Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] Lunar Cry v1.5 - Enemy Upscale (2017-8-31)  (Read 133402 times)

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Lunar Cry v1.5 by MCINDUS
**NEW UPDATE 8/31/2017**
Update Includes:  Better hashes, colorfixes, and missing textures!

Lunar Cry is a Full Enemy Upscale for Final Fantasy VIII (FF8) STEAM 2013
~59/59 enemies completed~

Join my PATREON!

This mod is dependent on Tonberry v1.61 or higher - Get Tonberry HERE

Download:
Lunar Cry v1.5

If you like this mod, please Donate!

(If you have Tonberry installed, move to step 3.)

1.    Download "Tonberry v2.04: Enhanced" HERE
1.5  You also might need Microsoft VC++ Redistributable at this point:
      (x86 version HERE) (x64 version HERE)
2.   Install Tonberry and all of it's components
----------------------------------------------
3.   Unzip/Unpack "Lunar Cry v1.5" and merge the 'tonberry' and 'textures' files with the ones in your parent directory:
steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VIII/textures/
steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VIII/tonberry/

Special thanks to FatedCourage for finding several textures and helping me with the hash update!
Thanks to Omzy, JeMaCheHi, and Mavirick for Tonberry!

Screenshots:
Before/After

Before/After

Happy Modding,
MCINDUS
« Last Edit: 2019-09-12 12:01:23 by Mcindus »

JeMaCheHi

• You can just call me J!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel :D
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] Lunar Cry - FF8 Enemy Upscale (v1.2)
« Reply #1 on: 2015-03-01 19:04:40 »
Wow, this is cool Mcindus, thanks for your work.

We'll soon have a fully upscaled FF8 so... better to improve Tonberry ASAP xD

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #2 on: 2015-03-01 19:53:38 »
Wow, this is cool Mcindus, thanks for your work.

We'll soon have a fully upscaled FF8 so... better to improve Tonberry ASAP xD

My agenda:
SeeD Reborn v3.2 Italian (75% complete)
Tripod v1.1 German (75% complete)
Tripod v1.1 French (50% complete)
Tripod v1.1 Italian (50% complete)
Hellfire Pack (80% complete) - but until animations work, I probably won't release a pack.
Battlefields v1.0 (80% hashed, 10% complete)

And this does not include SeeD Reborn v3.3, Tripod v1.2, and HorizonPack v2.2 updates!
These last few are long-running and will most likely be out sometime before 2016.

As you can see above, I'm also working on doing the battlefield backgrounds.
Only a few of them will be completely overhauled (just like HorizonPack) but I really do feel the upscale is quite an improvement.  The world battlefields are easy to hash -- it's the instanced battle fields that are hard to mine through the game for.

JeMaCheHi

• You can just call me J!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel :D
« Reply #3 on: 2015-03-02 08:45:44 »

Hellfire Pack (80% complete) - but until animations work, I probably won't release a pack.

I know I know bro, animations and collisions are our biggest obstacle now. The good new is that Tonberry is now a two man project. Mavirick has joined and he is working hard on a bunch of hashing improvements, while I'm working on a better texture caching method. Just sit and wait ;)

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-03-03 20:10:44 »
I love these. I can't wait to try them out!

I'm still trying to remain patient and will play once everything gets overhauled more or less, but seeing this makes me want to cheat a bit ;)

Enkanel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-03-04 08:06:42 »
WOW
Thank you so much, I'm so glad to see all the things you guys are doing for this game, this is awesome! :)

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-03-04 08:48:27 »
Man, it looks like I'm going to have to hand Valve my $5 one of these days. Too many good graphical mods are coming out and I only have the original release :(

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #7 on: 2015-03-05 01:50:31 »
I love these. I can't wait to try them out!

I'm still trying to remain patient and will play once everything gets overhauled more or less, but seeing this makes me want to cheat a bit ;)

Now this was an awesome compliment! :) thanks!

WOW
Thank you so much, I'm so glad to see all the things you guys are doing for this game, this is awesome! :)

You're welcome! I'm happy you like the mods.  Anything I should do next? lol

Man, it looks like I'm going to have to hand Valve my $5 one of these days. Too many good graphical mods are coming out and I only have the original release :(

"too many good graphical mods" - why thank you.  8-)

All of these wonderful comments are the wind in my sails.  Thank you guys - I will keep them coming.

Cerberus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015-03-12 15:33:12 »
Well this is my first post but never the less I just wanted to report the issue I had!
(Sidenote: I am planning to start working on mods and join in on the fun of remaking pieces of FFVIII!)

@Mcindus, Everything you have done for this game thus far has made me super excited, I have already put in about 15 hours in the past two day!

Anyhow I have run into a graphical error, I will edit and post a photo asap.
The error is with Carbuncle, instead of green he/she becomes red and has texture tearing. <<This only happened after installing Lunar Cry.

Edit:
« Last Edit: 2015-03-12 15:58:47 by Cerberus »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #9 on: 2015-03-12 20:55:14 »
Well this is my first post but never the less I just wanted to report the issue I had!
(Sidenote: I am planning to start working on mods and join in on the fun of remaking pieces of FFVIII!)

@Mcindus, Everything you have done for this game thus far has made me super excited, I have already put in about 15 hours in the past two day!

The error is with Carbuncle, instead of green he/she becomes red and has texture tearing. <<This only happened after installing Lunar Cry.

Edit:

Do you have collisions.csv and hash2map.csv in the tonberry folder?  Find them on the tonberry 2.0 post under the main post (in my post) or in the original Tonberry 1.5 download

Cerberus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2015-03-12 21:30:36 »

Do you have collisions.csv and hash2map.csv in the tonberry folder?  Find them on the tonberry 2.0 post under the main post (in my post) or in the original Tonberry 1.5 download
Thanks for the heads up, I reinstalled Tonberry and that fixed the issue! ^-^

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2015-03-12 21:43:57 »
hey

does this mod make the bosses ten times more harder to beat

Faendra

• French guy, sorry if my english is no good ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2015-03-12 22:15:07 »
No, it's a texture mod, not a gameplay mod.

FcS35

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2015-06-22 00:39:03 »
No, it's a texture mod, not a gameplay mod.

hum.... are you sure ? I'm in sand prison and exoskelet hit me like 1500HP with "Micro-Missile" then I've instal this mod

Stiverton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2015-06-28 00:35:51 »

Edit:

I am having this exact same problem.  I have collisions.csv and hash2map.csv in the tonberry folder.  I was using the files that came in the Tonberry 2.04 download.  I tried using the files in your post (the one right after the main post) as well, and the files from the 1.5 release but neither fixed the problem.

I also just tried reinstalling tonberry and lunar cry, but the problem is still there.

Also I just tried enabling debug mode and then summoning Carbuncle but no files showed up in any of the debug subfolders.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-28 01:06:17 by Stiverton »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #15 on: 2015-06-28 08:57:36 »
Make sure you're using an updated version of Rebirth Flame, if you're using it.  If you're using the old rebirth flame objmap codes, this will most likely happen due to minor collisions.  Let me know if that helped!

Stiverton

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2015-06-28 14:30:11 »
Make sure you're using an updated version of Rebirth Flame, if you're using it.  If you're using the old rebirth flame objmap codes, this will most likely happen due to minor collisions.  Let me know if that helped!

I'm using version 1.1 of Rebirth Flame, which is the newest version listed there.  I tried reinstalling it and the problem persists.

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 2015-06-29 00:11:09 »
I'm using version 1.1 of Rebirth Flame, which is the newest version listed there.  I tried reinstalling it and the problem persists.

Have you tried using Project Hellfire? Using the hashmap from that and the upscaled GF textures might fix your problems.

Edit: Actually, if you do use it it will probably work. Just disabled mine for a test, had the problem happen. With it in use, it goes away.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-29 00:34:21 by FatedCourage »

Stiverton

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2015-06-29 01:21:44 »
Hey, no I haven't, where can I download that mod?  I only see the hashmap on the Tonberry Enhanced post.

EDIT: So I put the Project Hellfire hashmap file into Tonberry and the problem is fixed.  I thought there would also need to be texture files, but maybe I am wrong?  At any rate, Carbuncle once again has skin!  Thank you guys so much for the help, I really appreciate it!

EDIT EDIT: Dug through some posts and found that the Project Hellfire textures appear to be work in progress.  The textures I could find were here http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15668.msg223269#msg223269 (make sure you get the replacement texture from the 2nd post down unless you want shiva to be nude)

Hopefully if there is a next guy this will help him.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-29 01:47:36 by Stiverton »

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 2015-06-29 02:00:42 »
Hey, no I haven't, where can I download that mod?  I only see the hashmap on the Tonberry Enhanced post.

EDIT: So I put the Project Hellfire hashmap file into Tonberry and the problem is fixed.  I thought there would also need to be texture files, but maybe I am wrong?  At any rate, Carbuncle once again has skin!  Thank you guys so much for the help, I really appreciate it!

EDIT EDIT: Dug through some posts and found that the Project Hellfire textures appear to be work in progress.  The textures I could find were here http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15668.msg223269#msg223269 (make sure you get the replacement texture from the 2nd post down unless you want shiva to be nude)

Hopefully if there is a next guy this will help him.

Oh? I wasn't sure whether having the textures mattered or not... But that's good to know. I'm glad it fixed your problem!

It's good for people to know, yes.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-29 02:04:44 by FatedCourage »

Fendera

• Your friendly neighbor :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2015-07-11 08:31:07 »
Have you tried using Project Hellfire? Using the hashmap from that and the upscaled GF textures might fix your problems.

Edit: Actually, if you do use it it will probably work. Just disabled mine for a test, had the problem happen. With it in use, it goes away.

I had the same issue with Carbuncle! Thank you, just using the hashmap file from project hellfire fixed it for me.

CC-King

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2015-07-28 11:32:45 »
Wow great work,  the monsters look so much better   :)

« Reply #22 on: 2015-08-04 23:33:20 »
stumbled across a youtube video from mcindus earlier today while having a nostalgic look at some ff8 videos. it was the video that explained how to install the mods. just wanted to register to say thanks, was very simple to follow and all is up and running and I must say it looks AMAZING.

I now have no choice but to play through the game again. thanks for all your hard work, the difference really is incredible. how fantastic that a game can be kept alive and improved by its fans like this. keep it up!

cheers

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #23 on: 2015-08-13 03:22:00 »
stumbled across a youtube video from mcindus earlier today while having a nostalgic look at some ff8 videos. it was the video that explained how to install the mods. just wanted to register to say thanks, was very simple to follow and all is up and running and I must say it looks AMAZING.

I now have no choice but to play through the game again. thanks for all your hard work, the difference really is incredible. how fantastic that a game can be kept alive and improved by its fans like this. keep it up!

cheers
Wow great work,  the monsters look so much better   :)

Wow. Now that's great praise! :)  Just giving the community everything I wanted to have when I played.  From one fan, to as many others as I can reach.  Thank you! Awesome name.  Posts like these make all the time and effort feel completely worth it.

I really have too much on my plate right now, but I think I've finished Ifrit, Brothers, and Shiva and will be moving on to Quetzacotl, Siren, and Leviathan next.

eXistenZe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2015-10-11 20:32:51 »
Hey there...
Noticed that when you are fighting a bomb and some other enemy (like the big snake I don't remember the name when you are approaching the blue light to get bahamut), the textures from the bomb appear on the other enemies.
I'll try to take a screenshot next time.