.  (But note that anyone who manages to do this will probably have their praises sung far and wide....)

1. Misprint: Materia that add to Magic Def actually add to Spirit, like they should do; this is a mis-labelling of Materia abilities.

2. Bug: Magic Defense is not used at all to determine battle mechanics defense against magic.  Only the Spirit value is used.  Thus, any piece of armor that adds to Magic Defense gives *NO* benefit whatsoever.

3. Forgotten Feature: Every weapon in the game has an element out of the following: Cut, Hit, Punch and Shoot.  Shoot is probably facilitated only to demonstrate Long Range ability, but the other three have no seeming use at all, even though a few enemies list weaknesses against them (Desert Sahagin are weak vs Punch).  These weaknesses do not work, that I've seen.  (In addition, the element names should really be something like Edged, Blunt and Pierce, or something similar; the current names are misleading)

Those three challenges should be enough.  They're listed in order of difficulty (though even (1) should be reasonably tricky to fix, unless you know your code).  Just thought it was worth bringing these to your attention, is all.

Have fun.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2001-05-10 16:05:00 »
Well thats damn intresting. Thanks.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #2 on: 2001-05-10 19:15:00 »
So if you can somehow get in and "hack" the EXE you could fix those bugs?

Heh, anyone wanna make a patch?  I can't hack.  :P

« Reply #3 on: 2001-05-16 20:38:00 »
Terence:  
Those three challenges should be enough.

Implying that there are more?  :wink:

Terence Fergusson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2001-05-16 23:07:00 »
Srethron> You want more?  Fine :P

4. Cloud's XPTNL when the game first starts and before he gets into a fight is erronous.  Fix this.

5. Big Brawl and Cid's and Red's draining limits seem to only work once properly in my game every time I boot up FF7.  After working once, they will fail to function (Big Brawl will cause Cid to go into frenzy, but hitting nothing, and the two draining abilities will cause damage, but give nothing to Cid and Red)  Could be a bug, could be an incompatibility.  Anyone finding out the cause of this and fixing it will be well honoured (it plays havoc with trying to find out the formulas behind them).

« Reply #5 on: 2001-05-17 02:21:00 »
I *thought* there must be more.
1. XPTNL?
2. I'm not sure, but IIRC I don't have those problems. I guess I'd better check, preferably not until someone can provide me with those movies I'm missing from my damaged disc.

Terence Fergusson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2001-05-17 08:04:00 »
XPTNL = EXperience Points To Next Level.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #7 on: 2001-05-17 18:33:00 »
Not that I'm one to be picky, but this topic really belongs more in the Remake forum. Sorry all you curious outsiders ^_^