Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] The Reunion (OLD THREAD, SAVED FOR POSTERITY)  (Read 1261951 times)

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
Re: The Reunion [IN PROGRESS]
« Reply #2050 on: 2013-09-19 15:04:37 »
Out of interest, I emailed Alex O. Smith to ask if SE had ever approached him to create a new translation of FF7. He said they hadn't, but he'd been keen if they ever did.

He said it would take him and his team about six months to do (given the estimated number of Japanese characters is 500,000). It's quite incredible that a fan has managed to do a version for themselves.

Congratulations!

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: 2013-09-19 15:07:41 »
This one always bothered me.

Old
{YUFFIE}
“Oh man…
   'Materia Hunter {YUFFIE}'
   sounds like the last chapter of
   'Materia Forever'.”

New
{YUFFIE}
“Oh,man.
  Feels like this is ‘Farewell,materia…’,
  the final chapter of ‘{YUFFIE}:Materia Hunter’.”

Shouldn't it be "Farewell, Materia"? and "Yuffie: Materia Hunter"?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: 2013-09-19 15:30:27 »
The standard is to use curly single brackets when inside double curly, for everything.  I discussed this with Covarr.  In fact, straight single and double should only ever be used when you are unsure what the font will be.  In books, it should be avoided always.

If you are referring to spaces after the colon and comma, they are added by FF7 because I altered the character spacings.  All the quotes I place up here will be the same.

As for Alex, he would also need a LOT of understanding of FF7.  I am not sure if he has that, but without it, it is a non starter, and to make it the most competent it could be, he would also need direct contact with the writers.

Part of the reason I feel so confident about a lot of this localisation is because I understand the game back to front. If I didn't understand the game like I do, it would have been near impossible.  500,000 characters also seems a little on the low side.  It is around 1.3 MB text, so that would be closer to 1 million inc spaces.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-19 15:44:05 by DLPB »

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2053 on: 2013-09-19 15:50:12 »
The standard is to use curly single brackets when inside double curly, for everything.  I discussed this with Covarr.  In fact, straight single and double should only ever be used when you are unsure what the font will be.  In books, it should be avoided always.

If you are referring to spaces after the colon and comma, they are added by FF7 because I altered the character spacings.  All the quotes I place up here will be the same.

I can't remember your grammatical rule when it comes to Materia vs materia, but even so within the context of the sentence it would be a title so wouldn't the Materia in Farewell,materia be capitalized - brackets and commas and whatnot aside?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: 2013-09-19 15:56:20 »
I considered that, but I left it for Covarr, since I was unsure if the chapters would also be titled the same.  Materia is lower case in normal use in our localisation, and indeed on wikipedia and elsewhere :)

Black Materia, of course is all capitalised, among a few others.  I've also capitalised actual types, Lightning.   Covarr will iron out these issues anyway :)
« Last Edit: 2013-09-19 15:58:08 by DLPB »

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: 2013-09-19 15:57:51 »
As for Alex, he would also need a LOT of understanding of FF7.  I am not sure if he has that, but without it, it is a non starter, and to make it the most competent it could be, he would also need direct contact with the writers.

Part of the reason I feel so confident about a lot of this localisation is because I understand the game back to front. If I didn't understand the game like I do, it would have been near impossible.  500,000 characters also seems a little on the low side.  It is around 1.3 MB text, so that would be closer to 1 million inc spaces.

Alex wrote the translations for FFVIII, FFIX, FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Final Fantasy Anthology, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and Vagrant Story (considered the best Jap-Eng translation job ever), and many more. He's worked with SE to such a degree that they now start translating while the game is being made with his participation. His team are not just folk who go through scripts and blindly translate things! So I think it's fair to say that he and his team would manage to do a good job in sixth months! :) Also, remember that they would be working full time on it, not just doing it in their spare time, too. That's a LOT of hours -- something like 2,000.

Also, he was talking about Japanese characters, not English ones. 500,000 Japanese characters. No spaces!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: 2013-09-19 15:59:25 »
Alex wrote the translations for FFVIII, FFIX, FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Final Fantasy Anthology, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and Vagrant Story (considered the best Jap-Eng translation job ever), and many more. He's worked with SE to such a degree that they now start translating while the game is being made with his participation. His team are not just folk who go through scripts and blindly translate things! So I think it's fair to say that he and his team would manage to do a good job in sixth months! :) Also, remember that they would be working full time on it, not just doing it in their spare time, too. That's a LOT of hours -- something like 2,000.

Also, he was talking about Japanese characters, not English ones. 500,000 Japanese characters. No spaces!

It would be cool to see how his differs with ours at the end.  He would still need direct contact with the writers though.  Hopefully they would provide that, they certainly didn't in 1996.  I've done the best job I could with what's available.  Also, he would likely leave in some mistakes that have now become "canon" such as Mideel.  So you still wouldn't get a bona fide correct translation.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: 2013-09-19 16:01:35 »
Materia should be capitalized in this case because it's a chapter title.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: 2013-09-19 16:03:07 »
It would be cool to see how his differs with ours at the end. 

That would be great. Although unless SE stump up his fee, I don't think that's ever going to happen. (I tossed around the idea of a Kickstarter with him, but he quite rightly assured me it would have dubious legality at best.) The chances of seeing such a translation are next to nil, unfortunately. Yours will be the best we have for some time, at the very least.

I considered that, but I left it for Covarr, since I was unsure if the chapters would also be titled the same.  Materia is lower case in normal use in our localisation, and indeed on wikipedia and elsewhere :)

Black Materia, of course is all capitalised, among a few others.  I've also capitalised actual types, Lightning.   Covarr will iron out these issues anyway :)

That (and the spacing) was indeed what I was referring to. Book titles and chapter titles are always Capitalized.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-19 16:09:32 by ThunderPeel2001 »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: 2013-09-19 16:15:06 »
I knew this would be an non-legal adding  (:-P), but according to Yuffies character, I would say: ‘{YUFFIE}: The heroin Materia Hunter’ sounds much more like her.
And bumped again.  :-P

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: 2013-09-19 16:20:05 »
And bumped again.  :-P

As you said, it's an illegal addition.  :P

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: 2013-09-20 00:14:39 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C06zAbPi52M

Still compiling questions for Luksy. He's gonna have fun.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: 2013-09-20 02:19:12 »
here

I've left it here for Luksy to edit.  149 questions from revision 3.  Lovely.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-20 02:44:46 by DLPB »

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: 2013-09-20 16:45:42 »
You mention in the first post that there's one or two major (i.e. story changing) mistakes in the original translation. What were they?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: 2013-09-20 18:10:07 »
There were more than 2, and off top of my head I can't remember them all.  In the original PSX, Zeng is said to be dead for example and still in PC: Sephiroth being "created 5 years ago".

There are also many others were the story is altered slightly. When I release this you can maybe do a comparison.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: 2013-09-20 22:00:33 »
There were more than 2, and off top of my head I can't remember them all.  In the original PSX, Zeng is said to be dead for example and still in PC: Sephiroth being "created 5 years ago".

There are also many others were the story is altered slightly. When I release this you can maybe do a comparison.

I don't know the script well enough to compare, but I was just wondering how it might have affected my appreciation if we'd had a better script from the beginning. When was Sephiroth created then?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: 2013-09-20 22:05:28 »
However old he is. 

New
Hojo
“Heh,heh…”{NEW}
“I offered the woman pregnant with
  my child to Professor Gusto's
  Jenova Project.”{NEW}
“Sephiroth was still in the
  womb when Jenova cells were…”
------------------------------
Hojo
“Haw,haw,haw!!”

The offending dialogue is this

Old
Code: [Select]
“So Sephiroth knows he was created five
years ago?
And about the Jenova Project?”

New
Code: [Select]
“So 5 years ago,Sephiroth
  discovered the secret behind
  his birth… the Jenova Project?”

« Last Edit: 2013-09-22 13:22:09 by DLPB »

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: 2013-09-21 20:31:35 »
Yikes. That's some terrible translating! It's not even close to the original Japanese intention (based on your adaptation).

I wonder if that's the worst example you've come across through all this?

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2068 on: 2013-09-21 21:58:14 »
I have to admit I look forward to your reactions on the Wutai retranslation... XD

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: 2013-09-22 13:24:20 »
Yikes. That's some terrible translating! It's not even close to the original Japanese intention (based on your adaptation).

I wonder if that's the worst example you've come across through all this?

The worst one is on the Beacause post at the beginning of this thread with Yuffie.

This is an old comparison of Wutai (I've made a few changes since this)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWQfGck0Lzw

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: 2013-09-22 16:37:37 »
I am working on the new ff9 style title bar.  If anyone wants to make their own when I am done to improve this, I am all for it.  I am not the best when it comes to graphics sadly.

Here is what I have so far.  Battle graphics pose a problem because Aali's driver does not do anything with it.  You have to apply a blur effect so that it looks even remotely decent, and the way ff7 battle works, the graphic has to really be a multiple of 2 in height (if using fine edges), or it again goes all stupid.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36889302/FF7/new_ff9.PNG
« Last Edit: 2013-09-22 20:41:47 by DLPB »

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2071 on: 2013-09-22 19:22:03 »
I'm taking that screenshot is an example of all stupid?

Ver Greeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: 2013-09-23 13:24:32 »
Either that or conquering the stupid, because it looks pretty good IMO. But then I'm not sure I'm focusing on the right elements.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: 2013-09-23 13:48:27 »
It has been updated since she saw it, but I did say "so far" in my post, so she should have known.  :-D
« Last Edit: 2013-09-24 01:36:44 by DLPB »

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2074 on: 2013-09-23 17:04:04 »
Ahaha, woops, way to go me missing important words. Apologies for that!

PS - I'm still a she. XD
« Last Edit: 2013-09-23 19:49:44 by mugenginga »