Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Replacement FMVs, footage from AC/CC (2017-2-18)  (Read 234708 times)

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
Remastered Replacement FMVs for FFVII

After almost 8 years I have finally gotten around to fully updating my videos using the highest quality AC(480p), ACC(1080p) and CC(1080p) sources available. I've remade every video from the ground up at the proper aspect ratio of 1280X896 and encoded everything with a high bitrate setting(generally 8000 kbps and higher) to eliminate any artifacting caused by encoding. When any original game footage was needed I used the Remastered FMV's by cmh175. Here is a breakdown of what videos are included and any notable changes.

opening - A higher quality version of the PS3 tech demo was used and the audio was corrected to remove some small clicks near the end.
canon - ACC
canonh3f - ACC
earithdd - higher quality version of hybridmoon's video was used and new ACC footage used when able.
funeral - same as above
ending3 - ACC footage
jenova_e - AC, ACC, CC footage.
meteofix - AC
nivlsfs - ACC
ontrain - 1080p remake trailer footage.

A few notes. The ontrain video has 2 versions included. One that is short like the original and a longer version inspired the one at the end of Tsunamix's Ehco-S demo. Also I had to use the AC 480p footage for both meteofix and jenova's reveal because those scenes had been cut and or extremely shortened in the ACC version making them unusable. I've also included the much higher quality Eidos logo opening from Team Avalanche because it doesn't seem to be very commonly known of at the moment and a sqlogo replacement that is a cool clip video of the compilation.

Download link
https://mega.nz/#!KFRgWTxI!sIx-VW8lpnSpAdMAqWRpZ9YnVb_h8xoN-GLrVxIoHLI

Enhanced Replacement FMVs from Toshiba DVD

So anyone that doesn't know once upon a time a few of the FFVII FMVs where rendered at a higher quality and released on a DVD to be encluded with a Toshiba computer. Full story over at TLS https://thelifestream.net/review-the-toshiba-ffvii-dvd/ So after waiting for a number of years for someone else to make a set using this footage I decided to do it myself since I was redoing my previous videos. A few videos have been made by DLPB using this footage. Most notably the opening, so I won't be including any of those videos. I will show a few comparison shots of the same frames from the Remastered FMV's by cmh175 and the Toshiba DVD versions by me. I will go ahead and say that after color correcting the videos, cropping, enlarging and filtering the videos you get about 5-10% more visual information. There is an improvement in sharpness of lines and small details but at the loss of some smoothness. However for a modder like me that is a fair trade. I want the most out of all aspects of my game even if there are a few concessions. I also used the  Remastered FMV's by cmh175 to fill in any gapes not included in the Toshiba DVD footage. I ended up making 19 replacements out of the available footage. Here are the comparison shots.

Remastered FMV's by cmh175

Toshiba DVD footage

Remastered FMV's by cmh175

Toshiba DVD footage

Download Link
https://mega.nz/#!2ZQShChR!H0FQIpBqJTjPTDU1wzbkGiBGeOaVUw94c4Ur0d6TDdA

No Chibi Replacement FMVs Corrected

In addition to Remastering my original videos and working on the Toshiba DVD videos I tackled correcting the No Chibi FMVs by DrLilo. The original videos had varying sizes and fps which caused some issues(like a softlock for me at parashot). Another issue is that they were made back when the psx resized videos by dlpb were the best available, but now the 2012 resizes have surpassed those. So, I started with a base of the Remastered FMV's by cmh175 and remade each video to a proper size, fps and runtime. These videos also use any Toshiba DVD footage that was available. These videos will play 100% properly without any flevel patches unlike the original versions.

Download Link
https://mega.nz/#!uMhFVBQa!7TD9jl7tWvKSuhPw6tulnSb3FgB_4mwQdWAuGUv7KEs

Original Post

I decided to edit together some new videos using some of the available footage from AC and CC. So far I've finished Midgar canon firing, Rufus shot by Diamond, Nanaki's ending, Aerith's funeral, Meteor from space, Sephiroth Discovers Jenova(CC with voice), and another new opening(CC & tech demo with voice). These all work 100% on my machine and should be usable right away for anyone that plays fmvs from hdd.

Original Quality Vids (320x224): not available. You can resize the higher quality ones if you need them for some reason

A great many thanks go out to Otokoshi for the most excellent Opening logo(without tech demo script). seriously your opening is awesome and I think it far better than mine. also the reason I didn't include the sephiroth in flames, Otokoshi's is definitive. If you don't already have them go here.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=5932.0

Higher Quality Videos
for use with Aali's custom graphics driver 0.5 and up. Most are 960x720

Opening
http://www.mediafire.com/?oyb8aahicp1x6ix

Midgar canon firing, Nanaki's ending
http://www.mediafire.com/?y3b3omzfa6yoyf0

Rufus shot by Diamond, , Meteor from space, Sephiroth Discovers Jenova(CC with voice), and Sephiroth in flames.(if you downloaded the hq videos before May 24, 2009 you need these)
http://www.mediafire.com/?xa6a1u4ncf44lb0

Aerith's death and burial reedited from Hybridmoon's original.
http://www.mediafire.com/?6myx68m8x1sochd

Opening Credits reedited from Clover27's original.
http://www.mediafire.com/?i7ggsrfae453f3c

New Ending2 from Darkangel 8694 : This version has audio corrected so it doesn't sound so blownout. If you have another version you'll want this one.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ho7i824c86c7t8g

New Prelude: Replaces old prelude credits with scolling pics on a cool background.
http://www.mediafire.com/?b7xbzi1hx6hok8u

Diamond Weapon Model:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9184.msg123240#msg123240

New Cloud Jumps on Train video:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2ix1nekjlxbt3n1/ontrain.AVI

« Last Edit: 2018-02-12 22:26:16 by Grimmy »

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Replacement FMVs for FFVII
« Reply #1 on: 2009-05-03 20:24:44 »
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8414.0

uhh for some FMV's, you have to have the frame count EXACTLY right. because the game has to know when to insert the models, because they're integrated together. if you've already done that, then you're epic, and i'd wanna use this mod, if you release it :P
« Last Edit: 2010-06-09 16:35:34 by obesebear »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-05-03 20:32:31 »
If you have the frames right then i love you and want your mod if you release it  :-D

Grimmy

• View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #3 on: 2009-05-03 20:59:50 »
I edited the vids in flash mx which gives you great control over frame rates. Like I said these all work in game for me. I'll go ahead and get a link up soon.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-05-04 01:53:34 »
Wow, thats great!

Thanks very much for this ^_^

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-05-04 03:32:05 »
If you are using any part of my videos, could you give me credit for it please?  Also others have asked me prior for permission to use my videos in their mods.  I've had no problem with it, I just ask for credit for my work.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-05-04 04:21:34 »
I really do hope these work.  I remember using Otokoshi's about a year ago and the Sephiroth scene worked flawlessly... I just never could get his opening scene to work.

Thanks!

« Reply #7 on: 2009-05-04 04:22:31 »
how do you implement these into the game.. there is no read me

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-05-04 04:41:06 »
how do you implement these into the game.. there is no read me

I've yet to use it as i just downloaded them, But what you do is do the following:

start > Run type "regedit" without quotes then go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Square Soft, Inc. > Final Fantasy VII and in there you have a string marked "MoviePath" right click and select "modify" then change the value data to where ever you put your movies (have to take all of them from the disc first, then put in the ones from here)

Hope this helped you out

EDIT: not sure if it matters but that is with 32bit WinXP
« Last Edit: 2009-05-04 08:45:29 by hellbringer616 »

AlbusJC

• If you really love something let it go
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-05-04 07:13:45 »
thats great!! I was trying to do this last week but didn't get nothing...  :-D

Aurenasek116

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-05-04 13:36:14 »
Would it be possible for you to upload them in a bit higher resolution? They one you provided makes it look even worse than deafult ones on 1280x800 resolution (Due to much higher ammount of grain than in upscaled originals)

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-05-04 15:35:25 »
That's not possible, since FF7 can only use the smaller resolution videos. Anything higher either shows nothing or only shows you a portion of the video. No way around that other than code modification. They also must be in 16-bit color instead of 32. Because the original clips these movies here came from are so detailed, when they are converted for use in game they actually look worse than the ones that came with FF7 as they were designed specifically to deal with the limitation.

Also, frame count on videos isn't set in stone. There's a simple opcode you can edit in Meteor to allow the movies to play for as many frames as you need it to. Thus, you can accomplish smoother animation or allow changes in the length of the movie altogether.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-05-04 15:38:15 »
Not if you use a certain OpenGL driver..  :-)

The current version only has the TM2.0 codec though, but I can add any codec supported by ffmpeg on request.

NameSpoofer

« Reply #13 on: 2009-05-04 15:57:45 »
the quality might also because of the original video that he used to make these cutscenes

i suggest using 1080p videos, so even if you shrink it to 320x224 resolution of ff7 the quality is still great

also the kbit per second should be high around 3k~5kb/second

the compression type might also be a big factor too

you can force the fmvs to run in 32-bit color but if your video card is not compatible then it will create a black bar

and actually, some fmvs don't count frame rate, only the ones that insert models in it count frame rate

Aurenasek116

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-05-04 17:07:17 »
Not if you use a certain OpenGL driver..  :-)

The current version only has the TM2.0 codec though, but I can add any codec supported by ffmpeg on request.

You must mean the driver by Aali, sadly I can't use it because I'm using a no-cd crack :P I don't feel like buying the game for PC just to play with the driver, I bought it once for PSX and for me that's enough, for PC I'm sticking to my torrented copy. Even still, it would be better if you could release it in higher resolution.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-05-04 18:43:01 »
Quote from: Aali
Not if you use a certain OpenGL driver..   :-)

I'll bite  :-D  This would be much appreciated, when I did the videos prior, there were xvid versions as well.  The small amount of tweaking to get them to work with FF7 made big headaches for myself with constant tech support.  I had gotten a h.264 video to run in FF7, it wasn't pretty, but support for any of those codecs would be great.

Grimmy

• View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #16 on: 2009-05-04 21:14:20 »
I actually did use the 1080p vids. However i edited in FLASH MX which is outdated, but has the convenience of layers.When I exported the new vids  to AVI the quality was greatly reduced. I may reedit them with Adobe Premiere CS4 if a friend will let me use his computer for a few hours, but it's doubtful. Anyway you could use an old tube tv as a second monitor if your video card supports that and then lower quality really isn't noticeable.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009-05-05 01:11:00 »
I'll bite  :-D  This would be much appreciated, when I did the videos prior, there were xvid versions as well.  The small amount of tweaking to get them to work with FF7 made big headaches for myself with constant tech support.  I had gotten a h.264 video to run in FF7, it wasn't pretty, but support for any of those codecs would be great.

Done. The next version (0.5b) will include all of ffmpegs demuxers and decoders, so now you can do stupid stuff like this:  :-P

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009-05-05 13:54:06 »
I've always said FF7 needed more Futurama!  :-P  Well done Aali, looking forward to this release.

koral

« Reply #19 on: 2009-05-05 14:41:29 »
Whoh, awesome Aali!
And a great job grimmy and Otokoshi, I like it!
 :-D

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009-05-06 01:25:25 »
This is impressive.

Grimmy

• View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #21 on: 2009-05-09 00:02:51 »
I've decided to keep these vids as is, although I will add an ending1 soon. Also expect a HQ release for use with Aali's custom driver in the next two weeks.

On another note, I've got a question. Since the scene with Zack in the truck isn't a movie it seems impossible to replace, but is there any way? No matter how difficult. Couldn't we edit the game in such a way that when it looks for the normal scene it is redirected to a new video and then when it's done sent to the ending of the scene. any help would be appreciated.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009-05-13 17:20:04 »
FINALLY started testing your videos haha. on bug to report (though i think it's on my end)

the audio for the movies, they are skipping and laggy. Any idea why that might be?

And i hope you release your high quality ones soon, can't wait! :-D

Grimmy

• View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #23 on: 2009-05-13 18:46:17 »
True I'm working on all the ones already released plus a few more, But they are so big it takes longer to process them.
I really don't know about the bug, I don't experience it, however you could download super for free and reencode them with a different setting. I used Avi with Xvid and mp3.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009-05-14 04:36:23 »
Grimmy307,

I went ahead and downloaded and converted Clover27's "FFVII Remake - Opening Credits and Start Menu" from youtube and replaced the opening Eidos fmv with it.  I'm hoping to contact him and see if he wouldn't mind sending me a higher quality version and allow me to distribute it alongside yours.

My question to you is, once you're done, would you like to make a torrent out of all of these for easier/quicker distribution?  I have a feeling the more Aali gets his driver improving, the more people are going to want your fmvs.