Author Topic: computer question  (Read 3944 times)

Edea

• View Profile
computer question
« on: 2001-08-10 16:31:00 »
i hope im putting this in the right place. let me explain my situation. i have a compaq that uses QuickRestore and has a drive called SystemSave for backup. I wanted to format my hard drive to check out some problems i was having. so i backed up my complete hard drive. i had to transfer some space to systemsave in order to fit my backup there. now i want my space back and i dont know how to transfer it back to my hard drive.does anyone know?

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
computer question
« Reply #1 on: 2001-08-11 16:32:00 »
Not me....

When I do such things, I consider everything in the format as permanetly lost. And I save things that I need on a CDR.

Anyway...do you have two harddrives?
I'm pretty sure that when you format a drive, it formats over partitions, too. I don't have much experience in partitions. I just format the whole disk as one huge FAT32 drive.

J*** H*******

computer question
« Reply #2 on: 2001-08-11 05:04:00 »
Message.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
computer question
« Reply #3 on: 2001-08-11 05:39:00 »
   :D
Well, a few years back when I used the Format option, that was in the bios of my Packard Bell, it did.

LOL.

Must be a Packard Bell thing.

OH...and she may have ME....could it be an ME thing? I wouldn't know I don't have ME...never even see one, nor Win2k for that matter.

(Just Dos5.0, Win3.1, Win95, non administrator mode WinNT, and Win98Se is all I've ever used/seen, thus far.)

But I've read that there is a resource hogg part of ME that restores your harddrive if you mess it up, or something.

[This message has been edited by Threesixty (edited August 11, 2001).]

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
computer question
« Reply #4 on: 2001-08-11 08:21:00 »
I'm not sure I follow you . . . when you say you had to transfer space to systemsave . . . are you saying that you moved files over there?  deleted files from there?

When you formated your harddrive, did you just type "format c:"?  If so, you're 'system_save' partition is still there and intact, as you only formated the main partition.

Edea

• View Profile
computer question
« Reply #5 on: 2001-08-11 08:59:00 »
Actually I have Win98second edition. And I don't think it has two hard drives they are just handled as if they were seperate drives.What SystemSave and QuickRestore is: QR is a way to format, but what it does is put your computer back to the way it was when it came from the factory (software, drivers, etc.) Much easier than doing it yourself. SS is a place to keep backup before running QR. QR does not touch the SS drive. I don't have a Win98 disk, it is all on my QR disk. I was able to take 1.5Gb from Drive C and put it in Drive D(SystemSave). That should give you a better idea. But anyways I think I came up with a solution for now- I will just move some of my files to Drive D to store them! :)

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
computer question
« Reply #6 on: 2001-08-14 10:51:00 »
Ok i got this one.. He he he.. here goes..

your Compaq only has one hard drive.. probably.. what compaq does is partition it (stated above) i guess they thought this would be a good idea or something.. i would hate that.. anyway.. for your soloution i would recommend Partition Magic 6.0 its supposed to be an easy to use way to fix your deal.. as in you can do it through windows and its user friendly  :) Look to spend around $50-$60.. but it says it can create partitions move stuff without botching anything..  :) atleast.. thats what it says  :)