Author Topic: [WIP/ALPHA REL]Battle Interface Reconstruction  (Read 207855 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Re: Battle Inferface Reconstruction [WIP]
« Reply #50 on: 2010-06-13 20:50:59 »
I think textures have to be in a power of 2

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2010-06-13 20:59:25 »
Texture dimensions have to be a power of 2 to be compatible with older hardware and drivers. At the moment it's not difficult to find cards that don't support NPOT textures though, so if you intend to release something it would be best to resize accordingly.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2010-06-13 21:01:42 »
Not the bars themselves, but the gray object that holds the bars.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2010-06-13 21:05:19 »
I posted the texture at the right size. I guess the problem is that imageshack/yfrog.com resizes it on the main page.
Try to zoom on it, Jeff, and save the big texture instead. I guess it should fix the problem.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-13 21:06:59 by Armorvil »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2010-06-13 21:20:36 »
Will do..also as I said what can I do about the Barriers/Limit/ATB Gray bars....

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2010-06-13 21:28:02 »
I was just uploading the images as you typed that ;)
You can find my btlbh_01 and btlbh_07 here. Just remember to zoom on each pics before downloading them.
I just hope Nikfrozty is right about the important files being those 2. I don't know which do what : I just edited all of them. So if it still doesn't work after trying those, tell me and I'll just rar my menu textures and upload them all at once.

EDIT :

Actually, to get this out of the way, I just uploaded all of them to megaupload. Link here.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-13 21:38:20 by Armorvil »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2010-06-13 21:33:39 »
Allright Ima do all this now.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2010-06-14 00:46:50 »
OK i have just finished resizing the magic menu and e-skill windows (or at least i think i have), I will start work on summon,item,limit and coin tomorrow (throw uses the same as item so i don't need to worry about doing that)

how are you planning on implementing these patches? Something similar to the way the YAMP patches were installed i guess?
I had planned on just releasing a patch using the same program Saint used for his high res patch or maybe with codefusion3 (don't confuse this with the other program called "code fusion"), Or i could make a installer what would copy the patch to the FF7 folder and patch the EXE for you, or i could try making a loader so that people won't have to patch their EXE's they just run their game from the loader instead.
Which would you prefere ?

I was wondering if you could post the edited files so I can apply this particular UI to my game. Do I just need to override a .png file in the Final Fantasy VII\textures\MenuArt folder for that too? I'm sick of the gap at the bottom.
I haven't released it yet, its still just a WIP, i may make a ALPHA release when i get the sub windows sorted (like summon,item etc).

I think textures have to be in a power of 2
Was this directed at me or at jeffdamann ? (i just want to be clear on this)

I was just uploading the images as you typed that ;)
You can find my btlbh_01 and btlbh_07 here. Just remember to zoom on each pics before downloading them.
I just hope Nikfrozty is right about the important files being those 2. I don't know which do what : I just edited all of them. So if it still doesn't work after trying those, tell me and I'll just rar my menu textures and upload them all at once.

EDIT :

Actually, to get this out of the way, I just uploaded all of them to megaupload. Link here.

Some nice work there Armorvil, when i complete this (version 1 at least) i will try your modified PNG's, but from what i can see from your screenshots they look pretty good (but i am unsure how the bar's will look without a background, without a background they may be hard to see).

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2010-06-14 01:19:31 »
Bars look AWESOME with no background, however I feel in the MENU that the letters should be moved because they look out of place with the bar.

And if you dont like the transparent bars, it might be nice to see the proper parts on the prper file replaced with a new darker bar that only rests behind other bars.

I mean something similar to ff9's bars. Notice how they have to fill a black space but DO NOT HAVE BORDERS?(I use caps instead of bold...)
Maybe that would look nice

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #59 on: 2010-06-14 17:51:31 »
I'm guessing this would be quite tricky to implement, but how feasible are dynamically changing bars? I remember Eight using different colours to signify haste / slow / stop states on the time bar. We *should* know where in the memory map Status:Haste / Slow / Stop are, though.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2010-06-14 18:20:23 »
Bars look AWESOME with no background, however I feel in the MENU that the letters should be moved because they look out of place with the bar.

And if you dont like the transparent bars, it might be nice to see the proper parts on the prper file replaced with a new darker bar that only rests behind other bars.

I mean something similar to ff9's bars. Notice how they have to fill a black space but DO NOT HAVE BORDERS?(I use caps instead of bold...)
Maybe that would look nice

This could be easily done if you modify the png's and get rid of the surround on the limit bars and make behind it black.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2010-06-14 19:10:02 »
I know, I would do it myself but I cant even tell a diff in the original files and the ones I replaced em with, so I have no Idea what to edit.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2010-06-15 00:53:40 »
OK guys this is just a progress report, So far i have found all the values for magic,summon,item,e-skill,Change,Defend and i have nearly finished limit break sub menu, i just need to find the background values (the pink doesn't move with the box so i need to find the values for it separately).
Tomorrow (well later today now since its 1.53am) i will be working on coin and the magic sub menu for status (like when you are using cure etc) and the manip menu then i will try and finish off limit break, and i think that will do it for menu's, i will then need to start work on the eye opener and the flash animation but i am not sure if i can do anything about these (i mean i may not be able to do it, i am not saying its impossible for anyone else to do it).

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2010-06-15 01:11:38 »
What flash animation?

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2010-06-15 01:19:27 »
i ment the spell flash, if you look at the 2nd video on the first post of this thread, where i summon Knights of Round whenever the spell flash's a small bar appears in the middle of the screen where the old menu was (i am not actually sure if its the spell's fault or the animation's fault, if anyone does know more on this please let me know)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2010-06-15 03:05:49 »
I don't think they would constantly code each animation to stop at that point.  I'd guess it's more likely that the flash and eyeopener and other animations like that are told to stop at that point.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2010-06-15 03:38:43 »
i will then need to start work on the eye opener and the flash animation but i am not sure if i can do anything about these (i mean i may not be able to do it, i am not saying its impossible for anyone else to do it).

Also note that the new battle interface shows strange graphics at the bottom when summoning Odin.
But yeah I think the Odin glitch and the 'white flash' are the only problems found so far.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #67 on: 2010-06-15 03:39:26 »
I didn't think the viewing render went below this line. I guess if this works I'll have to change the way PrC displays the camera angle views as I think many of them would want to be changed if this could work. Lots of wasted space at the bottom of the screen otherwise.

The camera's center is also meant to be at the center of the viewable area. If that could be changed this would be wonderful!

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2010-06-16 14:59:26 »
OK i have Resized & Moved all the text etc for all the battle menu's now (at least i think i have, i don't think i have missed any) so they are at the bottom of the screen, i have also found the values for the "Eye Opener" but i can't get it to look exactly like the original since it won't go below a certain point but i have managed to move it so it doesn't look as bad as it did.
Also for the Transparent version i have left colour in the help box and the top box since it didn't look right in the last video.
None Transparent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14YPb9GP5rs

Transparent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4CRzCx6R4Y

I am still looking for that white flash animation but so far i haven't had any luck, if i can't find it i may have to release it as is (like in those video's)
If any one can see anything i have missed let me know (or if you can think of anything i can do to improve it let me know)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2010-06-16 15:01:05 »
Hmmm, I'm not sure if anyone else has brought this up yet, but the title of this thread should really be changed to "Battle Interface Reconstruction" ;D

Kranmer

• View Profile
Re: Battle Interface Reconstruction [WIP]
« Reply #70 on: 2010-06-16 15:03:37 »
Hmmm, I'm not sure if anyone else has brought this up yet, but the title of this thread should really be changed to "Battle Interface Reconstruction" ;D
Hahahahahaha, i hadn't noticed, I have fixed the name now. Thanks

dragowulf

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2010-07-01 22:10:02 »
Honestly, I prefer something new.  Yeah nostalgia blah blah blah.  Come on, we don't need frames or borders.  Give me the bare basics and I'm good.  I prefer the newer FF game battle interface style.

Quick mockup.  Easy, light, why not?  Just need to add the other stuff and it would look awesome.

It doesn't need to be all fat and take up the majority of the screen.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-01 22:12:26 by dragowulf »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2010-07-01 22:20:27 »
I sort of agree, put a simple Hp, Mp, time display on the right(find a place for barriers, and Then make the command windows coincide with that same area of screen and we could save the whole bottom-left corner of the screen.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2010-07-01 22:25:37 »
Yeah nostalgia blah blah blah.

Nice attempt at poisoning the well against anyone who disagrees with you. Honestly, I think we need something that fits with the visual style of the rest of the game. Yeah neophilia blah blah blah, Come on, we don't need anything that looks out of place in the game.

Make some new fonts and do a menu overhaul and your new interface might work. ;D

dragowulf

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2010-07-01 22:33:20 »
Yeah nostalgia blah blah blah.

Nice attempt at poisoning the well against anyone who disagrees with you. Honestly, I think we need something that fits with the visual style of the rest of the game. Yeah neophilia blah blah blah, Come on, we don't need anything that looks out of place in the game.

Make some new fonts and do a menu overhaul and your new interface might work. ;D
Look, yes I love the game, but if you're going to improve on the graphics make it better, not the same with a little flash and transparency.

I'm not for sugar coating a turd, because after all...it's still a turd.

I already have fonts and I can make graphics.  I just have no idea how to do the rest, otherwise I would.  The mockup didn't just come out of my ass (although it took like 5 minutes to do).

Just sayin.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-01 22:36:18 by dragowulf »