Author Topic: Monster Arena / Pvp  (Read 17047 times)

Rayved

• It ain't easy being cheesy
    • View Profile
Monster Arena / Pvp
« on: 2012-09-13 23:07:51 »
This is just an idea I had. I was thinking about how FF7 is being remade with Q-Gear and how it would be awesome to have the possibility to capture monsters and fight against other players. Has anyone ever made a mod that includes having a party of monsters?

Such a mod would require new locations, so a way to edit either the field (world map) or use an existing area and add a path somewhere by editing the background. It would also require a way to connect to the internet and a server. Anyone thinks it's a good idea?
« Last Edit: 2012-09-13 23:11:43 by Rayved »

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Monster Arena / Pvp
« Reply #1 on: 2012-09-13 23:46:33 »
i dont even know where to start with the impossibility of this
well, not TECHNICAL impossibility but it's not feasible

Lets start with this
New locations are ridiculously difficult to import and make. at best you can copy one field file over another like a debug room and use that. the walkmesh is complicated as sod too.
making the game send data to a server would require ENTIRELY new code. good luck with that lol
and capture monsters? even if you tried to do that something alike like chocobo capture, you would still need to store the monster and its values somewhere and so on.
and making them fight against others? jesus, everyone mods their game differently
what stops someone from hacking themselves a captured ruby weapon? or 10?

there are so many impossible things here that I pretty much guarantee you that this won't happen before what, 2014 or 2015 or something. realistically I'd say this will never ever happen.

Rayved

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-09-14 00:30:05 »
What if the monster arena data was a separate one from the original for the monsters. And it would save to a different path and stuff. Kinda like a game built in the  game. And everyone who would play would have the same version of the battle arena add-on.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 2012-09-14 00:34:07 »
you were swimming in the lake of never going to happen and now you have taken the exit to the river of not in your lifetime.
this stuff is funny to speculate and dream about but I'm a pragmatist. I only think about things that are actually achievable

Rayved

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-09-14 01:08:57 »
Anything is possible. It's all just data and files. There is a way for everything.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 2012-09-14 01:19:37 »
q-gears won't be complete for years and there is only so much you can do with the original engine and game
this, you can't do.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-09-14 01:23:28 »
It isn't going to happen. Ever.

Rayved

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-09-14 02:58:24 »
Sounds like a challenge!

...for someone else maybe.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 2012-09-14 03:02:44 »
for someone that doesn't have a job
and about a year of patience

Rayved

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-09-14 03:08:12 »
Honestly, I don't think it would take that long to do as a standalone game. Having it work with ff7 might be the only troublesome part.

ajthedj747

• Looking Forward to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-09-14 06:20:14 »
The problem with all of these ideas is that the work needed to make them come true requires at least a team of three of the members of this forum to work together for at least six months of time. If we can all just work together, then count me in. If not, then I shall wait until I can find someone that will have a similar view about this.

An arena customized like this idea would be remarkable indeed.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 2012-09-14 08:15:47 »
Sounds like a challenge!

...for someone else maybe.

No-one is going to spend 2+ years of unpaid labour on someone else's fantasy. One that, as Kuugen points out in his first post, may have various mechanics problems anyway.

If you really want to think about this, I would suggest writing a design document that specifically details the battle mechanics, match making process and how well most FFVII monsters currently fit the purpose. This will give you ideas as to the exact work items required.

Honestly, I don't think it would take that long to do as a standalone game. Having it work with ff7 might be the only troublesome part.

Well, it would.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-14 08:17:47 by Bosola »

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 2012-09-14 13:41:23 »
The easiest way to do this would be to reverse engineer the heck out of the chocobo breed system, duplicate the farm, give some 'chocobos' different models, set a few custom variables to their stats that are called when you "summon" them ( with an item that you would have to make a new function for ) and thus deal damage
that's the closest you can get without absurdity.
Other than that, please forget about it and stick to your horses. That Gogo model looks gorgeous, you seem a talented modeller, so it would be a lot better for everyone if you stuck to that. I can't even imagine how awesome a 3D Kefka would be a secret super boss.

Rayved

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012-09-14 16:53:19 »
Well I like learning new stuff when there's a need, and if nobody already has experience for this kind of project, I might start looking into it. I'm gonna start learning unity for a game I wanna do with some friends, and since I'm a FF fan, I might get some general experience in game making with such a project. Nothing you learn is ever wasted, who cares about the money lol.

As for a kefka model, why didn't anyone think of getting a ripped model from Dissidia?

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 2012-09-14 17:04:14 »
because this forum doesn't support ripping models from other games
in no way, shape or form
I personally think that's BS but I don't make the rules

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #15 on: 2012-09-14 18:49:13 »
It sounds like you're asking for an entirely new game. That would be faster than learning to re-write this one.

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
« Reply #16 on: 2012-09-14 21:40:03 »
Fantasies are nice. Id like to see a moded legend of dragoon, or implement the combo system into ff7, or see armor change depending on ur equipment. All things that are too tedious for one person and probably a team to undertake. Unless YOU can turn this fantasy into something tangible it wont be taken serious

Rayved

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012-09-14 22:34:54 »
What would also be nice is to be able to equip shields and relics from FFVI

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012-09-14 22:37:27 »
rename this topic to day dreams and have it moved to general discussion or completely unrelated

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 2012-09-14 22:38:55 »
we should have a sub forum for this stuff
so we can move all the unrealistic things there

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2012-09-15 00:19:57 »
Yikes! Lighten up guys o.o. Sure, the idea is a tad bit unrealistic, but you don't have to rip the poor fella's throat out for dreaming ^_^.
However, as was stated before a project of this nature would require many, many hours upon hours of work; it is doable in the coding sense, it however is just not overly realistic. I'd say a whole new game (which seems to be the route you are taking now) would be a lot more feasible and cost effective. Also it'd be worth more in the long run, experience wise, at the very least.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #21 on: 2012-09-15 00:23:40 »
if you think this is ripping out throats, you should maybe go to the rougher areas of the internet for a few hours
then you'll realize how incredibly carebearing this forum is.
and, a bit unrealistic? this is the most unrealistic thing I've ever seen proposed in here actually

I don't like encouraging people on stuff they won't be able to do. and no single person will be able to do this

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2012-09-15 00:54:20 »
I wouldn't say that it would be impossible. When Q-gears matures, adding a playable field
and new characters would be as easy as adding some scripts and utilizing akari's various importers.
That won't be any time soon although q-gears seems to be picking up some steam.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #23 on: 2012-09-15 01:09:25 »
Q-gears won't be done for another half a decade minimum
Bury those dreams in a time capsule

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2012-09-15 01:20:23 »
technically anything is possible for a game.  when we say impossible it means improbable. all this talk of q gears. its initial purpose is a cross platform game engine to run on any os. the priority isnt mods its getting it to work. once its up in running theyll work on mod compatability and new mods. until qgears is completely set stop assuming qgears is a cureall