Author Topic: New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread  (Read 178352 times)

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread
« on: 2009-11-14 22:45:42 »
Right, i figured the earlier discussions about this kinda stuff were kinda just in other threads, and it was a topicless topic of discussion. Now it has its own thread  :lol:

So yeah, at any rate, i've been playing around with it a little bit, and i can get perfect camera angles, and accurate models.

The only problem is, unless somebody has an autodesk 3DS Max subscription, UV maps will have to be entirely custom mapped, if we're to export into 3Ds Max. i'm not sure about blender, but i dont think its possible in that either. You do, however, get seperate textures for each face you create in sketchup. so anyway, Here's a screenshot of a really rough taster of the things we'll end up being able to do when this is done.

EDIT: I just noticed Photoshop snapped the original picture way too high, and threw the new/old sync out a bit, that's why it looks way too high.

to be honest, we don't even need perfect precision with geometric-unfriendly areas. even if we just model things based around what we see, we can just change the walkmesh so it lines up decently. it's not like you can interact with the scenery anyway.

Oh, and i'm not the best texturer in the world, either, so, I might need a few recruits. the plan is, people with sketchup find the perspective and camera angle with the "match photo" tool, and create the necessary 3D references. The sketchup files are then uploaded somewhere, and the 3D artists go in and model a pretty high-poly scene with what they have. Texture artists collaborate, then the model and textures are rendered with the exported camera sketchup provides. At present, most of these people will probably end up being the same guy, which will obviously make this the slowest project in this forum's history (yes, even Qgears and FF7voice)

But more to the point, we need people with experience and the will to help out with this. i'll also eventually need someone to share what they know about the how the walkmesh camera is changed over time in cutscenes that include realtime rendered field models.

uhhh. i hope i've covered everything. if i forgot something, i'll edit this post with what info i missed.
« Last Edit: 2009-11-14 22:58:28 by NeoCloudstrife »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread
« Reply #1 on: 2009-11-15 14:30:02 »
Looks promising. The other thing we need to look into is procedural textures. Im not sure if anyone knows how to make them but this is how square did it, and if it is easier to do then regular textures it might be an avenue to explore.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-11-15 15:55:26 »
This is a free procedural texture generator, i've used it before(for HL2 mapping) and it's a good program. I prefer PS or GiMP since i'm more familiar with them, but it's a great way to get natural looking textures. One word of warning though, you need a fairly decent computer(at least dualcore with 4GB RAM), otherwise it takes FOREVER to render you results. Also it's completely free.

http://www.mapzoneeditor.com/?PAGE=HOME

You results so far look very good, the best we've seen so far. The only flaw i see with this method is the sheer amount of time it will take to do all of the field background, but you've taken this into account.

lee
« Last Edit: 2009-11-15 15:57:28 by pyrozen »

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: 2009-11-15 16:08:00 »
This is a free procedural texture generator, i've used it before(for HL2 mapping) and it's a good program. I prefer PS or GiMP since i'm more familiar with them, but it's a great way to get natural looking textures. One word of warning though, you need a fairly decent computer(at least dualcore with 4GB RAM), otherwise it takes FOREVER to render you results. Also it's completely free.

http://www.mapzoneeditor.com/?PAGE=HOME

You results so far look very good, the best we've seen so far. The only flaw i see with this method is the sheer amount of time it will take to do all of the field background, but you've taken this into account.

lee

Quad core, baby :D

aight, that's texturing seemingly almost completely avoided (in these kind of situations, things like this never work out properly). i dunno how this works, but it looks promising, so i'll play around with it.

and yes, i have taken this into account.

Also, I forgot, unless you're playing in windowed mode or have stretching disabled, the original backgrounds are just stretched over the entire screen. what we want is the thing in my screenshot, a widescreen field of view (i.e walkmeshes scaled, but not stretched). i don't know how to accomplish this, but maybe it's a question for Aali?
« Last Edit: 2009-11-15 17:00:29 by NeoCloudstrife »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-11-15 17:41:30 »
If you can, send me the exported model/textures, so i can play around a bit. also, I'd suggest against procedurals... thats what square used, and thats why the backgrounds look dumb.

V95

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-11-18 16:50:19 »
O.o what is this? A new project or something? lawls.

If so then it'll be interesting!  :mrgreen:

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: 2009-11-18 17:19:35 »
Yeah, that's it. eventually, I'll be able to re-shoot some FMV's with this, as well as get every single field background re-done -  Although nobody seems too interested in helping out, which is kind of a shame.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 2009-11-18 18:14:52 »
Is my sketchup files working out for you?

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: 2009-11-18 20:09:37 »
yeah, it works great  :-D. the only problem is, we'll never be able to get total 100% accuracy. I mean, images when changing views don't always line up perfectly, but we don't really need to get stuff 100% perfect anyway.

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-11-18 23:58:05 »
but but but 100% perfection would be the best

i would help if i had the free time/knowledge to having to jobs has its bonus' but you lose free time if you sleep

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-11-19 02:30:54 »
I've been practicing because I need to do this for something else, so I'm improving nonetheless.

Anyone wanna take a stab at what that says?

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-11-19 03:39:55 »
north? I know "north gate station" is written all over the place

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 2009-11-19 06:13:52 »
"North Edge Station" actually.

It looks like you aren't using my model. You have my permission to have it. You are going to find that rooftop really hard :)

I worked so hard aligning everything too. The model doesn't seem level and you can erase those cross members edges. Sketchup works much better with quads.
« Last Edit: 2009-11-19 06:20:00 by halkun »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-11-19 15:09:55 »
where is your model halkun?

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 2009-11-20 04:36:54 »
where is your model halkun?

on my computer at home. I should probably upload it, huh :) I sent it to NeoCloudstrife.

refoopseman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-11-20 05:54:49 »
Hey guys, actually you can view the actual 3D walkmeshes of these backgrounds by using the meteor program. However you will be very dissapointed because those walkmeshes are very poorly done, almost looks 2D. For example this is the Wutai walkmeshes. With meteor you can view the orthographic camera, perspective camera( although this may not show in all backgrounds) and field camera which is the game camera. The green square objects are coordinates of field models which will appear in the game. The top joint-2-box is the game camera. Meteor is still in alpha version so it definitely can be better. I think you guys should contact the guy synergy blades who developed this program. Maybe he will be able to export those walkmeshes into editable and importable format in google sketchup. They look horrible but you can extrude the vertices to create the temple meshes as in this background, and their positions will be almost 100% accurate. If not this can still be used as references.

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #16 on: 2009-11-20 06:39:24 »
I know this, in fact, i'm sure i even made a reference to walkmeshes earlier in this thread. The walkmeshes won't help very much/at all though. for one we can't export them, and it's probably just easier to build from scratch.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009-11-20 17:28:48 »
Actually the walkmeshes are not precise. they are the boundaries of play, the limit to which you can move, but that isnt right up to a whall or something, its actually short of it, and the outlines are vague. The actual floor/walkmesh is fairly easy to do in sketchup, so its not a big worry.

EDIT: just thought of something - one thing we could do is retextured the projected textures n render, but another possibility is to get the exported model, and drop it into a program like zbrush or mudbox. I'm not very familiar with these, but i do have zbrush and do need to learn it. They are used for 3d sculpting, and could greatly help get all the details into the environments. for example in the first scenes of midgar the rough metally texture of the train could be bumped in, the cobblestones moulded etc, then you apply a simple texture, mainly color, and render with good lighting. still, - i need the models and need to learn zbrush. :P
« Last Edit: 2009-11-20 17:31:38 by timu sumisu »

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009-11-20 18:13:00 »
I took one of my practice models from sketchup and converted it to .obj with blender with texture maps
I dont know If i did it right, but whatev.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7R17HHQR

You can play with it or something, until someone posts a real model.

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #19 on: 2009-11-21 02:21:28 »
Neo what have you ever completed or released? I find it hard to get on your band wagon. You talk allot, but do very little for the public. You seem to suffer from " look at me" syndrome.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009-11-21 02:45:39 »
he sent me what he had done, and it gives me hope. the textures project nicely, givein opportunity to redo them properl. combined with sculpting we could get some great results.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009-11-21 04:20:11 »
Neo what have you ever completed or released? I find it hard to get on your band wagon. You talk allot, but do very little for the public. You seem to suffer from " look at me" syndrome.

this is a VERY large poject. Much more than WMRP and 2DO. i decided to take on WMRP alone so things would be consistant between transisitions, but this is completely different. I applaud neo for his effort, he has willfully chosen the hardest project for remaking this game (x100).  I only hope a few folks can join him so this doesn't fade into obscourity!

Lee

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009-11-21 05:45:46 »

this is a VERY large poject. Much more than WMRP and 2DO. i decided to take on WMRP alone so things would be consistant between transisitions, but this is completely different. I applaud neo for his effort, he has willfully chosen the hardest project for remaking this game (x100).  I only hope a few folks can join him so this doesn't fade into obscourity!

Lee

Psst its not 2DO anymore :P

I am following what is going on in this thread and it does have some great potential, unfortunately I have way too much other stuff to work on for the game to attempt this. I have already figured out how to get the files back into the game without seams between layers, and thats all I can do at the moment. I am having a hard enough time to find the motivation to work on the stuff I already started.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 2009-11-21 09:03:33 »
I know this, in fact, i'm sure i even made a reference to walkmeshes earlier in this thread. The walkmeshes won't help very much/at all though. for one we can't export them, and it's probably just easier to build from scratch.

Actually I have all the walkmeshes exported as .obj files

All of them

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #24 on: 2009-11-21 12:45:31 »
...oh, thanks. That's nice.  :-P
Seriously though, I know I've never completed anything I've started, and that kinda run's into my real life, and my projects on other forums, too... I guess the reason for this is that i always lose motivation for some reason or another. But this is something i'm gonna strive to complete, whatever happens. it's not as if i do stuff just for the "fame" or whatever. well, at least, not on this forum - that's the old me. Don'cha think it's a little harsh to jump to that conclusion? I really don't mean to seem like that, so, sorry if i do. [/off-topic]

Actually I have all the walkmeshes exported as .obj files

All of them
It'd probably be quite helpful for you to send them over :P

and guys, thanks for the support. I'm currently trying to get more references, and i've been playing around with Crisis core scenes. they seem to modelled based on the originals, and some of them would probably be a massive help towards some places. Theoretically, it looks like we could actually USE the Crisis core model for costa de sol. (of course, obviously not going to)
I'll probably have an update next week or something
« Last Edit: 2009-11-21 12:57:23 by NeoCloudstrife »