Author Topic: What's left to be done?  (Read 35165 times)

Drahcir

• View Profile
What's left to be done?
« on: 2010-03-19 05:17:19 »
I've been following this project ever since it was announced and although it appears to be developing very slowly (only Akari is currently working on it, right?), I’m eagerly awaiting it when it (if?) matures.

Anyway, after looking around the Wiki and forum, it seems like every single piece of FF7 has been documented at some point. There are plenty of unknown (or unused) bytes in certain file formats, but it seems that all the primary data has been discovered.

Parts that have been documented are models, animations, sprites, images, walk-meshes, battle math, world maps, field/battle scripts and several others.
So I’ll ask the experts, what’s left to be discovered and/or documented?

While I’m here, I’ll just say; Keep up the good work developer(s).

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
Re: What's left to be done?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-03-19 06:20:17 »
I dont really have much else to ask excluding what was stated above
So let me reiterate, how is the project going?

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-03-19 11:06:45 »
Field data and algorithms are known at 95%
Battle algorithms are known at 50-70%
Battle data are not yet has dumpers and viewers. In addition huge amount of this data are consist of different effects (magic, summons, skills, limits) are hardcoded. A lot of transition effects of camera and movements are hardcoded. This not yet known. So data in battle are known at 5-10%
Worldmap are almost unknown at all. No one has found or documents it's scripts, settings, battle settings (TF not counted, he doesn't describe format). Algorithms of worldmap are unknown.

This is it =)

As for progress. Mostly reversing and try to unify algorithms for FFIX, FFVII and Xenogears.
Now I'm writing dumper for field script (I need dumper for PSX). Writing dumper for texts (for PSX, japanese and english one).
Writing exporter for battle models (including all textures). That's all folks =)

ps: don't forget that lastest changes and result of all my works you can found at http://q-gears.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/q-gears/
« Last Edit: 2010-03-20 05:37:08 by Akari »

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-04-04 07:18:17 »
Hey Akari just wonderin if you have a Xenogears sprite/background dumper available. Also wondering about any dumper really for Xenogears.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-04-04 12:17:54 »
Hey Akari just wonderin if you have a Xenogears sprite/background dumper available. Also wondering about any dumper really for Xenogears.

I only have script dumper. I have not start write model dumper yet. Though I has a lot of pieces of code that can display this models.

chaosdeathfish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-04-04 15:33:10 »
Worldmap are almost unknown at all. No one has found or documents it's scripts, settings, battle settings (TF not counted, he doesn't describe format). Algorithms of worldmap are unknown.

I've been trying to decode the world map format. I've got the TXZ and BSZ files mostly decoded, to the point that I should have a world map viewer working in the next day or two. I've not tried searching for the scripts yet, and I've not found the models for locations on the world map yet.. I could write up what I have so far if you want a copy?

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-04-04 17:57:57 »

I only have script dumper. I have not start write model dumper yet. Though I has a lot of pieces of code that can display this models.

Thanks you two hey guys you think you could let me use such a tool in the near future?. Also chaosdeathfish could I please use your proggy to when its complete?. Thanks again for such a quick reply.

EDIT: Got the CD extraction tool. But it just seems to open and close right away can anybody give me directions on how to use this tool.
« Last Edit: 2010-04-05 06:39:41 by Mako »

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-04-05 12:03:19 »

Thanks you two hey guys you think you could let me use such a tool in the near future?. Also chaosdeathfish could I please use your proggy to when its complete?. Thanks again for such a quick reply.

EDIT: Got the CD extraction tool. But it just seems to open and close right away can anybody give me directions on how to use this tool.

I upload everything to SVN, you could get everything there.

What CD extraction tool did you get? My version of tool write messages to console about what went wrong.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-04-05 19:22:04 »
What CD extraction tool did you get? My version of tool write messages to console about what went wrong.

This http://q-gears.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/q-gears/trunk/utilites/xeno/cd_extract/extract.exe?view=log

Don't know how to use it though use seems to shut right down...Also were on SVN did you upload it to link please. OH and thank you so much for your help very kind of you.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-04-06 08:29:39 »

This http://q-gears.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/q-gears/trunk/utilites/xeno/cd_extract/extract.exe?view=log

Don't know how to use it though use seems to shut right down...Also were on SVN did you upload it to link please. OH and thank you so much for your help very kind of you.

This is console application. You need to specify xenogears iso to extract from it.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-04-06 14:23:12 »
Well call me dumb. But as previously mentioned it just opens and closes...Nothing to type or specify. Also is that the tool you uploaded?

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-04-06 17:19:54 »
Well call me dumb. But as previously mentioned it just opens and closes...Nothing to type or specify. Also is that the tool you uploaded?

First run cmd.exe.
Then run xenogears extractor through it.
Then you will see something like:

Code: [Select]
Xenogears Main Disk Dumper v0.9.67
Created by Graph and _Ombra_
USAGE:'extract.exe isofile' extract files from xeno cd image.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-04-06 18:01:29 »

First run cmd.exe.
Then run xenogears extractor through it.
Then you will see something like:

Code: [Select]

Ok thanks akari, I got that message what is the next step?. Run the iso though cmd.exe?

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-04-08 07:43:02 »
Now set iso to extract in cmd from as "extract.exe isofile.iso"

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-04-08 09:13:16 »

Ok...let me list the ways I typed this file and NOTHING comes up in cmd.exe.
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
C:\Documents and Settings\Mako>"C:\Documents and Settings\Mako\Desktop\extract.exe"

C:\Documents and Settings\Mako>'extract.exe isofile'

'extract.exe isofile.iso'
"extract.exe isofile"
"extract.exe isofile.iso"
'extract.exe xeno.iso'
"extract.exe xeno"
'extract.exe cd1.iso'
ect...tried many more...

It doesn't seem to do anything am I typing it in wrong?. God I so not good with cmd line stuff. Thank for you help akari I'd turn to someone else but I want to try this tool its just frustrating.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-04-08 10:15:39 »

C:\Documents and Settings\Mako>"C:\Documents and Settings\Mako\Desktop\extract.exe"

"extract.exe isofile"
'extract.exe xeno.iso'
"extract.exe xeno"
'extract.exe cd1.iso'
ect...tried many more...

It doesn't seem to do anything am I typing it in wrong?. God I so not good with cmd line stuff. Thank for you help akari I'd turn to someone else but I want to try this tool its just frustrating.

Like this

C:\>C:\way to executable\extract.exe C:\way to image\xenogears.bin

I use bin/cue xenogears image. Maybe this is why you have trouble.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 2010-04-08 12:46:54 »
Not to nudge in here, but if you having problems using the command line, or following simple instructions on how to use the application,  it makes me wonder why you are trying to get the sprites in the first place. I have a feeling it's not to help further the knowledge in the internals of Xenogears.

You are probably going to be very disappointed when you find what it outputs will be next to useless on a PC.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-04-08 19:08:20 »

"extract.exe isofile"
'extract.exe xeno.iso'
"extract.exe xeno"
'extract.exe cd1.iso'
ect...tried many more...

Like this

C:\>C:\way to executable\extract.exe C:\way to image\xenogears.bin

I use bin/cue xenogears image. Maybe this is why you have trouble.

Thank you soo much akari that worked!. You have been very kind thanks again for the noob help.

Not to nudge in here, but if you having problems using the command line, or following simple instructions on how to use the application,  it makes me wonder why you are trying to get the sprites in the first place. I have a feeling it's not to help further the knowledge in the internals of Xenogears.

You are probably going to be very disappointed when you find what it outputs will be next to useless on a PC.

Everybody's got to start somewhere halkun I read all the Q-gears documentation (didn't understand most of it) but my interest in this game and reversing,seeing how things work are a passion of mine. You were right there probably not going to do me any good having them if I don't understand more on the programing language which they were used/compiled in but...I have them and its a start I can follow simple directions as it turns out Akari was right I extracted the iso wrong which is not that uncommon.:p But I can promise this if I do find out any more about this games inter-workings someday I will post all that is found and post all info so it may contain some help on Q-gears.

I have a feeling it's not to help further the knowledge in the internals of Xenogears.
??? Amongst many reasons this is almost a guarantee. I would have to gain more knowledge of the internals of aforementioned game if I where to do anything with Xenogears at all. As I know it is your hobby to take stuff apart and you have fun doing it as do I. Only difference is I don't understand it for now sorry about that.

P.S I am hiring a private tutor to teach me teh C+ programing language hopefully that is the language I need to further my project with. I don't care on how long it takes me I will learn.
« Last Edit: 2010-04-08 19:19:15 by Mako »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 2010-04-09 00:23:45 »
Mako, I think that the best way to get into reverse engineering (though I'm not 'into' it myself) is probably just to get acquainted with 'low-level' programming, and looking up lots of hacking docs on a variety of games to start seeing how others have made sense of apparently random data. That's what *I'd* do anyhow.

If it's any consolation, I'd say I've learned a lot just modding. AI recoding has brought me into contact with ASM, which I would have shuddered at otherwise (though I've yet to work on anything involving complex register operations, or manage memory, I've encountered enough information to *broadly* understand how they work).

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-04-09 11:31:21 »
Added new dat dumper to ffvii utilites.

Now working on console for q-gears to make it user friendly.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-05-15 09:07:30 »
For those who interested in what's going on with q-gears:
I finish some low level staff, console commands and variables, inputs, events.
I'm working on loading of resources now. Background loading, file organization and such staff.
I'm work on particle system that can handle ffvii type of effects. It's not that easy. All effects are hardcoded so to implement them each of them needs to be reversed. Results will be here soon.
I'm work on battle 3d extractor/converter.

Wait for the good news =)

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-05-15 15:14:13 »
This seems to be the hardest project being done. Who are helping you Akari??

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010-05-15 20:28:25 »
I'm interested, I just have absolutely nothing to contribute that would be of any help.   Nevertheless, it's always nice seeing the updates of what you've been doing.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-05-16 11:24:05 »
This seems to be the hardest project being done. Who are helping you Akari??

Noone =)

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #24 on: 2010-05-16 11:50:25 »
If only I knew C++, or pretty much any programming languages at all for that matter. I'm really interested in this actually.
Actually, while I'm sort of on topic in this thread, Maybe you could clarify something for me, Akari.

When it's done, Is Q-Gears still going to somehow compile into a brand new "FF7.exe" file for FF7PC (or even the PSX version so theoretically we can play it without an emulator) that's more up to date and more compatible with newer computers and programs? Or is it simply going to be a test program to be able to load resources from the PSX version (Which I believe it can already do, pretty much).

It's just that it's been such a long time since that "FAQ" was posted, and I remember reading somewhere that the initial goals have changed somewhat.