Author Topic: Akari Ogre and Q-Gears  (Read 10964 times)

Cyberman

• View Profile
Akari Ogre and Q-Gears
« on: 2007-09-30 18:14:34 »
Greetings Akari likely thou art busy (doing school work hopefully).
In any case you mentioned OGRE usage for your last release you will work on of Q-gears?
I've been examining OGRE.  I take it you wish to use OGRE for handling the lighting etc?
I was at one time looking to migrate battle models into GLScene well actually the entire battle scene with the battle models as heirarchical objects within.
In the case of FF7 battle models I created meshes for each sub object etc.  I didn't get around to the animation information.

So what was your plan of action here?

Cyb

Akari

• View Profile
Re: Akari Ogre and Q-Gears
« Reply #1 on: 2007-10-02 19:06:57 »
I use Ogre as main renderer. All models, backgrounds and other things converted into ogre native format. I'm not work on character models yet (although Zidan want me to). I only convert few battle scene (from the reactor mission only). I can post link to them here if Halkun not afraid of square-man =)

Mainly I work on reversing part of engine that are not understanded clearly yet. I almost finished reversing of scripting management system. All opcodes like REQ REQSW RETTO and others are already compleatly known. (Although I don't think any one still has interest in them =)

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-10-02 21:57:25 »
First I am always interested in the script system (but not necessarily for the same reasons as someone else). I like to see how people did things :D

Alright you import to 'native' format. Backgrounds are relatively straight forward. Models though aren't as simple.
Have you reworked the object you used to import the original models into or is that unchanged as yet?

If that code is relatively unchanged I possibly can make code for migration to OGRE for the models. As far as animation i'll have to finishing with Eclipse and OGRE setup for compiling stuff under windows. It looks like it's not a HUGE deal but has a few steps (ok numerous).  Hopefully in a bit I will have Eclipse setup and compiling the Demo's for OGRE then I can work on migrating to Eclipse the current Q-gears release. I still have a few weeks worth of OGRE familiarity to work on.

As for posting links to models that's probably not a good idea.  LOL

Cyb

BesideTheVoid

• formerly known as ProtoArmor
    • View Profile
    • Official BesideTheVoid Productions Website
« Reply #3 on: 2007-10-04 11:09:44 »
If conversion from :edit: to OGRE can be done programmatically, why not at runtime?
Duplication of all the archived models during the install is not the eventual result of this, right?
« Last Edit: 2007-10-22 08:18:26 by OrangejuiceElectronica »

G

• , kupo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-10-04 17:15:46 »
If conversion from OGRE can be done programmatically, why not at runtime?
You mean "to OGRE", right? ;)

Actually I talked with Akari about this (I think it would be better to read native files), he says, that it's complicated to implement this as OGRE readers, however it would be great, if someone will do this for us (but I doubt, that it would be done by any other person, that me, Akari, or Zidane_2).

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007-10-04 22:28:41 »
Actually I talked with Akari about this (I think it would be better to read native files), he says, that it's complicated to implement this as OGRE readers, however it would be great, if someone will do this for us (but I doubt, that it would be done by any other person, that me, Akari, or Zidane_2).
Well as far as I know at runtime is the only time it's importing models (LOL), I'm not sure what you would gain by converting the models then running the game. I think it would be best to avoid that scenario especially considering the questionable legality of distributing other peoples content.
I remember attempting to do something similar for GLScene to build a native format importer.  It was a bit much and GLScene isn't used as much as OGRE (especially if you take into account that GLScene is for Delphi and few people could tell me how to make an importer in c++).  So this is quite understandable, if I get up to speed in OGRE I might do this for battle models (since I understand those fairly well), I can't really say anything about OGRE and animation etc, because I haven't reached that point in gaining OGRE knowledge.

I think by migrating Q-gears to Eclipse and MingW, I can write up a howto for that.  Eclipse I don't think handles the automake and autoconfig things well. I'll have to look into those as well.

Cyb

G

• , kupo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-10-05 07:17:12 »
I think by migrating Q-gears to Eclipse and MingW
MinGW was always used to produce windows version of Q-Gears, nothing to port  :-D.
And about Eclipse: is there any Q-Gears developer, that really needs that? For example Akari and Zidane_2 uses Codeblocks and Dev-Cpp IDE's with MinGW compiler, I use VI editor with autotools under linux.
I think, that more important things is to finish reverse engeneering yet unknown parts of FF7 engine.
Akari, Zidane_2 and me are working hard to do that, but no one else is interested in programming and reverse engeneering aspects of FF7, isn't it?

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-10-05 21:33:45 »
I think by migrating Q-gears to Eclipse and MingW
MinGW was always used to produce windows version of Q-Gears, nothing to port  :-D.
And about Eclipse: is there any Q-Gears developer, that really needs that? For example Akari and Zidane_2 uses Codeblocks and Dev-Cpp IDE's with MinGW compiler, I use VI editor with autotools under linux.
I think, that more important things is to finish reverse engeneering yet unknown parts of FF7 engine.
Akari, Zidane_2 and me are working hard to do that, but no one else is interested in programming and reverse engeneering aspects of FF7, isn't it?
It's not that I'm not interested in reverse engineering, I just have a lot of things to do these days.  I'm sort of in the situation where I work full time and spend a lot of time doing research. Most of my research is part of my hobby, but it's much different than beating on FF7 for example. It's more like ARM9/ARM7 processor analysis and choices in the next generation of systems to use.  This includes streaming video parsing (IE containers and the streams in those containers) I've a lot of hobbies so they only get a bit of time every week.  In addition I work roughly 50 hours a week so add that to commute issues and real life, there isn't much room at all.

Back to Eclipse, I think it's something that should be investigated in regards to the project.  There is more than just one way to do things.  Erstwhile I can use Dev C++ just as easily as I could use Eclipse or VI and a CLI etc.  I use what works generally, and have done all of the later things before. I am trying to get Eclipse working with OGRE as I have some interest in OGRE for a separate project to begin with. If I can use similar tool chains without much duress why not? Hence the desire to see if I can use Eclipse with Q-gears is not something like "wow I can collect some tin cans beat them together and paint them to make a car" type thinking.  I just happen to have been working with getting OGRE to work nicely with Eclipse when I realized that Akari was using it with Q-gears, and for the last 4 months I have been moving Q-gears code in and out of Eclipse.  Again it's not that I'm saying "let's use Eclipse for everything" I just happen to think it might be useful.  Likely later on if Q-gears needs the extra features of Eclipse.  Why not have a plan before you need to do anything?

By the way has the SVN for Q-gears been updated steadily? I've not looked in a millenia or two.
Is there main release and the bleeding edge source trees? Just wondering :D

Cyb

G

• , kupo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007-10-06 18:13:26 »
By the way has the SVN for Q-gears been updated steadily? I've not looked in a millenia or two.
Is there main release and the bleeding edge source trees? Just wondering Cheesy
No, it doesn't. There is some miscellaneous code added, but for now nothing valuable, we are reversing...  :evil:

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007-10-06 19:30:12 »
No, it doesn't. There is some miscellaneous code added, but for now nothing valuable, we are reversing...  :evil:
Code no code all good yeah? :)
I was just curious since I've not been staring at the code for a while.  I have The last release some where. I am organizing my 'junk' also know as my computer.  I have 500 gigs of 'stuff' and quite frankly I forget all that I have in it.

Cyb