Author Topic: Hello! I am G ;)  (Read 15247 times)

G

• , kupo.
    • View Profile
Hello! I am G ;)
« on: 2006-12-11 20:14:25 »
Hi everybody. I want to introduce myself. Earlier I was thinking about to start project to port Final Fantasy VII to Linux, but week ago I found link to Q-Gears at www.linux.org.ru. So I think I can help.
Some info about me: I am Gennadiy Brich. I am 21, live in Lviv, Ukraine (привет Akari! Слышал, что Ñ‚Ñ‹ из России  8-) (сказал halkun). С моим английским хоть кому-то здесь в трудную минуту смогу выплакаться ;) ). Now I am last year student in Lviv's National University of Ivan Franko, faculty of Applied Mathematics & Informatics. I know C/C++ (4 year experience). Now I am working in local company as C/C++ programmer (actually I am programming microcontrollers [embedded systems] ;) - I know - it's faaaar away from PC-programming, but at least I have good money & some free time!). Also I have good knowledge in Linux (using for 5 years), OpenSource and so on. During my studying I used many programming languages, such as Basic, Pascal, Assembler, Java, Smalltalk, Perl, Python, even SQL, PHP... but for me it's not comparable to C/C++. If course I am also a *BIG* fan of Final Fantasy series  :-D.
Today Halkun added me as developer to project (username: super_gb). I already readed gears.pdf, and now I am studying q-gears source. Here at forum I'll be G. Now I have last winter session at university, so I have to pass my last exams, and after new year all my free time will be devoted to this project.
I think that's for now that's all about me.

P.S. My English isn't very good, but I think it's better then nothing (of course we can use C++ for conversations  :mrgreen: ).

Akari

• View Profile
Re: Hello! I am G ;)
« Reply #1 on: 2006-12-11 20:24:20 »
Велкам =)

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-12-12 01:35:27 »
One advantage conversing here might be that your English will improve.  Most people have decent written English here, well there is halkun who should be considered unique. :D

Akari: Was that hello or welcome in Russian perhaps?

Cyb

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 2006-12-12 03:36:52 »
If I were to hazzard a guess, I would say "Welcome"

G

• , kupo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-12-12 08:00:53 »

Akari: Was that hello or welcome in Russian perhaps?

It was hello to Akari, as I know he is Russian

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 2006-12-12 10:47:55 »
No one did anything wrong, I want to say this first...

I'd thought I'd write this, just so that there is a record of me saying this somewhere.

This board is full of people from all over the world. I can speak and write Japanese, Akari can speak Russian, Qhimm can speak some funny language that uses the letter "o" with a line through it... As this place is multinational, it's nice to keep the posts in English so everyone can understand.  (I know, I used to break this rule sometimes [えぇ?日本語じゃない?]). If you are having problems with English, try your best. We would really appricate it.
« Last Edit: 2006-12-12 10:50:34 by halkun »

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-12-12 12:20:38 »
Halkun, I am very very crude in my knowledge of Japanese, but I get the 'ee? Nihongo something neh?'
Care to translate?

einherjar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-12-12 12:22:43 »
Welcome G! :wink:

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-12-12 16:34:58 »
einherjar Oh yes well put! Welcome to here, I'm not really sure where here is to be honest but welcome anyways.

Cyb

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 2006-12-12 17:37:12 »
Halkun, I am very very crude in my knowledge of Japanese, but I get the 'ee? Nihongo something neh?'
Care to translate?

"Eh? Nihongo janai?"

"Huh? That's Japanese, isn't it?"

It's really slangy, as opposed to "Nihongo, ne?" (Japanese, right?) which as asking for an affermitive, my way is begging a negitive. (Janai is a contraction. ja="de wa" and nai="arimasen") The proper sentince would be...

"Kore wa nihongo de wa arimasen ka?" Which means exactly the same thing.

I don't like formal Japanese and munge it at any opputunity I get.
« Last Edit: 2006-12-12 17:39:18 by halkun »

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006-12-12 18:50:24 »
"Eh? Nihongo janai?"

"Huh? That's Japanese, isn't it?"

It's really slangy, as opposed to "Nihongo, ne?" (Japanese, right?) which as asking for an affermitive, my way is begging a negitive. (Janai is a contraction. ja="de wa" and nai="arimasen") The proper sentince would be...

"Kore wa nihongo de wa arimasen ka?" Which means exactly the same thing.

I don't like formal Japanese and munge it at any opputunity I get.

Isn't it "Not japanese." (definition) As I know "ne" means "isn't it".
それは日本語ですね。 -This is japanese, isn't it.
Or more casual それは日本語だね。

ps 始めまして。 私、あかりと申します。 =)

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-12-13 07:43:04 »
Goes to show there are alot more mult lingual people here then originally imagined...

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 2006-12-13 08:40:55 »
Isn't it "Not japanese." (definition) As I know "ne" means "isn't it".
それは日本語ですね。 -This is japanese, isn't it.
Or more casual それは日本語だね。

ps 始めまして。 私、あかりと申します。 =)

Like I said, it's really slangy, and not really "proper". I never really heard it outside Tokyo..

Girl 1: 「彼の車を見た?スゴいじゃ〜ん!」
Girl 2: 「え!かっこいでしょ? かっこいぃ!」

"You seen his car? It's cool, isn't it!"
"Eh? It is? Awesome!"

Jan (じゃん)is short for "Janai". Like I said above, "Janai" is a contraction for "...de wa arimasen". It doesn't automatically negate the subject of the sentence, but modifies it context twards the negitive. ("de wa" actually does the modifying of the subject, "arimasen" [or "nai"] is then a supporting modifier) I'm also dropping the "ka" at the end of the sentince which turns the phrase into a question, but I'm relaying that through context as well.

「私は馬鹿じゃない!」= "Watashi wa baka Jana!i" (I'm not an idiot)
「彼を見た?馬鹿じゃない?」= "Kare wo mita? Baka janai?" (You see that guy, isn't he an idiot?)

Once again, I'm dropping the ending "ka" as the question mark (and the inflection of speech) would define the proper context.

As opposed to the "wa" in "watashi wa" within the first phrase which defines a direct subject ("As for me...") The second phrase uses "de wa" ("ja") to define an indirect subject. ("About that guy we saw...") It's different.

Particles are a pain in the butt, especally when you use contractions and don't actually say every word :P

Does that make sense?

Of course, I'm now totally breaking the rule I just made above...
« Last Edit: 2006-12-13 08:51:42 by halkun »

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006-12-13 14:10:09 »
No you dont make sense, but then I am not "trying" to study Nihongo, I just pickup stuff from Anime and Dramas.
So I am not overly concerned as Akari on the syntax of your words.

gigaherz

• View Profile
    • gigaherz's shitty stuff
« Reply #14 on: 2006-12-13 15:33:24 »
That reminds me why I gave up trying to learn jap... too many things for my tiny patience.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 2006-12-13 17:04:13 »
I just finished my final final for college. I only have my Thesis left.

After that, I'm thinking about taking my masters in Japanese. I'm sort of a geek when it comes to that language.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006-12-17 21:04:02 »
How many years before you had a basic understanding? (Ie; able to interpret basic conversations and written words)

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006-12-18 14:30:08 »
I learn Japanese (in a crappy way) by watching RAW anime :P

(Btw, without other languages installed your foreign languages appear like question marks, which is kinda all I understand of it anyway :P)

gigaherz

• View Profile
    • gigaherz's shitty stuff
« Reply #18 on: 2006-12-18 19:36:51 »
I learn Japanese (in a crappy way) by watching RAW anime :P

Depending on the anime you watch, that could be bad... you could end up speaking like a young girl or something like that.  :P

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 2006-12-19 00:19:57 »
How many years before you had a basic understanding? (Ie; able to interpret basic conversations and written words)

As soon as I get it, I'll let you know....  :wink:

I've been speaking it for 7 years

RW_66

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006-12-19 06:42:45 »
Halkun, how well do you understand the underlying context and social inflections? I only ask because it's been my understanding that Japanese, like mandarin and korean, is highly social and context sensitive. For instance, certain words and phrases can be high praise in one case and a stinging insult in a different case.

Supossedly, this is one of the reasons that makes eastern languages so hard to properly translate and learn. Western societies and languages tend to be much more 'literal', in the sense that words tend to have a much narrower range of possible meanings and are less contextually sensetive. Eastern languages, however, tend to be much more 'subtle', with more meaning and context implied than actually expressed.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 2006-12-19 09:54:39 »
Halkun, how well do you understand the underlying context and social inflections?

I suck at it. It's not so much you "transalte: but "interpriet" was is said.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006-12-27 00:45:00 »
oh how i wish my russian was better, but what can you expect, i'm only a second year student

мой русскии плохо

G

• , kupo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006-12-27 17:49:28 »
:) I am happy that someone tries to learn not only English language!

G

• , kupo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006-12-29 15:47:20 »
So today I passed my last exam at university!! I am free now..