Author Topic: [FF7PC] Superboss Rush Challenge (v1.1)  (Read 23875 times)

Karifean

• View Profile
[FF7PC] Superboss Rush Challenge (v1.1)
« on: 2014-01-16 21:15:14 »
Final Fantasy VII - Superboss Rush Challenge

Version 1.1, Made by Karifean

DOWNLOAD VERSION 1.1

File Type: RAR, includes one EXE file (patcher) and one TXT file (readme).

What is this?

This is a slight modification of Final Fantasy VII PC, simply changing the "Hall of Beginners" in Junon to a "Hall of Battles". In there, you can fight all the storyline bosses in order, but they've all been made into superbosses! Do you think you can beat them?

The idea is that you install this mod, load up your best save file and give these bosses a try. There're no rewards for it, it's just to challenge yourself. All bosses' AIs and stats have been reworked. Many of them still act in a similar fashion as their original versions did, but none are the same. How far can you get before you get (your first) Game Over?

I strongly urge you not to use any of the 'forbidden' items or materia. They are classified as such for a reason.

How to install this mod?

The following files from an English FF7 PC installation are required:
scene.bin, KERNEL.BIN, flevel.lgp, battle.lgp

Copy them into a separate directory, all together, and then let the patcher run. Replace the original files with the patched ones (don't forget to make backups of the original files!) and you're done!

Note: Even though the KERNEL.BIN must be updated, this is solely for the scene.bin lookup table. Character stats and materia functions etc. are completely unchanged.

Further information can be taken from the Readme.

Special Thanks goes to SegaChief, XeroKynos, NTIFC1 and GeneralIronside for helping when I needed it. You guys are awesome!

Screenshots

Rufus has been playing some FFX-2.

Reno is not oblivious to the power of his Pyramids.
« Last Edit: 2019-04-05 17:38:04 by Karifean »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: [REL/FF7] Superboss Rush Challenge v1.1 PC
« Reply #1 on: 2014-01-16 21:17:26 »
Most creative mod idea I've seen in a while. A+

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-01-16 22:04:14 »
Junon's Hall is correctly "Experts' Hall"  The Beginners' Hall is in Midgar :)

Karifean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-01-16 22:18:37 »
Junon's Hall is correctly "Experts' Hall"  The Beginners' Hall is in Midgar :)

Quote from: Junon, FF7
“This is the Beginner's Hall (Intermediate)!”

That's good enough for me.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 2014-01-17 07:13:47 »
I was thinking of doing something like this (except it would allow you to just re-fight the bosses as-is plus four uber bosses) as a reward for finding all hidden items (some day when I pick up N7 again)
Good to see someone else had an even better idea for it.

I can't install it right now. Did you give the NCPs dialogue choices and upon selection pull a battle from the scene.bin?
What are you doing about the 'set music for battle'?
Did you change the background layers for the encounters in the scene?
Is this monster hall triggered by a gamemoment variable or is it technically always available?
Do you have to have fought a boss before you can fight the super boss version? (again, gamemoment variable)
Will the super boss version replace the boss in his original location if you play the game normally?(Since there are only so many bosses and there are actually a lot of empty slots it should be possible to combine this)

ManuBBXX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-01-17 11:24:10 »
Amazing idea man !!  8)

Karifean

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-01-17 11:26:42 »
Did you give the NCPs dialogue choices and upon selection pull a battle from the scene.bin?

Exactly.

What are you doing about the 'set music for battle'?

Birth of a God plays during the battles. But if you don't like it, PC FF7 always gives you the option to turn off the music and have your own playing in the background.

Did you change the background layers for the encounters in the scene?

Yes, the background is the Battle Square Arena.

Is this monster hall triggered by a gamemoment variable or is it technically always available?
Do you have to have fought a boss before you can fight the super boss version? (again, gamemoment variable)
Will the super boss version replace the boss in his original location if you play the game normally?(Since there are only so many bosses and there are actually a lot of empty slots it should be possible to combine this)

Since this mod is made to be played with a high-level team at the end of the game, the Hall of Battles is always available and yes, the bosses replace the original versions - except for the final boss battles because I wanted you to still be able to play normally as long as you're in the endgame. I think if you try talking to the NPCs in there while you're in the Shinra uniform on your first visit to here, the game is likely to lock up.

If you were to try playing a new game with these changes intact, Guard Scorpion will probably be an insurmountable barrier.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-01-17 15:29:31 »
Looking forward to seeing how the fights have evolved since the beta; I'll be trying it on Active like you suggested  :cry:

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 2014-01-18 10:57:00 »
Pretty much what I thought you did. It's a good idea and something nice for the endgame.
Do you have a list of how many bosses are fightable?
Have you thought about moving them to previously empty or dummied out scenes so you could have this as an optional add-on to the game instead of a conversion? In theory you should be able to copy entire scenes and just adjust the battle called for that.

How long did it take you to create the new attacks, AI and(?) animations(if any)?

Karifean

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-01-19 02:42:27 »
Do you have a list of how many bosses are fightable?

Guard Scorpion, Air Buster, Aps, Reno, Sample:H0512, Hundred Gunner, Heli Gunner, Rufus + Dark Nation, Motor Ball, Midgar Zolom, Bottomswell, Jenova:BIRTH, Dyne, Reno + Rude, Gi Nattak, Materia Keeper, Palmer, Red Dragon, Demon's Gate, Jenova:LIFE, Schizo, Jenova:DEATH, Corel Train, CMD Grand Horn, Carry Armor, Rude, Diamond WEAPON, Elena + Reno + Rude, Proud Clod, Lifeform Hojo N, Jenova:SYNTHESIS, Sephiroth.

Have you thought about moving them to previously empty or dummied out scenes so you could have this as an optional add-on to the game instead of a conversion? In theory you should be able to copy entire scenes and just adjust the battle called for that.

Well I kinda started modifying some bosses and it eventually evolved into what it became. Had I from the start decided to make ths a mod, I might've done that. Although I'm not sure if there would've been enough free spaces...

How long did it take you to create the new attacks, AI and(?) animations(if any)?

No new animations, just a lot of ProudClod'ing. As for AI, I always tried to at least keep the spirit of the original battle a little bit. Take Guard Scorpion for example. He still uses his Search Scope, but for one, it reduces your HP to 1, secondly, he casts Bolt3 on himself during his Tail Phase, and third, his Rifle inflicts Berserk which might cause a character to trigger his counter. Aps was a lot simpler, I just adjusted his abilities a bit to make them more unique and had him absorb Water. From that point it was just determining when he should use what.

Some bosses had an entirely redone AI and attacks, like Rufus. A lot of the multi-enemy battles are similar in nature though, there's one that takes care of the other while one is the big hitter.

I spent a lot more time planning than coding. All in all, I'd say one boss on average took around 5 hours' time.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #10 on: 2014-01-19 11:30:16 »
... just a lot of ProudClod'ing.

I feel I should apologize for that. :( It may be the only tool, but it's not great.

Also, does this affect the other boss encounters or is this just a battle arena battle string?

Karifean

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-01-19 12:11:31 »
I feel I should apologize for that. :( It may be the only tool, but it's not great.

I'll gladly overlook the flaws of the tool in favor of what the tool makes possible.

Also, does this affect the other boss encounters or is this just a battle arena battle string?

This does affect the actual encounters with the bosses in the main game. The battles are just together in one long string, Hojo-style.

WolfMan

• One whos possessed by nothing possesses evrything
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC] Superboss Rush Challenge (v1.1)
« Reply #12 on: 2014-09-12 22:02:22 »
Can anyone who has recently installed the current version of Super Boss Rush mod please do me a huge favor. PM me the flevel.lgp from the FF7\Data\Field?? It has to be done from someone who has manually installed the gameplay mod. If you used 7H it won't work. I need this so I can patch some animations that have problems when using my red werewolf mod. This would be soooo helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

sapence

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2018-08-30 11:24:06 »
The mod is good overall but there is an issue it replaces the normal story bosses as well and it is pretty much impossible to beat them unless you are level 70 + with the best equipment there which is not possible unless you use save editor.

UpRisen

• Again... AVALANCHE is born again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2018-08-30 14:23:31 »
The mod is good overall but there is an issue it replaces the normal story bosses as well and it is pretty much impossible to beat them unless you are level 70 + with the best equipment there which is not possible unless you use save editor.

Thats because he edited the bosses then just calls for the battles in the flevel in the location. The way to avoid this would have been to use some of the empty groups and copy the bosses then edit the copies. But the initial post tells you to use a save from later in the game

The idea is that you install this mod, load up your best save file and give these bosses a try.