Author Topic: [FF7PC] Post bug reports here [use The Reunion thread instead]  (Read 85240 times)

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC] The Big Bad Bug Database - post bug reports here
« Reply #125 on: 2017-08-14 19:44:14 »
Have we ever addressed the issue with mtcrl_3?

I had encountered once myself but it is very rare, so I mostly forget about that. Maybe a side effect of the faster loading time?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2017-08-14 19:45:29 »
Yeah, I fixed it.  It's caused by poor scripting (the models should be hidden in the init section and aren't being - they're being hidden after a delay).  Probably doesn't "show up" on PSX due to load differences, fade differences.  But it's there too.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2017-08-15 02:45:51 »
Yeah, I fixed it.  It's caused by poor scripting (the models should be hidden in the init section and aren't being - they're being hidden after a delay).  Probably doesn't "show up" on PSX due to load differences, fade differences.  But it's there too.

So this can be prevented if the delay in Init to hide a model is removed?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2017-08-15 03:34:38 »
There is no delay in an init.  The init section is there precisely to set up models to be shown / hidden - or other things that must happen at field load.  The init section is executed as fast as your cpu will allow - which is virtually instant UNLESS you place an instruction that has a natural delay there (like Wait).  If you use a loop in init, the field will simply not load, as the game will not be able to progress past init.

What they did in the above field (iirc) is to place the model hide/show data outside of init (like Main) - and using script call instructions - which added a delay long enough that the PC screen will fade in before the model instructions were reached.  This is also a big problem in numerous other areas on the PSX as well as PC, where the script programmer made a mess of how script calls work, leading to a delay in models being shown or hidden before / after fades.

The issue is made worse by the fact the execution limit per group is set default to 8 instructions a frame maximum. So if your "hide model" instruction is in main and on byte 24 (25th byte), then it will take 4 frames to reach that instruction under the best case scenario. If you had a wait 10 there... then it would take 14 frames. If you had a "move model to X" there, then it won't be reached for 14 frames + the time it takes model to move to X. And so on.

That's why init should literally be used for initialize instructions only. The setting of positions and initial vars / math.  Not anything that the engine has a natural delay for.  And definitely not script calls - which will probably be ignored by the engine anyway... not sure.

See here

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15956.msg250079#msg250079
« Last Edit: 2017-08-15 03:51:40 by DLPB »

[email protected]

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2017-08-16 23:48:54 »
« Last Edit: 2019-05-06 12:03:00 by Cicciolo »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2017-08-16 23:52:10 »
Yeah, all sfx related issues are likely fixed because I have replaced the audio functions entirely.

[email protected]

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2017-08-17 13:46:50 »
« Last Edit: 2019-05-06 12:03:12 by Cicciolo »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2017-08-17 13:52:14 »
Yeah im a bit behind adding it and Im waiting to test it with my own dll but am far too busy atm.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2017-09-03 14:23:22 »
I am going to have to somehow merge my databases...  at the moment I am duplicating too much crap.  I am updating the database with latest bug issues sent to me here and in PM.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2017-09-10 11:25:56 »
Shikun spotted a plot hole.  I've looked into it and fixed it by removing the the exposition.

Major plot hole: Only one NPC mentions the Undersea Mako Reactor before Cait does aboard the Highwind (after Midhir).  Other NPCs start to talk about it after Midhir. This is a problem because Cid immediately knows that the last Huge Materia is at the Undersea reactor after the Corel/Fort Condor mission.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2017-09-10 16:17:55 »
Junon March.  Don't talk to the captain.  I forgot to close the dialogue box.  So you are stuck there forever if you do haha.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #136 on: 2017-09-11 04:19:21 »
Shikun spotted a plot hole.  I've looked into it and fixed it by removing the the exposition.

Major plot hole: Only one NPC mentions the Undersea Mako Reactor before Cait does aboard the Highwind (after Midhir).  Other NPCs start to talk about it after Midhir. This is a problem because Cid immediately knows that the last Huge Materia is at the Undersea reactor after the Corel/Fort Condor mission.

While a poor excuse narratively, you can explain it away that the group gained the knowledge of it during that week in Junon we don't see because if Tifa's coma. It would make sense that since they were there a week while supposedly being Shinra's guests that they would learn of the reactor. It does beg the question of how they learned the huge materia was there as that was supposed to be a secret IIRC.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2017-09-11 04:30:34 »
We're with Cid all the way up to that point (he's team leader), and the exposition comes just out of nowhere. It wouldn't be so bad if someone had mentioned it directly a few times, but I think the writers of the scene assumed this would be taken care of.  And it never was.  So then no one went back and amended.  Then you have Cait later on with his revelation that the last one is at the undersea reactor.  And then you think "yeah.. so? I know."
« Last Edit: 2017-09-11 04:32:28 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2017-09-20 09:47:41 »
OK, apparently there is a bug in FF7 where the characters in cutscenes don't show up because of some issue with the party - perhaps PHS/New party field opcode breaking something.  So far, I haven't been able to replicate.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: 2017-09-21 05:17:18 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2017-10-01 23:55:16 »
https://gyazo.com/6381e2596f89182922f6d57b65c00e27

Spy__Dragon added Kal's shadow for Diamond Weapon, but it looks to me like FF7 engine can't handle the large size of the texture.  There must be a limit.  So we'll need to separate the model into segments to make this work.  But it does look promising.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2017-10-04 12:15:35 »
I don't think it is the model. Texture-wise we can go as high as we want. 4k is pretty possible, even 8k might work. I guess Melenia's Cloud has a 2k texture. Though, it's hard to tell where the problem is, without seeing it in motion. It could be that the orientation is wrong and the model does clip with the ground or it clips with the cam. It's a pretty close view after all. From what I can see I would say the model isn't plain and not near enough to the camera and does clip with the ground as well as with Cloud.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2017-10-04 12:31:28 »
Yeah but I am talking about the dimensions.   Not the file size.

Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2017-10-04 12:51:04 »
Yeah but I am talking about the dimensions.   Not the file size.

That's what 4k and 8k and such stand for. Approximate pixel count across the horizontal axis. I, for one, hate those terms because they're really not what texture resolutions should be called.

Out of curiosity, Kal, how many polygons are in that shadow model?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2017-10-04 12:51:46 »
It also doesn't tell you the dimensions... limits could be across either axis. A pixel count tells you nothing about dimension.

Melenia's Cloud has a 2k texture

The Cloud model isn't a rectangle shape that has a vert and hor dimension anywhere near this shadow.
« Last Edit: 2017-10-04 12:53:58 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2017-10-10 19:39:15 »
Anyone else ever realize that after 2 or so jumps at the Support under Junon, the dolphin actually places you exactly on the spot you need to be to get onto the beam?  I always thought it was strange, but now I think it's actually a remnant from the programmer testing it.  Probably forgot to make sure it wouldn't do that.  Or maybe it was on purpose to make it easier.

In any case, with Weapon mod, I will remedy it.

Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2017-10-10 19:50:02 »
By the way, it just occurred to me, but have you done anything regarding Cid's Hyper Jump sometimes crashing the game? I'm not entirely sure if it's PC-exclusive, but I don't remember encountering that on PSX ever. I couldn't find this in the database, so I think it best to bring it up now rather than late, just in case.

Oddly enough, the crash almost definitely has to do something with the Death status, because the crashes stopped once I removed the status from the attack.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2017-10-10 20:00:36 »
I heard about that... Probably from you. I haven't seen it happen, though.  It probably is entirely PC issue.  When I did 60fps mod, I also noticed I had to fix Tifa's limit from crashing. I will look into it.  Does it always happen?

Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2017-10-10 20:13:14 »
It's not 100% consistent. Very likely to happen against bosses though, based on what I gathered from searching some of the old posts here. Apparently, the first fight with Ultima Weapon is the most common reported time, but I'm going to assume that's just because people coincidentally tend to have Cid's Limit Level at 2 at the point in the story, (unless they had been grinding it before) so the issue just happens to surface there more often.

[email protected]

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2017-10-10 21:55:35 »
« Last Edit: 2019-05-06 12:05:14 by Cicciolo »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2017-10-10 23:01:34 »
So there we are.  It crashes only when the limit is used on an enemy that is immune to death.  The only fixes in Steam etc are the ones that this community made and which Aali added to his dll "driver". So this one has never been fixed, like hundreds of others.

It shouldn't be hard for me to see what accesses the status flag and then work from there reversing it.  I'll look into it tonight.