Author Topic: My heads going to explode!  (Read 2240 times)

Mako

• View Profile
My heads going to explode!
« on: 2010-04-05 08:09:07 »
Hello all! I am currently trying to reverse engineer the Xenogears game. Long story short...How the heck is anybody supposed to get anything off a file structure that is hidden were do I even start? What do I do?. What programing language do I learn?. What books do I buy?. What programs do I use?. Arg I have much more respect for halkun and cyberman now then I ever have. You ever just want to feel like you know nothing go to Q-gears documentation page. Any suggestions would be GREAT!. I'am not the type of person to give up, but man this is some intense stuff!   

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Re: My heads going to explode!
« Reply #1 on: 2010-04-05 12:43:24 »
Hello all! I am currently trying to reverse engineer the Xenogears game. Long story short...How the heck is anybody supposed to get anything off a file structure that is hidden were do I even start? What do I do?. What programing language do I learn?. What books do I buy?. What programs do I use?. Arg I have much more respect for halkun and cyberman now then I ever have. You ever just want to feel like you know nothing go to Q-gears documentation page. Any suggestions would be GREAT!. I'am not the type of person to give up, but man this is some intense stuff!   

Hex editing is where one would theoretically start. find an executable, then view it in a hex editor. If you know anything of the assembly architecture the engine was build on (wikipedia might be a good resource), you should be able to look up the ins and outs of the assembly language, and be able to translate the raw bytes to instructions and make some sense of it.

If you can't figure out/look up what architecture the engine was built using, well then that makes your job 100x harder, cause you'd have to figure it out yourself.

That being said, I'm by no means an expert and I'm just speaking theoretically. I'm not ballsy enough to try to reverse engineer a game engine.

Mako

• View Profile
Re: My heads going to explode!
« Reply #2 on: 2010-04-05 19:05:37 »
OMG, Titeguy you are a life saver! From this I can match up the data strings found in q-gears documentation and finally get a foothold in piecing this thing apart. Thank You!!!!!!