Author Topic: Help with PC Upgrade  (Read 4885 times)

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
Help with PC Upgrade
« on: 2008-09-22 23:27:21 »
I was wondering if you could all help me decide what new PC hardware to invest in.

First of all, I'm not a mega PC gamer so I don't really need anything that makes my comp uber-fantastico, I just want it to run a bit smoother and to upgrade my RAM and Video card. To be honest, its fast enough as it is, I just want to be able to run the Sims 2 with all its expansion packs without the awful lags, and with the Sims 3 coming up I thought I could do with the upgrade really.

First of all, heres my system specs:-

==System==

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1 Build 2600)
Processor: Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPU's)
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 238MB Used, 1776MB Available
DirectX Version: Directx9.0c
BIOS: PHOENIX Award BIOS v6.00PG

==Display==

Name: ATI Radeon 9600 Series
Chip Type: AGP
Approx. Total Memory: 128MB

As you can see, its not very amazing but it does what I want it to, and the CPU's are half decent.

I just need advice on a new video card and the best deals on RAM, I think the biggest my motherboard can take is 3GB according to an online test I did a while back. The video card doesn't have to be too fantastic either, just fast, smooth, and more modern that'll be able to handle the sims 2 games well and I'll still be able to play FF7 & 8 without too many problems.

Thanks in advance and if anyone has sites to direct me to I'm in the UK.

EDIT: I should probably also mention that I don't use a PC monitor, I use my TV through the VGA port in the back, so being able to just plug it in and see it using the male to male adaptor I have is essential.

« Last Edit: 2008-09-24 21:47:19 by Prince Lex »

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
Re: Help with PC Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 2008-09-24 01:07:08 »
Just last week I upgraded my aging PC that had similar specs to yours (same video card - that 9600 pro really was a great piece of technology).  Your CPU is newer than mine was though as I was still running an Athlon XP 2600+.  I'm also guessing that 210 Megs of ram is a typo and it's actually 2048 or somesuch.

I spent around 350 dollars after mail in rebates for :

2 gigs of OCZ DDR2 Ram (800 MHZ)
Palit Radeon 4850 (512M GDDR3)
Pentium Dual Core E5200 (45 nm)
Gigabtye EP45 D3SL mobo

This should last me another 4-5 years given what I do.  And my usage scenario is similar to yours.  Other than psx games (or nes and snes) or ff7, I hadn't played a PC game since the original KOTOR so I'm not a huge PC gamer (although the witcher looks interesting to try out - which I now can with my new system! :D ).

My main drive for change was actually that the fan for my GPU had failed ... a few years ago and that it was emmitting A LOTof heat - litterally warming up my whole place by a big margin when running - and locking up frequently while any kind of stress was put upon it.

New system runs fairly cool since it is a 45nm CPU and 55nm GPU.

Bottom line is, upgrade paths for hardware as old as what I had (and what you have to a lesser extent) is very limited so for a minimally bigger amount of money than upgrading, I've got brand new key components (reused same case, DVD-RW and HDD and like you my HDTV is my screen).  For the amount of money I put in, I think that's a pretty good system which should do well with everything I throw at it for the next couple years.

PS : I of course assume your motherboard is not compatible with the newer core 2 since you have an AGP motherboard.  Even though its the same socket, the electrical layout is supposedly different.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #2 on: 2008-09-24 13:49:37 »
How much money are you willing to spend on it? Just like Marc, I'd go with completely new system, but if it's not the option, replacing the graphics card would be your best bet. Better CPU won't really be needed, and if the amount of memory is 2GB, then you'll be fine.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-09-24 21:54:59 »
Sorry thats 512MB RAM I have, which is why I'm desperately needing upgraded.

I'd probably be looking to spend at max 150 pounds/  $ 300, would rather not go for a new system altogether, it does what I need it for, just a little bit faster for the programs that really need it (sims 2!)  ^_^

Its really just tips on a decent graphics card I need that'll work with the Sims 2 and my HDTV - The ATI Radeon 9600 did me for so long I'm surprised it hasn't exploded... I've had it since 2003 and its moved from 3 different comps!

That and a point towards the best deals on RAM, I either want 2 or 3 gigs, probably 2 just to be sure itll work with my motherboard, I'm going to get a new system next year I think!

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-09-24 22:20:33 »
My dollars are in canadian currency.  Since the pound is so much stronger, I'd wager you could get by with about a 200$ spend (in constant dollars - I have no idea about UK components prices).

As for your system, RAM would be the cheapest easiest way to boost your system as 512 is definately not enough these days.  2 gigs would be overkill for your system though.  Plus there's also the fact that DDR3 is around the corner and that its most likely going to be the RAM type of choice in a year so if you plan to upgrade next year, any ram you buy now would most likely be useless then.

As for video card, you'll be hard pressed to find a decent performing new AGP part nowadays for a reasonable amount of money.  I'd look on e-bay for an older AGP part.  Your 9600 pro should work fine with the Sim 2 though so if you want to fully upgrade next year, I'd hold off until then.

Just 1 exra gig of ram will cost you under 50$ and boost your performance so that's what I'd do.

That or a completely new system.  I don't usually find upgrading is worth it, especially with the record low prices for midrange setups we have now.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #5 on: 2008-09-24 22:41:09 »
As for the graphics card, 2600XT would be ok, or HD3850 if you can spend some more money. I'd go with the completely new system though.

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-10-07 08:09:36 »
A television? What resolution?
I would remove the paging file alltogether, purchase 2GB for about 100USD, and on a graphics card, HD 4850?