12 (40%)
No
4 (13.3%)
I don't know
2 (6.7%)
I'm still a noob
12 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Join in the Grammar Nazism! (This thread needed renamed)  (Read 29813 times)

Opine

• View Profile
Re: Join in the Grammar Nazism! (This thread needed renamed)
« Reply #75 on: 2010-05-24 15:49:34 »
Aeristh the Weed Girl, etc.
Those aren't flowers she's selling...

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2010-05-25 00:18:02 »
Aeristh the Weed Girl, etc.

1 gil eh....?

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2010-05-25 02:22:58 »
Poppies anyone?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2010-05-29 02:51:48 »

I even took inspiration from everybody's favorite douche in a grey trenchcoat, because FF8 is my favorite PSX Final Fantasy game (please don't shoot me for saying this).

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2010-05-29 03:57:13 »
I even took inspiration from everybody's favorite douche in a grey trenchcoat, because FF8 is my favorite PSX Final Fantasy game (please don't shoot me for saying this).

*gasp*
*loads gun*

Say you're sorry!!!

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #80 on: 2010-05-29 05:18:18 »

O.O how'd you edit that, last time i tried to screw with that text, i screwed my game up

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2010-05-29 05:28:49 »
With ProudClod. Half an hour to figure out what program I needed (fiddled around in Makou Reactor, Loveless, and WallMarket before I figured out what I needed), and another two minutes to find the string and change it.

FF7 is a mess to work with. Field text is sorted by screen in flevel.lgp (and the screens are not named in any convenient manner), battle text is part of enemy AI in scene.bin, and everything else is in kernel.bin. I guess it makes sense, having everything put together with the engine that uses it (and stuff that both engine uses like item text are in the only place that both engines access), but it's still a pain in the butt to work with. I remember working on a Pokémon Red hack years ago (I never released it because it was garbage), it was MUCH easier with similar tools to what we have for FF7, because the game itself was simpler. Being a Game Boy game, all the data was in a single binary, all the text was easily accessible from the same window without having to find where it was used first.

When I make some more significant progress, I'll start a proper thread for this in Game Tweaking. AFAIK there's no other comedy-oriented mods for this game, so this could be quite original and unique.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #82 on: 2010-05-29 15:13:45 »
With ProudClod. Half an hour to figure out what program I needed (fiddled around in Makou Reactor, Loveless, and WallMarket before I figured out what I needed), and another two minutes to find the string and change it.

FF7 is a mess to work with. Field text is sorted by screen in flevel.lgp (and the screens are not named in any convenient manner), battle text is part of enemy AI in scene.bin, and everything else is in kernel.bin. I guess it makes sense, having everything put together with the engine that uses it (and stuff that both engine uses like item text are in the only place that both engines access), but it's still a pain in the butt to work with. I remember working on a Pokémon Red hack years ago (I never released it because it was garbage), it was MUCH easier with similar tools to what we have for FF7, because the game itself was simpler. Being a Game Boy game, all the data was in a single binary, all the text was easily accessible from the same window without having to find where it was used first.

When I make some more significant progress, I'll start a proper thread for this in Game Tweaking. AFAIK there's no other comedy-oriented mods for this game, so this could be quite original and unique.

i used proud clod to, but whenever i got to that battle, i crashed miserably

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2010-05-29 15:33:25 »

Wow I hope its soon. I want to edit some text in the game too. Like in the final battle Cloud will say "Die!!" or "Sephiroth!!" or something. My question is that is it possible to add new text in the battle scene?? There's no text in the final battle so I wonder if its possible. ???

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2010-05-29 18:44:05 »
Wow I hope its soon. I want to edit some text in the game too.
Wait, what? The tools are already out there. All I'm doing is using what's available. Nothing I do will be of any use to anybody for creating their own mods.

Like in the final battle Cloud will say "Die!!" or "Sephiroth!!" or something. My question is that is it possible to add new text in the battle scene?? There's no text in the final battle so I wonder if its possible. ???
I'm not entirely sure. I'm pretty sure it can be done by modifying enemy AI for that battle, but I haven't checked it out myself. NFITC1 would probably know the answer to that one.

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2010-05-29 19:12:10 »
The text in the battle is a scene in the flevel.lgp right?? Maybe I can find it with Loveless or Makou. Although I'd rather have a hard time finding the scenes  and I doubt I will ever add a new text since Loveless can only edit and not add new windows for text and I do believe Makou can't do it either for the battles.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2010-05-29 19:26:46 »
No. Battle text is part of enemy AI in scene.bin.

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2010-05-29 19:39:50 »
So it can be edited by NF1TC1's programs?? But there's some posts saying that it messes it up. Hmm adding text to the battle is the thing I want to add to the final battle. I wonder if he wants to update his program and make it possible to do this.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2010-05-29 19:46:31 »
Where would the Menu text be located? Like the Limit Break names and stuff.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2010-05-29 19:48:53 »
As far as I can tell, anything that's used in both the field AND in battle, such as item and command names, is in kernel.bin.

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2010-05-29 20:03:44 »
And the magic/summon stuff is in kernel2.bin. I was here in the forums for quite a time and I never knew of a program that edited scene.bin properly. I hope someone will comeup with a program like these. It will make battling interesting. :)
BTW Covarr-I see you know many things about the sounds or music in the game or at least how to run Ficedula's ff7music. Do you know how to edit or change the sound when a character attacks?? I used a program that can extract sounds from audio.dat in ff7 but I don't know how to put them back in it. I forgot about that program and deleted it since its not that helpful. *sigh* just wants to make Cloud talk when he attacks.  :(

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2010-05-29 20:05:24 »
No clue. I know FF7Music pretty well, but it can only do music, not sound effects.

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2010-05-29 20:19:54 »
Ohh.. There are so many things that can make this game much better. Hmm maybe I'll search for a way. Thanks anyways man but if you kind of stumble to things that is related to things like thise please let me know. :D

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #93 on: 2010-05-30 00:01:33 »
you know what would be funny, make it so anytime you have aeris and someone else in a fiht, anytime she tries a physical attack, the others insult her for being so weak

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2010-05-30 00:35:26 »
All dialogue and related field text is in the flevel.lgp and can be edited very easily with Loveless.

All in-battle text, including the names of attacks, special commands (such as Steal), summons, "LIMIT BREAK", and "Game Over" are all in the kernel2.bin and can be edited very easily with Wall Market.

All in-battle dialogue (such as Rufus laughing) is in the scene.bin and can be edited with Proud Clod, but it's not as easy.  If you don't understand well enough how AI works, you may well crash your game when you alter it.

The names of your characters are stored as save game data and can be changed using Jenova.

I think that covers everything text-wise.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2010-05-30 00:40:22 »
Not going to do that. Even if it were possible (it isn't unless I add it to EVERY SINGLE BATTLE MANUALLY), I'm pretty much only CHANGING things, not adding things. Especially in battles, because I really don't know muchanything about the way AI works in this game, and by using the same number of lines of dialog I should be able to avoid crashes easily enough.

However, I might be able to use something like that for individual parts of the story.