Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid PC Problem  (Read 25425 times)

destroyedweapon

• View Profile
Metal Gear Solid PC Problem
« on: 2011-04-14 19:23:22 »
Hello, im having a mayor problem with this game, the gameplay is perfect but in the scenes of real life footage the screen goes blue, i can still hear the sound though and the video can pass and i can play fine but still really sucks.

Here is how it looks:
http://i.imgur.com/ZrCwd.png

I tried all the settings but all end the same, i also tried win 98 comp. Im playing this game in windows xp.

Does anyone know of a fix for this?
Thanks
« Last Edit: 2011-04-14 19:27:10 by destroyedweapon »

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Gear Solid PC Problem
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-14 19:33:45 »
Can't say I have a fix, but I would like to ask you about a problem I have, do you ever notice the speech in cutscenes going out of sync?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-14 19:51:10 »
The FMV issue in MGS is known and I have not seen a fix for it.  Kranmer looked further into it.

destroyedweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-14 23:20:57 »
@cupcake

No, I havent noticed. I only played until the first cutscene that showed this though, and then went to try find a fix.

@DLPB

I feared that. Well this means the ending is all screwed up, i used to have this for ps1. This is really a let down.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-04-14 23:25:45 »
Maybe Kran found something but any case, there has to be a way to fix it.  God knows what it is...

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-04-15 00:34:48 »

@DLPB

I feared that. Well this means the ending is all screwed up, i used to have this for ps1. This is really a let down.

Trust me, It's not that bad. Yeah you can't see the footage but you can still hear it, and If you played It on PS1 you already know the footage wasn't more than a visual for what the characters described.

You won't really miss much of the story in the end either, as most of It's in game anyway, until the credits roll. Even the stuff that looked like it was videos of the game, on PS1
"Metal Gear!? It can't be..."
"You Knew? Metal Gear was one of the most top secret black projects..."
Was actually a rendering method in the game. Unfortunately, you don't get that cool screen warping effect on the PC version though.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-15 00:37:04 by BloodShot »

destroyedweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-04-15 01:36:38 »
Come on man you cant be saying that. It adds a lot of mood and sentiment to the game. Im actually not playing this and try to emulate a ps1 version of the game, maybe im to sensitive but i need it. It is something missing, i want it all or nothing.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-04-15 01:42:17 »
I agree.  It is needed...  but someone somewhere is gonna need to fix it.

destroyedweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-04-15 02:07:53 »
I would fix it myself if i knew anything about coding.

As a side note i successfully emulated it on ePSXe, in Nvida Control Panel - Color settings: bright=35, digital vibrance=41, contrast=50, sharp=0, gamma=40. Looks pretty cool, same color config i used in Silent Hill.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-15 02:36:37 by destroyedweapon »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-04-15 02:39:24 »
ps2 remake all the way  :mrgreen:

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-04-15 12:45:29 »
ps2 remake all the way  :mrgreen:

You mean Gamecube right?

Twin Snakes was a 'Cube exclusive.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #11 on: 2011-04-15 15:00:10 »
You mean Gamecube right?

Twin Snakes was a 'Cube exclusive.

and was really well done at that.. i guess that depends on if you like MGS2 style or not.. it makes MGS harder in places and way to ez in others.

destroyedweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-04-15 16:55:21 »
I dont like the art of the gamecube remake, too bright and light blue colours.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-04-15 17:27:55 »
and was really well done at that.. i guess that depends on if you like MGS2 style or not.. it makes MGS harder in places and way to ez in others.

Disagreed...  Twin Snakes, made it far too easy and ruined the cutscenes with over the top rubbish like bouncing off missiles.  It crippled the story telling.  The music was also a let down.

Imho it added nothing except good graphics and this is another reason I never want a FF7 remake.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-04-15 17:35:47 »
ruined the cutscenes with over the top rubbish like bouncing off missiles.

Because MGS is realistic right?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-04-15 17:48:43 »
Because MGS is realistic right?

oh good lord not another one who says that.  I don't know how many times I need to repeat this point across 100 forums, but understand that good fiction gets the balance right, and tries to be at least a bit believable even if not realistic.  If your fiction has tons of absurd things which remove a person from the suspension of disbelief if it a bad fiction.

Twin Snakes took what was a workable story and turned it into a Matrix farce.   Being a fiction does not mean it can get away with kicking chunks of ceiling out or jumping off missiles. I am well aware MGS is fiction and not totally realistic, but Twin Snakes is a farce.  Fact.

Good fiction works when the audience can settle into the world and ignore what isn't plausible.  Bad fiction is Twin Snakes, where it is so absurd and so frequent that it does not work.  This is the basics of good storytelling. 

Also, bloating something is not a good thing.  That's why MGS4 is so annoying, because it is a self masturbating affair.  Whenever you see bloated out of control action scenes and graphics, you know it is being used as a substitute for clever storytelling, dialogue and character development.  Best examples:

MGS4
Advent Children
Star Wars Prequels
matrix 2 and 3.
Final Fantasy XIII

All of these are crap.  They all rely on special effects and have the most absurd bloat I have ever seen.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-15 17:57:25 by DLPB »

destroyedweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-04-15 18:09:23 »
Great stories can have nothing belieavable, it all depends on the way its presented and the way it evolves. If a story successfully inmerse you in its world, you will automaticlly be playing along with it whatever that world is.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-15 18:10:54 by destroyedweapon »

destroyedweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-04-15 18:11:19 »
Great stories can have nothing belieavable, it all depends on the way its presented and the way it evolves. If a story and enviroment successfully inmerse you in its world, you will automaticlly be playing along with it whatever that world is. For example: Zelda Majoras Mask and Shadow of The Colossus.

« Last Edit: 2011-04-15 18:16:59 by destroyedweapon »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-04-15 18:22:49 »
Great stories can have nothing belieavable, it all depends on the way its presented and the way it evolves. If a story and enviroment successfully inmerse you in its world, you will automaticlly be playing along with it whatever that world is. For example: Zelda Majoras Mask and Shadow of The Colossus.

And most SFX fests aren't presented very well.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-04-15 18:27:25 »

That is if the setting allows for totally unrealistic elements.  However, MGS is supposedly set on earth with humans in a sci fi genre. and thus, there are limitations to how often and how much you can get away with.  Bouncing off missiles and kicking chunks of ceiling out are examples of when this does not work.  Zelda is a completely different fiction (and none of what happens in Zelda is against its own laws or world).  MGS was originally sci fi fantasy, not pure fantasy.

If you repeatedly saw Snake have his head chopped off with a chainsaw and regrow a new body each time, you would lose all connection with the story.  There are limits to what you can get away with and how often.  It depends on a number of factors.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-15 18:30:04 by DLPB »

destroyedweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011-04-15 18:35:29 »
I dont think zelda is more fiction than MGS, they just happen in different timeline.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011-04-15 18:49:24 »
Don't even get me started on that piece of trash Twin Snakes. They might as well have named it MGS:Matrix edition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIKjUvhIep0

They also messed up the voice acting, because they redid it all, without any accents in anyone's voice The colonel didn't sound rough, naomi no longer had her british accent, mei ling went from sounding like a chinese person speaking english to one of those poor anime voice actors, and David Hayter's was the best, but some parts were kind of forced, which is surprising for Hayter's usually superb acting.

The music too, went from the awesome MGS1 music, to some crappily done music that didn't even fit. It was more MGS2's style of music, but It wasn't even nearly as good as MGS2's music.

The only good thing about that was having the M9 and gameplay enhancements from MGS2.

And for what it's worth, MGS1 was pretty realistic for what it was. Go play it again if you don't believe me. MGS3 was similar in that regard too, both very well done games.

That's the end of my rant.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011-04-15 18:55:45 »
They also messed up the voice acting, because they redid it all, without any accents in anyone's voice The colonel didn't sound rough, naomi no longer had her british accent, mei ling went from sounding like a chinese person speaking english to one of those poor anime voice actors, and David Hayter's was the best, but some parts were kind of forced, which is surprising for Hayter's usually superb acting.
I agree that the acting was subpar, though I don't mind that they took out the accents. The accents in the original were poorly done to begin with, and broke my suspension of disbelief more than the special effects in the remake.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #23 on: 2011-04-15 19:40:47 »
i had forgotten about the "added" cutscene effects.  that being said i still do prefer the psx version. the only cool think about the pc version is that it was the "intergral" version meaning it came with both MGS and MGS:VR missions (as its called here in the states)

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011-04-15 21:52:51 »
I agree that the acting was subpar, though I don't mind that they took out the accents. The accents in the original were poorly done to begin with, and broke my suspension of disbelief more than the special effects in the remake.

Really? I thought MGS's voice acting was some of the best I've ever heard, especially the guy who played Gray Fox in the original. I thought without their accents their acting just sounded dull and uninspired, and I had the same problem with MGS4.