Author Topic: [WIP] New sound effects for FFVII  (Read 123074 times)

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
Re: Editing the sound effects in FFVII
« Reply #25 on: 2010-06-30 20:33:57 »
Found a good Barret sound on that site

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=30749

And for those who want Barret to sound like a cannon:
http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=39071

Dunno if you're even looking for sounds. But stumbled upon them so i thought i'd share em

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010-06-30 20:38:24 »
The second one sounds more like a high powered gun, and you can even hear the shells hitting, I LOVE IT!

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-06-30 20:59:44 »
Wow, how do I get that to work for FFVII?

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010-06-30 21:39:53 »
Wow, how do I get that to work for FFVII?
Learn how to use Cosmo. Its easy and simple to use. :)

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-06-30 22:30:19 »
Found a good Barret sound on that site

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=30749

And for those who want Barret to sound like a cannon:
http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=39071

Dunno if you're even looking for sounds. But stumbled upon them so i thought i'd share em

Yeah I'm always looking for sounds. Thank you ! And I also love the second one. I already have the sound for the MPs and Barret's machinegun, but there are a lot of machinegun sounds to cover...

2 or 3 more SFX, and I'm releasing a new version. That will be 30 done. Since there are 723 of them, and even though I don't intend to replace them all, I'm gonna be busy for a while   ::)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-07-01 00:53:00 »
just a question, but are these sounds being normalized with the stock sounds? I don't think people want a nice fire sound, then a booming canon that blows out their laptop speakers. Just curious since i didn't read anything about that.

lee

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-07-01 09:02:32 »
Ha, I didn't think about this. It's true that converting a sound to an ADPCM slightly increases its volume, but I think they shouldn't blow out anyone's speakers. Still, since I don't have a laptop I can't test them (they sound normalized on my computer), so feel free to report any problem if you encounter one.

EDIT :

New version. 30 sound effects inside. I also changed Tifa's normal attack sound and gave the previous one to the enemies. Sounds a lot better.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-01 12:27:07 by Armorvil »

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-07-01 16:50:49 »
I think pyrozen meant that sounds should be normalized against each other (even stock ones) to make sure they're all at the same level.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010-07-01 20:21:16 »
Ah, yes. It's true that the new sounds are a bit louder than the originals because of the conversion to adpcm, but it is barely noticeable. I'm currently playing through the game with them, and I noticed no such problem - aside from the fact that the sfx I gave to sound effect #34 isn't adequate. When the Motor Ball battletank tries to run over your characters, it sure shouldn't sound like a punch !

Since SFX #34 is used for many different attacks (the MPs' tonfa, Motor Ball's Highway & Deadly Wheel, ...), we (I ?) have to find a hit sound more generic.

EDIT :

What do you think about this sound, for #34 ? I think it's nice and does the job pretty well :) It's a bit much for damage from just a Tonfa, but it fits to more powerful creatures (Jenova Hojo and his combos...) or machines. Me likey physical attacks that sound powerful ^^
« Last Edit: 2010-07-01 21:43:52 by Armorvil »

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] New sound effects for FFVII
« Reply #34 on: 2010-07-03 14:48:52 »
I'd have to hear it in game but it sounds promising.

sicatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010-07-03 20:46:19 »
I modified some of your existing character attacks sounds and added voices to them.

see if it sounds ok : http://www.mediafire.com/file/eim3j2myofm/ff7wav_test.rar

The voices came from some Mugen(Free customizable fighting game engine) characters.

Cloud voice from "Cloud" by Yamakichi
Tifa voice from "Tifa" by Yamakichi
Barret voice from "Khan by BadDarkness"
Aeris voice from "K.M.Mioh by Cerenas"

Of course all of them were ripped from other games by their respective authors(not sure with the cloud and tifa one) So if this violates the rules or anything, please kindly remove the link.
I hoped I helped add a few ideas. :)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010-07-03 21:03:29 »
Would it be possible (perhaps with some AI modding, I dunno exactly how) to add NEW sounds to the game, instead of just replacing existing ones?

Obviously, you don't want to use a punching sound for an explosion, but a generic one wouldn't be nearly as good, but being able to separate them would be great if possible.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2010-07-03 23:12:32 »
I modified some of your existing character attacks sounds and added voices to them.

see if it sounds ok : http://www.mediafire.com/file/eim3j2myofm/ff7wav_test.rar

The voices came from some Mugen(Free customizable fighting game engine) characters.

Cloud voice from "Cloud" by Yamakichi
Tifa voice from "Tifa" by Yamakichi
Barret voice from "Khan by BadDarkness"
Aeris voice from "K.M.Mioh by Cerenas"

Of course all of them were ripped from other games by their respective authors(not sure with the cloud and tifa one) So if this violates the rules or anything, please kindly remove the link.
I hoped I helped add a few ideas. :)

LOL ! Great voices ! I particularly like the Big Shot one, as well as the girls. Cloud, not so much. I'll have to try those in-game ^^

Would it be possible (perhaps with some AI modding, I dunno exactly how) to add NEW sounds to the game, instead of just replacing existing ones?

Obviously, you don't want to use a punching sound for an explosion, but a generic one wouldn't be nearly as good, but being able to separate them would be great if possible.

I have no clue about the possibility of adding new sounds, but what you can do is change the impact sound of the enemies' abilities, with the help of Proud Clod. Some SFX also seem to be unused in this huge list, so it's possible to change those completely, and to assign them to specific monster abilities. Heck, I'm sure you could also add voices to the Turks, for example (by the way, I'm pretty sure that Reno's stick sound is never used anywhere else in the game) ...

By the way, here is the sound for the claw attacks. Way better than the "DJAH" original, IMO. And on a side note, since I'm back to actively working on my mod, I won't be mad if somebody else takes my place in this project.

EDIT:

Okay, I tested the voices in-game, and... ...they're excellent !!  :o I can't believe how much they improve the feel of the game. It feels less autistic somehow. And this is from someone who doesn't like the Japanese anime-style voices usually. Hey Sicatrix, if you've got plenty of voices like those in store, don't hesitate to create more sounds ;D
*Armorvil triggers Tifa's limit over and over with a smile on his face*
« Last Edit: 2010-07-04 00:02:07 by Armorvil »

sicatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010-07-04 00:40:22 »
lol, I knew you'd like the Tifa one. Once I added those voices  for her I never took her out of the party and always had her on Hyper. ;P

I guess we could help each other out here.
Do you already know the number placements of all of Tifa's sound fx?
If you have a list of a lot more number placements then it's even better. :)

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2010-07-04 01:17:02 »
I don't remember other Tifa sounds in there, but here is my updated list. The sounds that don't have numbers, in the end, are sounds located between #0 and #30. I started numbering the sfx from #30 onward, and was too lazy to number those later.

Image 1

Image 2

And sorry for the rare french words tossed in there :P [actually, I think there's only one : étouffé, which means muffled]. Also, I think I remember me mixing up both Yuffie's and Sephiroth's attacks/critical attacks.

EDIT :

Also, I think I remember that #540 is Barret's Ungermax/Angermax. I suck at recognizing Limit sounds - especially since my team is often the same : Tifa & Yuffie.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-04 01:51:56 by Armorvil »

sicatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2010-07-04 02:24:24 »
Is 15-machinegun only used by barret?

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2010-07-04 09:42:24 »
Sadly, no. Many enemies, like the MP, use it too. Not to mention this machinegun sound is also heard on the field (when climbing the pillar in Sector 7, for example). And silly me, #540 is not Ungermax, it's Highwind.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-04 09:44:38 by Armorvil »

sicatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2010-07-04 18:14:46 »
It seems 15 machine gun is also used for Angermax, too bad.

*EDIT*Well here's Tifa's Dolphin Blow: Failed attempt :P

I haven't quit tested this one yet so if you think any part of it needs to be changed just tell me.
I just hope this one isn't a shared sound effect.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-04 19:44:29 by sicatrix »

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2010-07-04 19:08:33 »
Er... ...I didn't test it in-game either, but did you listen to it ? I mean, it doesn't sound like water at all. Actually, to be frank, I think the SFX you used is just one big mess, since it doesn't sound like a hit either  :|
And her voice is... ...well. No offense, but it sounds like the scream of a harpy or another monster. I think you'd have to torture Tifa quite a lot to get such a sound out of her, lol.

I just hope you won't take my criticism badly. Discouraging you is absolutely not the goal, and I hesitated a lot on writing my honest thoughts about this one. The previous voices you posted were absolutely excellent, and I'd love to get more from you. I'm just surprised you posted one as bad as this one. I'll try to look for a nice sound, but since it's a water splash one, chances are it's used somewhere else (from Mr Dolphin, maybe ?).

sicatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2010-07-04 19:37:43 »
lol, that's what I thought as well. The water sound raped the whole effect...man that was my second attempt. It's surprisingly difficult to find a good water splash sound on the net. If you find one then send it my way.

I'm currently at Junon and I have my fingers crossed that mr.dolphin won't screw this up.

Oh and the tifa voice was amplified the wrong way *dope*...my bad, I'll fix that.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2010-07-04 19:39:16 »
Just wanted to chime in and I liked his first ones as well.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2010-07-04 19:54:25 »
Tifa's splash sound I just created, as well as a sound for casting magic I forgot to upload earlier.

As usual, tell me what you think. As I did, an honest opinion - don't hesitate to tell me it's crap :P

sicatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2010-07-04 21:43:08 »
And her voice is... ...well. No offense, but it sounds like the scream of a harpy or another monster. I think you'd have to torture Tifa quite a lot to get such a sound out of her, lol.

I got confused here. ;P

Tifa's voice got amplified wrong and couldn't be heard because of the horrible water splash effect I used. The squeaky banshee voice that is audible was a dolphin voice.

Oh and thanks for the new splash sound. Im going to redo the fx then. :)

Magic one seems fine, but I think it still doesn't quite hit the mark.

EDIT:
Okay 4th times a charm...I hope : http://www.mediafire.com/file/amovqnzymdt/403-dolphin blow test4.rar

EDIT:
Here's a new Beta sound effect : http://www.mediafire.com/file/nwzxqnnmmdo/139-beta.rar
« Last Edit: 2010-07-05 12:41:54 by sicatrix »

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2010-07-06 20:43:42 »
By the way, i forgot to tell you that I heard Tifa's normal attack sound when the girl punches Big Bro at the gym (after he lost to the squats, he's hit by his boss), and when Barret hits the debris in despair, just after the plate fell and crashed sector 7. The former is not really a problem (the voice fits her, and it's hilarious ^^), but the latter... ...Let's just say I didn't know that Barret has such a feminine voice :P
« Last Edit: 2010-07-06 20:46:14 by Armorvil »

Trinity Dark

« Reply #49 on: 2010-07-07 08:27:20 »
I wanted to remind you that your sound effect patch might not work if you add voices in because I saw that there was a voice over project going on right now so I don't think it would be compatible with that project.