Author Topic: [WIP/REL] Final Fantasy VII - Final Fantasy VIII style  (Read 80181 times)

ultima espio

• View Profile
Well guys, its possible. The characters CAN follow you around just like in FF8.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKQxToCFP-k

Screens:

How does this work?
Well, remember the man in Corel Prison that follows Cloud around? Its basically just an extension of that code. Instead of following Cloud, 1 character is programmed to follow Character 0 (the controlled character) and the other is programmed to follow character 1. I did have them both following character 0 at one point, but they kept clashing with each other. It will work with any character that is the leader.

I *Think* its possible to control whoever is in the top character slot. I'll have to look into that more. In the meantime, you may discuss this. :)
« Last Edit: 2014-01-27 15:31:57 by ultima espio »

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Final Fantasy VII - Final Fantasy VIII syle
« Reply #1 on: 2010-07-19 13:21:43 »
If you do that.. Would we have to edit every field file too in the flevel.lgp?

Miseru

• "Help! One of my main characters is black!" - xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-07-19 13:22:13 »
So that's what was taking you from Aeris patch:P. Well the little refresh can be nice from it, but I dunno if that will not make problems with scenes that use split/join. :P So you're planning that on just some fields, or it's global? And does it work on world map?*thinking about chocobo x3* xD

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-07-19 13:25:29 »
If you do that.. Would we have to edit every field file too in the flevel.lgp?

It would have to be done for every level. Playing as whoever is in the top slot has a few problems though, like in Mideel when you find Cloud, the game crashes unless you play as Tifa.

I have found a code that lets you switch characters after talking to them, for example with the Aeris patch, i gave her text on the highwind, and if you pick yes, you play as Aeris. Its quite fun actually lol.

EDIT: Sorry, almost ignored you :P

No, it wont work on the world map. You have to do it for EVERY level. Although its just a simple copy and paste, and in some cases you may have to do a little tweaking.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-19 13:29:36 by ultima espio »

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-07-19 13:30:29 »
Well, remember the man in Corel Prison that follows Cloud around? Its basically just an extension of that code.

That's quite the clever idea! Though I personally never liked the way FFVIII did that. However...

I *Think* its possible to control whoever is in the top character slot.

THIS would be very cool!

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: 2010-07-19 13:40:36 »
Question. How would this work for say, when Barret walks straight into the back of Cloud after the cutscene and dissapears into him. Would he just instantly appear behind Cloud, or would you have to modify code so that he didn't do that anyway?

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-07-19 13:46:31 »
Cutscenes just do this:

Miseru

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-07-19 13:55:38 »
 Well I was thinking how stuff is controled on world map, couse there are some pickups available by chocobos later ingame, entering locations and stuff, that's also must be scripted somehow, soo maybe same script could be used on world map. I can't imagine where it is and most likely nobody made a tool to do something with it if it's not even hardcoded.:C World_us.lgp? Or .bot/.map files? Just wonder, couse on the world map that could look better maybe.

The idea of changing leading chara - even better I second that, but it would need to reset if a scene starts or it would completely mess the scripts(probably:P).

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-07-19 13:58:53 »
Another question. What will happen if Cloud will jump or climb a ladder? Will the other characters mimic the movement of Cloud? Will that cause errors in the animations?

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-07-19 13:59:43 »
No they'll just walk into walls probably. I cant test, since there are no ladders in Kalm  :P

EDIT: Just fixed the cutscene. They will not walk behind you until after the cutscene has been shown. About Barret walking into Cloud, he will walk into Cloud, but atm you will have to leave that level to get him to run behind you again.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-19 14:04:26 by ultima espio »

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-07-19 15:31:24 »
WOW that's cool.  I'm worried that it would bring up a lot of bugs if it were used during scripted scenes when the people in your party appear out of cloud (they can't do that if they're already supposed to).
I mean someone could go in and edit the code to accommodate this but that's a lot of work.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-07-19 16:40:56 »
As long as they dont block Cloud movement, i'm all for it :b

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-07-19 16:43:59 »
As long as they dont block Cloud movement, i'm all for it :b

Ohh, they block him alright :P I'll fix that though.

I'm currently trying to get them to climb ladders.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-07-19 17:33:55 »
Very cool.  Once you get all the kinks (blocking Cloud) worked out, I'd definitely use this.   Good work

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #14 on: 2010-07-19 19:16:55 »
Yeah I like this idea.
So you would have to eliminate where everybody just 'walks inside' of you wouldn't you?
And you would also have to make it where you won't be stuck because in the fields sometimes you can stay stuck just by trying to walk past somebody.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-07-19 19:18:18 »
I have spent HOURS working on getting them to follow you up ladders. Its not happening :|

JordieBo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-07-19 20:16:35 »
I have spent HOURS working on getting them to follow you up ladders. Its not happening :|

Would it be possible to make Cloud pause, and have everyone go back into Cloud before climbing ladders? And then come back out after? It would only delay gameplay by like 1 second.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-07-19 21:09:45 »

Try to combine the follow code with some from when Jessie climbs ladders in the first reactor, that should have all the coding needed to make an NPC climb onto a ladder and move.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-07-19 21:42:24 »
Tried. They arent NPC's either, they are the actual player characters. Its a lot quicker than adding a separate entity for the ones that follow Cloud, and it would take a lot more coding too. I think I'm on the right lines now, the problem is they keep trying to run after Cloud even while hes on the ladder, so I just need to find a way to stop them from doing that while hes on the ladder.

Miseru

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-07-20 02:53:30 »
I didn't really looked into how that script works yet, but isn't it possible to just break it, use join to move party members IN Cloud then split them again when he moves off the ladder and start this script again?:P

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-07-20 06:07:04 »
This would be kind of cool to have. What about the part in the game where Aeris follows you? Does this work right with the church or do you still have to tweak it?

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-07-20 15:07:53 »

Almost there :P

Joining the party does sound like a good solution, but then i'd have to give them all coordinates for when they split again. If I cant work this out, i'll have to try that.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010-07-20 16:11:52 »
espio, (i havnt read the whole thread), but yer still using the desert guy chasing you as the basis for the script right? Is the follow script editable? FF8 the second and third characters used the very same path as you did, but at a delay. Could you for example have them use the main characters input commands, but implement a delay?

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-07-20 19:04:28 »
I don't actually know how to get them to copy exactly what the main character did, I don't think there is a code for it. I'll have to keep looking :-\

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010-07-20 23:36:25 »
just look for what the main character does :P. once you got 3 characters in the same spot doing the same thing, then worry about lagging them :P