Author Topic: [WIP] APZ's New Canon Cloud  (Read 228715 times)

dahfa

• View Profile
Re: [WIP] APZ's New Canon Cloud
« Reply #50 on: 2010-12-08 21:12:11 »
im looking forward to your new cloud!

btw

it's pretty short  i thought it was interesting.

it's in english if you look closely(hint:click the picture to view in original size)

« Last Edit: 2010-12-08 21:18:20 by dahfa »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2010-12-08 23:09:23 »
yea - thats the one i based the face on :P

Soul

• "I'll take a potato chip AND EAT IT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2010-12-09 00:13:33 »
If thats the base, I bet it would look really cool and awesome. :) Hey timu, I saw some of the models you've been working on, can I ask if they are on the verge of completion? I mean the cait sith, tifa, aeris (or should i say, aerith) and red xiii?  :)

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2010-12-09 00:47:16 »
Yeah i have that scan too  ;D I haven't done anything yet, but you saw how quickly I put together the buster sword. Working on Doom stuff, the problem with being self motivated is it's inconsistent and depends on serendipity. I go where my immediate reaction flows, otherwise I don't do anything constructive. But I've been working on school...

gotta go, baby awake...

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2010-12-09 00:59:15 »
That cloud body + face on the right look epic  :-o

FeliX Leonhart

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2010-12-09 06:35:22 »
Cloud has an innocent child's face=)

Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2010-12-10 13:41:08 »
I wonder what will he look like when the young cloud field model (the one with the "promise with tifa" part) mixes up with the AC cloud. He'd be like wearing long black clothes and he's hair has a spiky korean look ponytail fashion.  ;D

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2010-12-15 18:26:33 »
I haven't forgotten about yall  ;D This is the final week of the term and I have finals and I've been tutoring allot of fellow students (and getting paid to do it!)

I have the face started already, I'll start up again starting this weekend and have some things to show.

Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2010-12-16 13:41:15 »
At last! A word from apz himself. Well, goodluck to your final week. Can't wait to see your new cloud.  :)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2010-12-17 02:42:23 »
Post your face! I wish to see and compare!

djkoopa

• View Profile
    • DJ Koopa Official Site
« Reply #60 on: 2010-12-18 02:03:12 »
Apz - will this Buster sword work with Millenia's weapon pack? I know this was an issue that myself and a few other people had with your last model. I love the style of your new sword (personally Millenia's irritates me due to the non-central materia slots) but I don't want to lose all of his other swords as I think they are fantastic. I get the feeling the answer will be "no", but I thought I would ask anyway. Great to see you back here by the way!

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2010-12-19 23:20:32 »
The problem would be how the texture is named. But once Aali's driver supported png's I stopped coming and never learned how that all works.

The actual answer is "Of course you can!" but it won't work with just dropping the files in. I'll get back to you once I relearn all of this

And Timu... I'll probably have something to show by tomorrow, hate to keep you guys waiting

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2010-12-22 08:47:06 »
Okay, I started over twice. That's the problem when you set up certain loops and somehow just get yourself worked into a "I'd rather start all over again!!!" kinda thing.

So this is all I got, and already I can recognize Cloud in the perspective viewport!

I've recently become more accepting of 5 and 3 sided polys in my organic modeling, as I've found out where to place them to get a clean all-quad mesh after it's been subdivided. Once you do it a couple of times it eventually becomes natural and avoids a thousand headaches when you're trying to get a perfect all quad edgeflow... Part of the reason for my starting over again... The other reason is that the base face mesh I made isn't suited for Cloud. It could have been made to work, but what I'm doing now is so much easier than trying to bend my face into Cloud's!  ;D

It's not much but I hope it gets someone excited, and I hope it influences some people to learn more about face modeling!

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival
« Reply #63 on: 2010-12-22 08:51:31 »
Looking good so far APZ!

If you happen to need any more source material, I can provide screencaps from the Blu-ray release of Advent Children: Complete.

Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2010-12-22 13:05:12 »
Well, you got me all fired up now!  ;D The face is looking really great. Keep up the good work. Make them believe that your one of the most talented model maker here. Break your own record for making the coolest cloud ever.  ;)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2010-12-22 14:54:37 »
Apz... I am dissapoint. 5gons are a thing of the devil! I'll do a paintover tonight, cuz i'm not at home, but to note suggestions. brief outline - inside of occular cavity should come forward a bit, flattening out the bridge of the nose - more asian feature., outside of the brow should come up - giving him that .\/. kind of look :P. the chin bit should be angled in, i.e. the bottom of it pulled back. The forward extremety of clouds face is his nose, with the rest being kind of like an arrow back >. Hope this makes some sense :P I'll get you my paintover later!

EDIT:

Allow me to illustrate my points :P

« Last Edit: 2010-12-22 17:19:55 by Timu Sumisu »

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2010-12-22 18:10:43 »
Wow Timu! Not that I don't appreciate your critical analyzation skills, but wait until I've actually finished the face before you critique it!  :) (Or maybe I'm just being defensive, although I guess I shot myself in the foot for posting something that's not concrete yet) Just wanna get people excited

At this point I'm designing his face's edge flow rather than getting to the pushmepullyou of making it look really recognizable yet. (Although i can't help but notice that everytime I post a progress I'll look at it and fix a few things immediately after looking at it in the thread. Like the stronger cheek bone  ;) )

Trust me though, a well placed 5gon and tri here and there will subdivide into quads just fine if you know where to place them (Plus I model a thousand times faster when I'm not trying to fix everything into quads, it's like a weight that's been lifted off my shoulders) It's an ongoing debate among the pro's in the industry. Steven Stahlberg has been modeling professionally since I was playing pokemon in middle school, and he's okay with it: http://www.androidblues.com/  That's good enough for me!

All that said... I really do appreciate your ability to analyze and always have  ;) I'll ask you when I want you to unload and let me have it!

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2010-12-23 01:25:20 »
kool stuff - thers never a bad part of production to get critique imo, and the notes on characterization come from when i was attempting to do it, so just puttin em out there for ya.

You've succeeded - I'm excited!

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2010-12-23 04:57:27 »
kool stuff - thers never a bad part of production to get critique imo, and the notes on characterization come from when i was attempting to do it, so just puttin em out there for ya.

You've succeeded - I'm excited!

My imo is that critiques are great at every junction too! Just caught me off guard :) I did take into consideration what you said though, some of it I had already thought about ;) but you know... whatever!

I've been trying to work on it as much as I can, but family, holidays and being a daddy (My squeaker is wiggling in my lap as I type!!!) I WON'T ABANDON THIS UNTIL I'M DONE!

So don't worry, APZ will see this though!

edit:

Can't stay awake any longer... I got at least a half an hour of work in! Mountain Dew has failed me tonight...

This is shown subdivided to prove that my 5gon on the zygomatic ridge and tri under the nostril subdivided into an all quad mesh. He doesn't look entirely like Cloud yet, but I'll get there  ;)
« Last Edit: 2010-12-23 09:30:13 by apz freak »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2010-12-23 14:23:45 »
very nice, i admit defeat to your polies... i just like working with quads - nicer to deform :P

Keep up the good work - and I'm highly impressed at your ability to persevere whilst fending off the youngster. I doff my cap to you sir!

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2010-12-23 16:12:50 »
Omg i love the way this is going  :o

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2010-12-26 05:57:52 »

Well I started over again (a technique I employ over and over again, and each time I do, I do it faster!) and sometimes not better... In my haste to match his face exactly, I kind of modeled fast and loose and ignored any planning. The edge loop system fell apart kind of around the eyes. (But a polygon guideline for eyebrows is something I like to do) I have a few tris that look alright after a subdivide, but I still wanna iron them out. The eyes may change (I might just tear the polys from the last work in progress and bolt them on)

The most important thing here was to get the exact shape and volume of Cloud correct. Now that I have that, I can fix the geometry to make more sense

But Hey! That's definitely Cloud!

Like always, there's still some more pushmepullyou vert pulling to get it exact, and most definitely some heavy line fixing. But over all I think it's basically nailed, just need to be fine tuned and fixed.
« Last Edit: 2010-12-26 06:04:15 by apz freak »

kela51

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/killakela51
« Reply #72 on: 2010-12-26 06:50:33 »
Wow :o!!! incredible!! nice work  ;)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2010-12-26 14:39:05 »
Very nice! I won't criticize yer polyflow as you seem to have plenty in mind. again for the face, the inside of the eyes is too far back. also I'd make the flare of the nose a little less pronounced. yours curls in quite strongly, while look at the original - it kind of just pans upwards.

Keep it up - and not too many restarts now!

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #74 on: 2010-12-26 18:41:36 »
I really do love where this is going but I wish there was one HQ character beside cloud for every five clouds made
we'd have HQs for everyone now.  :P