Author Topic: Errors with trying mods with discs  (Read 3334 times)

EmperorM

• View Profile
Errors with trying mods with discs
« on: 2019-09-22 22:33:06 »
I have the (original?) black label FF VII EIDOS discs from back in the day and have been trying the mod instructions for 7th Heaven.  I have Windows 10.

I used the new installer which originally gave me registry errors but trying it again seemed to do the trick.  However, I still get errors where it asks me to insert a disc despite me having done maximum install.  This would seem to indicate it didn't recognize it as maximum install but I don't know.

Then the conversion utility says fatal error - "could not find any languages."

I did try the registry key delete tool which didn't help anything other than now the game says no registry key detected.

Any ideas?  I don't know how many issuges I even have here.  Am I supposed to check the DirectX/DirectShow patches when I install (I assume not)?  Am I supposed to check the patches when I install (I assume yes)?

And what do I check in the config utility for graphics if I have a newer (circa 2012?) AMD card?

EmperorM

• View Profile
Re: Errors with trying mods with discs
« Reply #1 on: 2019-09-24 02:39:51 »
Update - best I can tell, I was having issues due to a dirty install disc - after trying again after wiping it things seem to work better despite not having gotten error messages initially. Still had the issue that the instructions said not to use Program Files as a path but Tom's Installer wouldn't run if I didn't.  So I have made it further but having issues still and the 7th Heaven app seems to require that I run as administrator or I get an error - is that normal?  Otherwise, the Aali driver doesn't launch when I click it though it did run the first time and I seem to be stuck there.

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-09-24 13:14:36 »
I responded to you via Discord (since you had also posted there), but didn't get anything back.  Anyways, what happens if you uninstall everything, run the reg key cleaners, and then try installing with just the original installer?  I've personally never needed Tom's on Win7 x32 or x64, nor on Win10 x64, and the original lets you manually set the install path to something more "traditional" like C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII. 

Edit:  Said key cleaners can be found a couple of steps down in this thread
« Last Edit: 2019-09-24 13:16:41 by LordUrQuan »

EmperorM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-09-24 18:22:06 »
Thanks.  Good to know I might not need Toms Installer.  Not sure at this point how much of my difficulties were due to the dirty disc. Didn't see the Discord response, I am still new to Discord.  I will see if I can check and try again tonight.  Thanks again!

EmperorM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-09-26 00:52:42 »
Tried everything againafter clearing my registry keys.  Using the native installer on the install disc I chose maximum but it finished before ever asking me for any of the other discs, so it seems not to work so I used Tom's installer, which seemed to work fine except it gives you an error if you choose anything other than the default path.  But then I downloaded the conversion tool, which seemed to mostly work but gave me a file not found error though it didn't say which file.  Then I tried copying the 7th Heaven tool into the folder (which, again is C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII because Tom's installer wouldn't let me pick anything else) and it loads but the Aali driver option doesn't do anything when I pick it.  And when I exit out and run it again this is the error message I get.  Do I need to try manually moving it somewhere else?  If so do I need to manually modify the registry keys?

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Iros._7th.Workshop.Log' threw an exception. ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\7thWorkshop\applog.txt' is denied.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalDelete(String path, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.File.Delete(String path)
   at Iros._7th.Workshop.Log..cctor() in C:\cygwin64\home\Jauria\Proyectos\Final\7H\Git\7H\7thHeaven.Code\Log.cs:line 21
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Iros._7th.Workshop.Log.Write(String s)
   at Iros._7th.Workshop.fLibrary.fLibrary_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\cygwin64\home\Jauria\Proyectos\Final\7H\Git\7H\7thWorkshop\fLibrary.cs:line 52
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2019-09-26 06:49:29 »
The game converter will ask if you want to copy the game folder to another location if it's installed in a system folder (in your case, Program Files (x86). When it copies it over, it points the registry keys to that new location.

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-09-26 13:50:36 »
Tried everything again after clearing my registry keys.
Unlike Alyza, I'm going to ask you to do this again :/

Using the native installer on the install disc I chose maximum but it finished before ever asking me for any of the other discs, so it seems not to work
This is totally normal, part of 1990s era copy protection and disk resource constraints. Once installed, the game is designed to look for disk 1/2/3 in the CD drive on start-up, and play the FMVs from the CD rather than the hard drive.  Don't worry, later steps will deal with this.

so I used Tom's installer, which seemed to work fine except it gives you an error if you choose anything other than the default path.
Except the default path makes life hard for mods because \Program Files\ and \Program Files (x86)\ are system protected folders.  That's why the tutorial tells you to avoid installing there.

But then I downloaded the conversion tool, which seemed to mostly work but gave me a file not found error though it didn't say which file.
Again, normal.  I'd have to look at the underlying code and my FF7_GC.log to see exactly what it's doing there, but I think it's part of the "Which version do you have?" checks.

Then I tried copying the 7th Heaven tool into the folder (which, again is C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII because Tom's installer wouldn't let me pick anything else) and it loads but the Aali driver option doesn't do anything when I pick it.  And when I exit out and run it again this is the error message I get.  Do I need to try manually moving it somewhere else?  If so do I need to manually modify the registry keys?

...error...
Ok... like I said, while Alyza advises that the converter will offer to copy the folders and reset your keys, I think it's easier and safer in the long run (given MSFT's propensity to break crap during monthly patch cycles, more on that shortly) to uninstall everything, re-run the registry cleaners, then reinstall using the normal installer, choosing the "Maximum" option, and giving it a non-default folder like C:\Games\FF7.  I help a couple of the coder types with testing when they need someone who can actually replicate processes and errors, so here's what a typical "Install from scratch" cycle looks like to me...
1.  Clone a fresh virtual machine from my base library (snapshots are great within a testing tree, but for each new process, it's easier for me to start from scratch just to be sure)
2.  Install FF7 with the original installer (unless I'm actually testing an alternate). Options as you go along are
   Screen 1 - Install DirectX 5, Install DirectShow, do not install Yamaha (This is the default)
   Screen 2 - Maximum Install
   Screen 3 - Destination Folder = C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII
   Screen 4 - Program Folders = Final Fantasy VII  (This is the default)
   Reboot now (Because, well, crap back then just did these sorts of things.  Actually, crap *still* does this sort of thing because it's, well, crap.  Linux and BSD don't make me do this :( )
3.  Manually create C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\data\movies  (The game converter will tell you it's been done for you, but there's an order of execution bug where it doesn't create it until after you tell it this exists, and this can cause headaches.  It may also be one of your "File not found" messages.)
4.  Mount the dummy FF7DISC1.ISO file.
5.  Run the converter.  Make sure you include quotation marks when typing in your game and movie paths!!!  Here's what the game converter is doing:
   - Identifying where to look for a "game" CD
   - Apply the v1.02 patch, install aali's OpenGL driver, set registry keys for some stuff
   - Throw an error (System can't find file)
   - Run FF7Config and set new registry keys.  This is super important!! If you run FF7Config outside the converter, your keys will break and the game will crash.  If you ever decide to change sound settings, you need to do it by re-running the converter and choosing "Overwrite" when prompted at the start.
   - Splice in a couple of DLLs needed for mods to work, and a patch that lets you play with any FF7 CD, even the dummy one from the 7H tutorial.
   - Offer a laptop keyboard patch to make playing on a lappy easier (Since there's no numeric keypad on those)
6.  Install whatever version of 7H I'm either testing or using as baseline, along with whatever mods I'm enjoying or testing.
7.  Create a 7H shortcut on my desktop, with the 'Run as Admin' compatibility flag set
8.  Play time! :)  (Sometimes after setting the "Run in 640x480" compatibility flag on ff7.exe... this seems to always be needed on Win10, but not always on Win7.  Don't ask me why)

Now, about MSFT and breaking crap (and why I suggested redoing from start rather than copying/moving with the game converter)... On nearly every patch Tuesday, MSFT somehow breaks something, usually our registry keys, and causes the game to fall flat on its face when just the night before everything had been running smoothly.  In most instances, all that's needed to get running again is to run the game converter again (so keep it handy!), and choose "Overwrite" at the beginning of the process, then complete the rest of the steps as you normally would.
« Last Edit: 2019-09-26 14:14:34 by LordUrQuan »

EmperorM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-10-04 03:29:45 »
Thanks - I am finally getting back to this after not being able to work on it for a few days.  I tried it again following LordUrQuan's instructions.  After another no languages found error (dirty disc again?) I tried again and finally got it to work... sort of.  Here are my issues/questions:

1.  As suggested, I did use the native installer this time, but as I said previously it never asked me for discs 1-3 at all.  Does this not matter since the movies are all run from the mods anyway?  Also, do I now always need the thumb drive plugged in called FF7DISC1 whenever I play the game?  Can I just have the actual disc 1 in the drive or does that not work for some reason?

2.  Which mods are the mandatory ones?  Since the movies didn't copy, when I loaded it I found that no movies loaded and the game didn't really work.  It wasn't until I downloaded the movies mod that the movies played and then it worked though I only actually played through the first battle.  So is the movie one a mandatory mod to download/use?  Are there any other ones that you have to have or it won't work?

3.  Although I was able to get it to run, I had no sound whatsoever.  When I ran the conversion tool, I picked an audio device and tested it and it worked fine, but when I actually loaded the game, I got no sound whatsoever, no video sound, music, or SFX.  The one thing that may be worth mentioning is that I do have the PC hooked up to a TV so when I ran the config tool and the dialog came up, the default choice for sound was the TV (via HDMI) and so I picked that (and it tested fine).  Anyway, once I found the sound didn't work, I tried running the conversion tool again and now the videos don't work at all, so maybe I need to try yet another fresh install but I will save that for next time.  In the meantime, any thoughts appreciated.

4.  How to I get the FPS counter to go away?

Thanks a lot!!!

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2019-10-04 12:58:16 »
1.  As suggested, I did use the native installer this time, but as I said previously it never asked me for discs 1-3 at all.  Does this not matter since the movies are all run from the mods anyway?  Also, do I now always need the thumb drive plugged in called FF7DISC1 whenever I play the game?  Can I just have the actual disc 1 in the drive or does that not work for some reason?
This is normal.  The original release plays the movies off the CD, even when choosing the 'Maximum' install option, that's why it's not asking for discs 1-3.  You do need to have a movie mod of some type active, though, otherwise you'll either lock or crash (I forget which).  As for the ff7disc1 thumb drive, yes, that needs to be there.  There are a couple of work-arounnd options, though, to make it less painful:
- Win10 can mount .ISO images natively.  Just right click on it, and choose "Open with > Windows Explorer"  This will result in the image being given a drive letter and working just as if it were a physical CD (this is what I do at home).  If you do decide to go this route, you'll need to re-run the conversion tool so that the new file location keys can be set (your image will have a different drive letter than the USB stick)
- Burn the FF7DISC1 image to a physical CD.  This is my solution for when I tote around one of my old laptops that still uses Win7.  Again, re-run the converter so the drive letter gets updated.

2.  Which mods are the mandatory ones?  Since the movies didn't copy, when I loaded it I found that no movies loaded and the game didn't really work.  It wasn't until I downloaded the movies mod that the movies played and then it worked though I only actually played through the first battle.  So is the movie one a mandatory mod to download/use?  Are there any other ones that you have to have or it won't work?
I'm going to answer this more generally... For a Steam user, there are no "mandatory" mods at all. For a CD user, you can actually copy the movie files over from the CDs manually and things will work just fine, but that's kind of a pain, putting movie upscale mods into a kind of "you'd be silly not to" category.  As for the rest, it's very much a "tweak to personal taste" sort of thing.  I exclusively use satsuki's upscale mods unless troubleshooting something specific, and catalog characters/sound/models for the rest.  EQ2Alyza is Real Close(tm) to releasing catalog v3, so I'm hoping to see some new character models and the like.  DLPB's Reunion/Beacause re-translation work is absolutely awesome, but the version in the current catalog is R03 (which is way old), and the most current release (R05c) was just taken down because he's about two weeks away from releasing R06.

3.  Although I was able to get it to run, I had no sound whatsoever.  When I ran the conversion tool, I picked an audio device and tested it and it worked fine, but when I actually loaded the game, I got no sound whatsoever, no video sound, music, or SFX.  The one thing that may be worth mentioning is that I do have the PC hooked up to a TV so when I ran the config tool and the dialog came up, the default choice for sound was the TV (via HDMI) and so I picked that (and it tested fine).  Anyway, once I found the sound didn't work, I tried running the conversion tool again and now the videos don't work at all, so maybe I need to try yet another fresh install but I will save that for next time.  In the meantime, any thoughts appreciated.
Can't say I've ever run into this particular problem before where it worked in test, but not in-game :(  The cat didn't accidentally bump your receiver and change the sound port, did it?  As for the videos breaking, open your ff7_opengl.cfg file and check that "mod_path = Textures" and "direct_mode = on"

4.  How to I get the FPS counter to go away?
In the ff7_opengl.cfg file I just mentioned, that option is towards the bottom.
« Last Edit: 2019-10-04 19:32:55 by LordUrQuan »

EmperorM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2019-10-05 01:02:17 »
Tried everything again with basically the same result, but I can report that when I first tried to activate the music mod, it crashed 7th Heaven with the error below.  Something tells me the music mod installation not working?  I tried disabling the music mod but still no music.  Any ideas?

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Iros._7th.Workshop.fLibrary.CheckAllowedActivate(Guid modID) in C:\cygwin64\home\Jauria\Proyectos\Final\7H\Git\7H\7thWorkshop\fLibrary.cs:line 551
   at Iros._7th.Workshop.fLibrary.DoActivate(Guid modID) in C:\cygwin64\home\Jauria\Proyectos\Final\7H\Git\7H\7thWorkshop\fLibrary.cs:line 611
   at Iros._7th.Workshop.fLibrary.ToggleActivateMod(Guid modID) in C:\cygwin64\home\Jauria\Proyectos\Final\7H\Git\7H\7thWorkshop\fLibrary.cs:line 851
   at Iros._7th.Workshop.fLibrary.DoModBarAction(pMod pm, ModBarAction a) in C:\cygwin64\home\Jauria\Proyectos\Final\7H\Git\7H\7thWorkshop\fLibrary.cs:line 907
   at Iros._7th.Workshop.pMod.bActivate_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\cygwin64\home\Jauria\Proyectos\Final\7H\Git\7H\7thWorkshop\pMod.cs:line 200
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2019-10-05 17:03:09 »
I remember there being a problem with some versions of 7H paired with the catalog v2 "Media - Music and Sounds" mod that would crash it on extraction, but not exactly what the underlying cause was.  Try going to Strife's Mods of the Round thread and adding the Tsunamods Arranged Soundtrack and see if you have better luck with that.  Alternatively, we might be able to find a copy of 7H v1.54, which I don't think suffered from the extraction issue, either.

EmperorM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2019-10-06 00:06:13 »
Thanks.  I did everything all over again, this time I downloaded the movies mod first and got the same error, but upon restarting it worked fine.  I then tried the other music mod per your suggestion and that worked, as well as some other ones.  I then tried the regular music mod and... it worked!  (Ultimately I just wanted the OST)  So, not sure what that all means, and again I got that same error message when trying (this time) to activate the movie mod, but everything seems to be working OK at the moment.  Anyway, would love any other suggestions about texture mods.  Mostly just interested in the most enhanced experience.  Thanks again!