Off-topic forums > Completely Unrelated

Article 13 Passed

(1/5) > >>

EQ2Alyza:
Yikes...

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47708144

Rumbah:
Well, the EU parliament passed it so it's a normal elected parliament. I don't know where that is a dictatorship.
If you don't like what your representatives vote for then let them know by not voting for them again (elections are in the end of may).

And don't get me wrong, I don't like article 13 and 11 at all and all the lobby work that got thrown at it. And if it ends in upload filters for everything I guess the European Court of Justice will have a look at it.
But that's democracy, too. In the end you might get some kind of compromise and something you don't like at all (but most people are ok with).

And if you have a better idea than free, open vote and secret ballot paired with seperation of power... :)

Tirlititi:

--- Quote from: Rumbah on 2019-03-27 19:26:02 ---And if you have a better idea than free, open vote and secret ballot paired with seperation of power... :)

--- End quote ---
Let's say... free, open vote and secret ballot on law proposals (instead of being forced to give this power to chosen representatives).
What about it? :)

Rumbah:

--- Quote from: Tirlititi on 2019-03-27 21:47:31 ---What about it? :)

--- End quote ---
For very selected things I guess.
Else you would have to inform yourself on every single issue and that can be very complex if you, for example, haven't studied law.
Or you have to hear on what the representatives have to say explaining it to you but then they might just lie to you (Brexit, Trump, ...). Or there might be unpopular choices that could be for the greater good (raising taxes for social stuff).

So in an ideal world I'd be totally in but in reality there are some caveats I guess.

Tirlititi:
You cannot reproach DLPB for not accepting the rules of the democracy and then reply to me that too much democracy would be bad because of how poorly educated the people are. That's a logical flaw ;)

Btw, why would you want to use the expression "for the greater good" that could make you pass for a Harry Potter villain?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version