Author Topic: [Request] High res patch anti-virus false-positive solutions?  (Read 9535 times)

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
I decided to make a separate thread for this instead of stuffing the high-res patch thread with more nonsense, but...

Anyway, as I'm sure everyone is aware, AVG anti-virus, and now other anti-virus programs, have been identifying the HRP (both the .rar file and the patcher itself) as being infected with a generic trojan.  Presumably, this is because it's a program to change a program.  People are wondering if their systems are in danger, and i get e-mails and see messages on boards almost every day from people worrying that their systems just got h4xx0red.  I can think of 2 solutions:

1: fix the program so it appears as a legitimate patching tool that is is instead of a malicious over-writing utility... I have dozens of game patches stored on my system, and not once has any of them been confused for a virus.

2: Simply distribute the patched versions of ff7 and ff7config, ala the 1.02 patch.  Would this work, or does the patcher patch other files, too?

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
What, no feedback?

*bump*

At the very least, could someone tell me which game files are patched so that i can pack those up and distribute them?  I'm getting tired of these e-mails...

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
It's the ff7.exe file.

The SaiNt

• View Profile
I was working on writing a patcher. but I've obviously not had no time to finish it yet.
Just been too busy of late.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Dziugo: Not for me.. my antivirus keeps screaming bout the rar and patcher.  But not the patched version of ff7...

*shrugs*

edit: oh, wait.. i thought you meant ff7.exe was the file being identified by the anti-virus for you, not that it's the only file that gets patched.  *headdesk*
« Last Edit: 2007-10-22 05:01:27 by EmperorSteele »

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
At the very least, could someone tell me which game files are patched so that i can pack those up and distribute them?  I'm getting tired of these e-mails...
It's the ff7.exe file.

paladin181

• View Profile
I decided to make a separate thread for this instead of stuffing the high-res patch thread with more nonsense, but...

Anyway, as I'm sure everyone is aware, AVG anti-virus, and now other anti-virus programs, have been identifying the HRP (both the .rar file and the patcher itself) as being infected with a generic trojan.  Presumably, this is because it's a program to change a program.  People are wondering if their systems are in danger, and i get e-mails and see messages on boards almost every day from people worrying that their systems just got h4xx0red.  I can think of 2 solutions:

1: fix the program so it appears as a legitimate patching tool that is is instead of a malicious over-writing utility... I have dozens of game patches stored on my system, and not once has any of them been confused for a virus.

2: Simply distribute the patched versions of ff7 and ff7config, ala the 1.02 patch.  Would this work, or does the patcher patch other files, too?
Besides, there's legal issues with distributing copyrighted game content (the exe or config file) as a part of a fan addition. I learned this from modding for TES and how Betrhsoft likes to handle stuff of the sort. Not sure about if Eidos or Squaresoft would care.