Author Topic: [PSX] Merging Discs  (Read 7201 times)

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
[PSX] Merging Discs
« on: 2014-05-04 11:05:45 »
I recently decided to unpack my FF7 disc images and diffmerge them together in an effort to unify the 3 CDs into 1, for the sake of portability.
I knew there would be a great deal of hackery involved in removing the disc swap checks, but I felt up for the challenge.
After googling a couple of the filenames that were always different (namely the FMV index "MOVIE_ID.BIN"), I discovered that this was old news and some guys had already merged FF7, 8 & 9 into DVD format via batch script patches. Unfortunately, the thread is now a ghost town and it seems impossible to download the scripts.

Here's the link, if anyone is interested: http://ngemu.com/threads/disc-combining-kits.118402/page-2#post-1603061 (If this somehow violates any rules for whatever reason, please just delete this whole thread)

By any chance, has anyone got a copy of said scripts saved somewhere? I feel as though it's something that's missing from the grand archive of final fantasy hacking resources we have here.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: [PSX] Merging Discs
« Reply #1 on: 2014-05-05 15:46:57 »
Ooh, this thread has a giant target on its head, waiting patiently for someone to break the rules and get themselves a piracy ban. I should probably get this out of the way:

Under no circumstances is anybody to post or ask for a pre-merged disc image, or any other downloads containing copyrighted data. Tutorials and scripts are perfectly fine, as long as you use them on images ripped from your own legal discs. ~Covarr

Unfortunately, I don't know where to find this. While there is some PSX content on this site, we have typically focused more on the PC version.

It looks like the scripts you found require a hacked emulator and the right plugin in order to run a DVD5 PS1 image. Is there any way at all to get a merged game to play in a more accurate emulator, such as XEBRA or Mednafen?

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-05-05 17:27:33 »
Someone on that site has now posted the links again at https://app.box.com/s/b02715f2fe91cdc42fd1
« Last Edit: 2014-05-05 20:29:16 by Bosola »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-05-06 15:28:55 »
I've been looking for this for forever! finally someone found it and is my hero haha

Now to try and post the source for the dvd5 code for PCSX-r and hope the devs will add it :D

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #4 on: 2014-05-06 22:32:45 »
Someone on that site has now posted the links again at https://app.box.com/s/b02715f2fe91cdc42fd1
Amazing! Thanks very much  :D
The finished result (for VII at least) seems to work fine in pSX, just running some tests now.

Edit: Works fine for me on everything I've tested it with so far, it can load a save game from any disc and the transition between discs is seamless (Doesn't ask me to save, either). Sweet, that's about 700MB shaved off.
« Last Edit: 2014-05-06 23:14:17 by hotdog963al »

myst6re

• Light King of the Savegame - Field Master - FF8.fr
    • View Profile
    • FF8.fr
« Reply #5 on: 2014-05-09 20:10:18 »
A good idea to have a smallest result is to replace all movies by empty movies. If someone has already done I'm interested.