Author Topic: [PC] Position/resize textboxes - BoxFF7 (3.0)  (Read 38705 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
[PC] Position/resize textboxes - BoxFF7 (3.0)
« on: 2013-07-11 06:39:37 »
Download HERE.

This program will only work with the English 1.02 executable or the Steam English executable. When using The Reunion (R06 and above), you can use this tool to aid you even with non-English languages.

In order to complete my own retranslation project I've had to create BoxFF7.  This tool will tell you the X and Y positions of the dialogue boxes and allow you to move their positions in real-time; this means you can correct the box positions as you play the game. BoxFF7 will also allow you to change the dialogue itself, and it can autosize the boxes at the click of a button.

How to use

1. Open FF7.
2. Play the game (preferably at a resolution of 960*720 or 1280*960) with BoxFF7 running nearby.
3. Move the boxes to where you want them to go.
   You can use the mouse to drag and drop, or use the arrow keys, for fine tuning.
   When using the mouse, BoxFF7 will ensure that the boxes stay within the correct borders.
   When using the arrow keys, you are permitted to move the boxes to the outer edge.

It is recommended that you disable any field centring mod before using this program to ensure the correct coordinates are being reported.

Key short-cuts

F1: Centre Horizontally.
F2. Centre vertically
F5: Autosize box (you can also double click on a box)
F9: Open current map text file (inside the "FF7_Text" folder).
Ctrl-T: Place box top centre.
Ctrl-B: Place box bottom centre.
Ctrl-L: Place box left centre.
Ctrl-R: Place box right centre.

Special text markers

{MAX} Characters will be spaced equally.  To end, use another {MAX}.
{FLASH} Text will flash. To end, use another {FLASH}.
{RAINBOW} Text will have rainbow colours.  To end, use another {RAINBOW}.

Colours: {WHITE}, {GRAY}, {RED}, {BLUE}, {PURPLE}, {YELLOW}, {GREEN}, {CYAN}

{CHOICE} Use in places where there are choices.

The Reunion joypad default tags: {U}, {D}, {L}, {R}, {X}, {C}, {T}, {S}, {L1}, {R1}, {L2}, {R2}, {SEL}, {STA}
These can be changed in the UTF8 external font character file (found in the Font folder).

Editing

The box X, Y, Height, and Width values are displayed on the main form caption.

By right clicking on a box in the main window, the X and Y coordinates will be saved to the clipboard in touphscript format (#xy 126 22, for example).  If you have a "ff7_text" folder in the same place as BoxFF7, any touphscript text file inside it will be automatically edited with this information, saving you the need to copy and paste.  Please note, when this is in operation, the boxes will flash 3 colours:

Green: Change was made
Yellow: Change has already been made before, and has been added again.
Red: Change was not made (usually because text does not match).

Latest Changes (3.0)
27-June-2019
  • UTF8 support added
  • Font characters are now found in an external UTF8 file you can edit. One for the original game, and one for The Reunion.
  • Ctrl-B, Ctrl-L, Ctrl-R added
  • Reunion R06 detection has been added
  • Font spacing data (224 entries) is automatically retrieved from the game's memory (this is 0x99DDA8)
  • Default corner offsets are now 8 pixels instead of 6.
  • The default snap location of the two bottom corners are now offset within the effective screen area
  • Some internal bug fixes that may stop a crash/hang or two from occurring.
  • Custom tags (like {H1} for a heart symbol) can be made inside the external UTF8 file.
  • Alt codes will be reflected in the dialogue box immediately (for example, hold ALT and press 0151 for the Em Dash —).
  • The input text folder is now FF7_Text and not Text
  • The correct Windows installation folder is found (BoxFF7 no longer assumes c:\windows).
  • Some extra data is logged on main screen
  • Character spacing data and text code data are displayed

« Last Edit: 2019-06-27 17:23:32 by DLPB »

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
Re: FF7box [WIP]
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-11 06:43:54 »
Mind blown. Sincere amazement.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: BoxFF7 [REL]
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-12 01:07:51 »
Done.  It isn't much, but it will at least make the job easier.  It was surprisingly difficult to code considering how small the job is.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-12 02:18:45 »
Should I suggest this for those who install Bootleg without your ReTranslation project? It's a Bootleg error, but none-the-less, doing so causes the misaligned boxes for timers/counters (e.g. Shinra Mansion Safe). I believe it's being patched in the next Bootleg release, but that's has an unknown release date.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-12 11:11:10 »
Yeah I suggest you do.  That translation project release just isn't fit for purpose.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-12 22:15:22 »
I am going to have to have a really long think about this...  See the there are 554 dialogue maps in game. And the largest map has 170+ boxes.  Thats a monumental task having to position them all properly. FF8 had same issue.,  FF9 the boxes are linked to the model and follow the model about, even changing position so they dont go in the way of the model.  FF7 is just a flat basic X Y position.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-15 12:04:11 »
Nope be here til next year if I do it this way... it's still the best option so far, but I think a better one would be this interface with automatic editing of the touphscript text files.  I don't know how well I can make that work.  But I am gonna try.  If I do this right, double clicking on a box in game won't just tell you the new X Y, it will actually edit the ts files for you.  So you'd still need to go through game manually of course, but it would at least make it easier.

FF9 had a better idea... the boxes are linked to the models.  They move with the models and the bubble starts at the models mouth area. They obviously got sick of manual placements.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-07-17 01:57:37 »
FF9 had a better idea... the boxes are linked to the models.  They move with the models and the bubble starts at the models mouth area. They obviously got sick of manual placements.

The best thing I could imangine, would be a tool, which capture the text boxes and show its own one.
The tool need the ability to connect a box to the middle of the chest-head bone of a model. However determing, which box belongs to which model needs to be done manuly.
Maybe it would be a good idea to make an unshown model indication at the beginning
of a dialog like:
#AAAA#R#
Cloud
"..."
[R/L = upper right/left from the model; r/l = lower right/left from the model]

I don't know if it's possible to make such a tool, but at last it's an idea.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-07-17 19:23:09 »
I'll have an update to this program soon.  I've managed to make it auto edit the touphscript files for you (i.e. add the x y when you click on a box in realtime). So that stops any need for copy paste.  Next I am going to create a small personal tool that will traverse all ts text files and auto place the "obtained" boxes.  Like "Obtained Potion!"

to do that, all that is needed is to add up the length of each of the chars in Obtained Potion!  which gives you the correct width of the box, then do Box_X= 160-(BoxWidth/2).  Y is just 8.  This way a lot of the needless donkey work will be done for me.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-07-30 13:26:01 »
BoxFF7 1.0 is released. There are probably a few small bugs to iron out, but this is essentially finished. The app will automatically detect if Menu Overhaul or original game is being used and adjust as needed.  The application now supports autosizing of dialogue boxes, and changing of text in real-time.  The purpose of this app is on the fly editing (to see if your box looks good).  It does not edit the actual files.  If you have a "field" folder in the same place as BoxFF7 with touphscript text files inside it, it will detect them and add the new X Y positions (press right click on a box in the app).  This app supports world map box and text changing too.  At the moment, you need to have left a village onto the world map for the app to know that you are on the world map.  I will be fixing this shortly.

I will create a youtube video to make this all easier.  See first post for download link, and more information.

This app will only be useful to people who need to edit box positions.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-30 13:36:55 by DLPB »

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-07-30 13:38:28 »
Man... that is really amazingly ingenious. So someone could translate the game into say, Dutch, on the fly, while doing a playthrough and setting correct box sizes all along??

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-07-30 13:42:38 »
Yeah, pretty much, assuming the characters are supported. Of course, it still requires a lot of manual work... I mean you'd need to continually copy and paste the text once you were happy with it, but at least you'd know it looked good and is correct!  I've had to throw the kitchen sink and everything in it to get this working...  :P  I thought it was going to be my easiest program, but it ended up a nightmare!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-08-01 03:34:19 »
A few more bugs fixed, and ability to open text files added. I will be silently updating this program from now on, so check post 1.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2013-08-01 12:54:04 »
I honestly wish I would had this tool earlier. It had saved me hundreds of hours of editing and testing. This is a really great program.
To everyone, who's planing to translate or simply rework the text, BoxFF7 IS a must have.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-08-01 18:15:33 »
Yes, when I saw the recent changes to this tool I thought of the German reworked Kaldarasha has done and felt guilty. I'm sure Dan woulda saved a lot of time if he had started with this before the retranslation, but he had to go through the process to learn this tool was needed. groundbreaking work is backbreaking, and too often thankless.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: BoxFF7 1.2
« Reply #15 on: 2013-08-06 00:05:04 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcBGEY8AbnU  Tutorial... very quickly shoved together. Hope it helps. I've added a few annotations to it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: BoxFF7 1.3
« Reply #16 on: 2013-08-07 23:39:32 »
BoxFF7 1.3 is ready.  touphScript text files with {OK}flag, or tabs, were not being updated properly. Fixed.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-05 22:45:16 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: BoxFF7 1.4
« Reply #17 on: 2013-11-30 19:10:47 »
1.4 released.  Fixed a few bugs and added Menu Overhaul joypad tags for when the Reunion is released.  It was a bitch adding this too but I eventually programmed a very neat way of doing it.

If someone updates the font image to include xbox, I will also add xbox tags.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-30 19:12:59 by DLPB »

foubou

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2014-04-01 12:38:39 »
This is amazing tool man, thanks a lot ! :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2014-04-01 18:53:41 »
There is a bug or two in this, but fixed for next release.

foubou

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2014-04-07 23:36:50 »
How do I save my changes ?

I tried your program in the cutscene of Guernica when you meet the Turks.
I placed all dialog boxes where I wanted them to be placed.I also right clicked on each of them and they beacame green.

I did that with and without TS files but when I launched the game (and only the game), there was no changes.

Thanks all for help and answers.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2014-04-08 00:12:22 »
Boxff7 only edits the text files.  You need to run an encode on those files using touphscript to edit the game.

foubou

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2014-04-08 09:44:49 »
Ah yeah it works ! I was doing wrong with TouphScript I chose "d" instead of "e".

In your next release, can you please add a "toolbar" like in Loveless ? I mean, a button for yellow, a button for white,...
I'm asking but don't know really if it's easy or hard to do but considering all tools you made so far, I don't think this little add-on will be very diificult for you.  :wink:

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #23 on: 2014-04-16 13:23:28 »
Thank you for your amazing work! Is there something similar for VIII? Any plans to make one in the future?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2014-04-16 20:21:01 »
No plans for 8 at all... don't love the game enough to invest uber time.  But the principle would be almost identical.