Author Topic: FF7 Remake Teaser  (Read 10594 times)

mr_nygren

• View Profile
Re: FF7 Remake Teaser
« Reply #25 on: 2019-05-13 08:04:27 »
Lol, that would be super funny indeed! Imagine the faces of certain SE staff if such a mod actually manages to become popular, lol! Unlikely, I know, but a hilarious thought nonetheless.

About the character model looks: I've never cared about the details of those super-realistic character models in the various compilation games, but I remember various design choices by Square Enix that just left me shaking my head. When I first saw the Advent Children Sephiroth, I wondered for a moment if that was really him, looking so very different from his in-game counterpart (same with some other AC characters as well). Barret's new sun glasses were another... awkward choice to me, to say the least. Didn't the original Barret look baddass enough already? So why was this necessary? It doesn't add anything whatsoever to his character, and only serves to enhance that pseudo-coolness-factor that Square Enix seems to be so fond of.

And now this new Jessie... makeover? I'm completely with mr_nygren on this one, this woman looks like a completely different person now. If I were to just look at that picture of her, and without knowledge of the rest of the trailer, I'd never be able to identify her as Jessie...

I do agree with DLPB:s answer to my text mostly.

But chibi-models? No, they were great for their time but i want something new. But i would prefer HD-models that tries to look like the PRB/battle/FMV-models in HD. Or like in the  2015 trailer were they at least had a more anime-styled vibe. If they are too real-life like then FF7 will loose a part of it's charm. The unique style of Final fantasy VII made a difference in why it stood out. By making it in the same style as other Final Fantasy games it will no longer stand out from the others.

Edit: I answered this post to fast before reading everything.

Yes, i 100% agree that the characters looked a lot better in the original FMV-movies than  in Advent Children. They should have kept the original style. Even if they made it realistic they should not have changed the clothes, the pants, the weapons etc - because the characters were already bad-ass in the original game. If they weren't we wouldn't have liked it. The style on the contrary was one of the most fascinating and important aspects of the game. Every character with few exceptions looked really cool! But Sephiroth in particular made me obsessive for a few years about him and the game - mostly because of him.

His looks were so bad-ass that i wanted to be him and play as him really badly. President Rufus wasn't far behind. All i am hinting at is that the new style of Advent Children was underwhelming compared to the original FMV's. And of course Tifa went from a 10 to a 6 - if rating her looks. I think most FF7-fans had a crush on her for a particular reason.

Changing the looks of Sephiroth made him look less cool, and especially his hairstyle looked off in all the modern games - in FF7 it looked perfect. Even the chibi-model of Sephiroth looked more bad-ass than the modern representations - especially in the "Temple of the Ancients". It just had a much better hairstyle and cold big eyes. Barret looked way better in the original, he became smaller and less huge in everything that followed.

About Jessie, i am happy we are two thinking like this - She looks like she could be any Japanese woman now. While the original had a much more unique look.

« Last Edit: 2019-05-13 08:41:25 by mr_nygren »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2019-05-13 08:16:17 »
I'm personally still in the "I don't give a crap about the battle system" train. I want the story to remain fully untouched. 100% the same as the original. If the battles system is different, I don't care. Plenty of games use the ATB system, it's not something I'll cry about but if the story is changed, if parts are removed/added... then I'm gonna be pissed off.

As close as possible would be the best. The story has a strong base but technically it has many plot holes, isn't logical in some places and sometimes there could be more information and explanation (like the relationship between Tseng and Aerith and way he hasn't captured her when she was young). The big thing of to be a Soldier is also only important at the beginning, the rest of the game doesn't even care about Soldier or Cloud's Soldier-dress. But with my experience of the games from Nomura and Kitase I have high doubts that something really intelligent will be presented to us. I still think that the happenings of the first CD will be happened in Midgar only. Maybe there will be some location swaps like in CC, but I don't believe that we get to see a real WM like in the original. But my hope is still not lost at all.
Regarding the battle system: I can live with ARPG system or with an ATB system. However, I hope we don't get a single action button smasher game a la KH. I also think that an ARPG will put the game in direct competition with God of WAR, Spiderman, etc, while a refined ATB system would make the game unique and more outstanding from the rest of the current game generation. Divinity Original Sins has proven that it doesn't need fast actions for a good game.

FFVII isn't perfect and that's the only reason why moding the game makes sense to me, unlike FFIX which is perfect in my opinion (on PSX at last. For the PC port they could have overhauled every character at last and not only a handful. Same with FFX).

PS MGS3 had a theater mode where you could see the vids with Snake from MGS1 and it was pretty cool. A fun mod with the original chibi models might look awkward but I  guarantee you that this mod will be one of the most famous mods. Mostly because many wants a nostalgic kick.

mr_nygren

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2019-05-13 08:51:36 »
I'm personally still in the "I don't give a crap about the battle system" train. I want the story to remain fully untouched. 100% the same as the original. If the battles system is different, I don't care. Plenty of games use the ATB system, it's not something I'll cry about but if the story is changed, if parts are removed/added... then I'm gonna be pissed off.

I just suck at action-oriented gameplay, as it has for one failed to keep my interest for long, and second i suck at it - i had to use cheats at a certain point to get forward in Final Fantasy XII. But in V!!-IV i never had to. The reason was because the turn based battle-system is way easier to survive in. I do agree with Kaldarasha that the game would benefit from a unique system as compared to becoming like everything else on the modern market.

Final Fantasy VII with superior graphics, more story etc - doesn't need a new battle system. On the contrary the new battle system could be the cause of the game bombing ending any chances of part 2 and 3.

Let me return to the style again: DragonBall Z has looked the same since the 80's - they still do have 80's clothing. There is no need for FF7 to not have 90's clothing today so to speak. That is part of the charm.
« Last Edit: 2019-05-13 08:53:48 by mr_nygren »

WatashiWaZero

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2019-05-15 16:27:50 »