Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4901773 times)

Zedes

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.35)
« Reply #2000 on: 2015-08-30 13:12:02 »
Bug report.
I decided to try out Junon leagues with Tifa. During wave 2, I checked standing for the first time, then hit [SWITCH], and the standings screen went away, not nothing came up to replace it. I waited for awhile, and Tifa continued to punch the air but nothing happened. I pressed all the buttons in various orders, and eventually just reset.
Also, I got Kynos to play NT again, he hasn't gotten past the Guard Scorpion yet.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: 2015-08-30 13:17:39 »
Maybe it's a clash; by pressing Switch while the standings screen was up, perhaps it tried to load another window but got jammed. The JL is a bit flimsy script-wise; I'll need to revise it and maybe try a different structure for it.

Also, this is terrible news. Playing it again, you say? Couldn't get past Guard Scorpion? It'll probably turn people in his stream away from the mod :l

Edit: Just watched the segment, it was as awful as I thought it would be.
« Last Edit: 2015-08-30 14:02:11 by Sega Chief »

Zedes

• View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: 2015-08-30 15:46:32 »
In hindsight it was probably not a good idea to get him to play it when he hadn't slept for like 30 hours, but he said he'll give it another try later this week. A lot of people did ask for the mod page, so I linked them this thread.
Also, are there any ribbons in this mod? I haven't found any in the usual places.
EDIT:
New bug report
I got into the elevator battle at the start of the underwater reactor sequence, and the screen stayed black once the battle was initiated. The music was playing, but there was no visual for several minutes, so I reset.
« Last Edit: 2015-08-30 16:48:45 by Zedes »

Gatchaman

• View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: 2015-08-30 18:55:22 »
Oh man yeah, Kynos was dead! He was just attack attack attack on autopilot. Got ejected, hilarious.
People seemed interested though, and we gave a decent explanation of what it was, I think.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: 2015-08-30 19:01:34 »
In hindsight it was probably not a good idea to get him to play it when he hadn't slept for like 30 hours, but he said he'll give it another try later this week. A lot of people did ask for the mod page, so I linked them this thread.
Also, are there any ribbons in this mod? I haven't found any in the usual places.
EDIT:
New bug report
I got into the elevator battle at the start of the underwater reactor sequence, and the screen stayed black once the battle was initiated. The music was playing, but there was no visual for several minutes, so I reset.

The elevator battle? Maybe it's missing? Odd though, if that were missing then people would have encountered it by now. I'll test it out and see if I can spot the problem.

Also yeah, he was pretty frazzled. Can't believe he was considering an FF9 race right after it all. Cheers for explaining/linking the mod to people.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: 2015-08-30 22:12:15 »
Just a heads-up, I got one of the tools I use working again so I'm ready to start a round of patches to refine certain things, fix some additional bugs, and get some balancing done. So I'm inviting people to offer their thoughts and opinions on possible changes to Rank Up, equipment, characters, item drops, etc. I'm also preparing a 7H patch to make sure it's completely up-to-date.

Let me know what you think needs boosted/nerfed or other changes you'd like to see within battles.

selius

• View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: 2015-08-30 22:49:00 »
more rank up choices. (str dex lck for tifa) (dex mag lck for cloud)  maybe some special unlockable one time stat package for each character, but still have it count as 1/8 of the choices.

i get that you're trying to enforce archetypes for all the characters but that's not what i thought the point of it was.

equipment-wise i'd like to see aeris' staves made less sucktastic. 100% hit rate to inflict single target barrier/mbarrier is not op. you also have to pick a very inferior stat package to make the heals worthwhile.

change the 1st or 2nd sense materia you get to something else. i thought it was odd that you get 2 senses like that.  i suggested added cut earlier. deathblow would also work, but may be too strong at that point.

Gatchaman

• View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: 2015-08-30 23:28:44 »
Having two sense materia can be helpful with Tifa in the party, as well as another DEX bump. I can see why you'd want something else, but I wanted to show my appreciation for common sense! :P
I do think, maybe, that 20 DEX on command materia might be a little powerful, but I haven't got far in the game yet to be certain. I think the negative hp on summons is a bit strong a penalty (the only time I've tried it so far got me down to the minimum of 10HP), but again, might be worthwhile if summons are strong enough, and I've not played far enough to be confident in my position.

I agree the staff attacks could be a bit more powerful, but using them to proc 'on hit' effects is cool, so I'd keep it. Maybe make the weapons have a great hit % to make sure nobody evades the help!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: 2015-08-30 23:59:58 »
more rank up choices. (str dex lck for tifa) (dex mag lck for cloud)  maybe some special unlockable one time stat package for each character, but still have it count as 1/8 of the choices.

i get that you're trying to enforce archetypes for all the characters but that's not what i thought the point of it was.

equipment-wise i'd like to see aeris' staves made less sucktastic. 100% hit rate to inflict single target barrier/mbarrier is not op. you also have to pick a very inferior stat package to make the heals worthwhile.

change the 1st or 2nd sense materia you get to something else. i thought it was odd that you get 2 senses like that.  i suggested added cut earlier. deathblow would also work, but may be too strong at that point.

I'll see what I can do for another Rank option; I'll try to cover what's missing from the current ones.

I'm re-working Aeris' weapons just now. I've replaced the Restore HP formula with a magic-based one, and changed several weapons back to Physical damage (I might need to re-do the Rank Up that affects Strength to make it more viable). The problem with the status procs is that they're not 100% by default and I don't seem to have the means to change them (the base accuracy on the weapon doesn't seem to affect it, even at a 255% chance); they'll need to be treated as an extra bonus rather than the main feature of the weapon.

I'll change the 2nd Sense to something else. I don't think it's as useful without the .exe patch; there's quite a few Materia that could go there in it's place that'd be interesting to get early on.

@Gatchaman, a summon or two shouldn't be taking you down to 10HP; are you using the latest version of the .exe patch? I updated them a week or two ago due to a problem with one of them relating to Summon bonuses/penalties.

Gatchaman

• View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: 2015-08-31 00:09:13 »
Re: Summons - yeah, this was a while ago, glad to hear it's fixed!

Zedes

• View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: 2015-08-31 00:52:08 »
I'll be honest in that I'd love an Aerith beatdown build to be viable.
As for balance, I'm having issues with the materia cave bosses and I had to leave and come back to the powersoul keeper and Lambda Calcule bosses until I was much stronger to beat them, but all that is probably due to my own non-optimal playing and building of my characters, I'm having lots of fun regardless.It would be neat if something like underwater materia was specifically a beatdown character stat buffer, something like +10 STR +5 DEX.

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: 2015-08-31 01:45:40 »
So I'm inviting people to offer their thoughts and opinions on possible changes to Rank Up, equipment, characters, item drops, etc. I'm also preparing a 7H patch to make sure it's completely up-to-date.

Let me know what you think needs boosted/nerfed or other changes you'd like to see within battles.

I consider NT's equipment, item, enemy, and materia balance to be pretty amazing, so I won't have much to bring up.

Looking through my notes. In no particular order:

- I'd like Fort Condor to mix it up with rewards like Holy Torches instead of the stream of Remedies (10th, 11th, 12th).
- I miss the Sneak Glove's bonus to a stat (though I guess it makes sense if you got it as early as outside of Kalm).
- Any chance Chocobuckle could be given a little power boost?
- Braver and Big Shot could use a tiny boost in the exe. Low priority, since from a vanilla-NT early-game perspective, the damage is still fairly balanced.
- People in this thread complained about Hell House being too hard to morph. Just thought I should bring this up as a reminder in case it's still an issue.
- Destruct in Shinra Mansion should probably still be changed to something else. I just can't think of what would fit as thematically as Destruct.
« Last Edit: 2015-08-31 02:13:51 by Bowser9 »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: 2015-08-31 02:37:12 »
I'll be honest in that I'd love an Aerith beatdown build to be viable.
As for balance, I'm having issues with the materia cave bosses and I had to leave and come back to the powersoul keeper and Lambda Calcule bosses until I was much stronger to beat them, but all that is probably due to my own non-optimal playing and building of my characters, I'm having lots of fun regardless.It would be neat if something like underwater materia was specifically a beatdown character stat buffer, something like +10 STR +5 DEX.

End-game balance is a tricky one. Unlike story bosses, there's no clear-cut route for what the player should tackle first. This has been a problem since the first build, but I'm not sure how to tackle it just yet. I could give Underwater Materia one of the stronger Bonus/Penalty sets, or make it a custom one for the .exe patch. For a strength-build on Aeris, I'll revise the rank up option for it a bit.

I consider NT's equipment, item, enemy, and materia balance to be pretty amazing, so I won't have much to bring up.

Looking through my notes. In no particular order:

- I'd like Fort Condor to mix it up with rewards like Holy Torches instead of the stream of Remedies (10th, 11th, 12th).
- I miss the Sneak Glove's bonus to a stat (though I guess it makes sense if you got it as early as outside of Kalm).
- Any chance Chocobuckle could be given a little power boost?
- Braver and Big Shot could use a tiny boost in the exe. Low priority, since from a vanilla-NT early-game perspective, the damage is still fairly balanced.
- People in this thread complained about Hell House being too hard to morph. Just thought I should bring this up as a reminder in case it's still an issue.
- Destruct in Shinra Mansion should probably still be changed to something else. I just can't think of what would fit as thematically as Destruct.

The Fort Condor rewards are tricky; I think there's a point where it just refers the same prize over and over after a certain point. I could try and expand the prize script a bit to cover the additional battles.

I'll reinstate bonuses for HypnoCrown & Sneak Glove. I'll review Chocobuckle's base power, but I think it's already a little ahead regular tier 1 spells. It was supposed to be acquired early, around the Ranch or Junon area but I forgot to set the Chocobo levels to account for the change from lv.4 to Lv.5 Suicide. I'll give Lv.1 Limits a little shot in the arm in the .exe too.

Thanks for reminding me; I think it might have been on Arrange, his AI was mishandled so he constantly uses Bad Plumbing. I'd better get that fixed. I'll also reduce the physical defence of his second form, to be on the safe side. It also doesn't have to be Materia that Sephiroth throws in the basement. I'll consider some possibilities.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: 2015-08-31 06:30:05 »
So funny thing, but I may have accidentally used a Reunion .exe as the base for the Steam NT .exe base by mistake. Doesn't seem to have any other impact besides changing some Menu text but I'll be using a default .exe for the next one just in case it causes problems down the road.

rgmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: 2015-08-31 14:53:54 »
Since you are asking for advices, i just got the submarine and i think the bosses until this point need some boosts in their damage capabilities. The last boss that gave me trouble was Bass Dragon. Well, maybe im a hardcore maniac and like to suffer. =) Great mod overall, im just getting to end game, so maybe im gonna get my ass kicked now.

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: 2015-08-31 19:40:31 »
@rpgmarks
In Arrange, especially with the exe, the damage is pretty good. I recommend playing on that mode despite it being unfinished. Vanilla is still balanced towards new players, which is a direction that I whole-heartedly appreciate and support. The boss damage in disc 2 is suitable for someone going through the game at a brisk pace, with the odd rare steal and morph here and there, and not aiming for anything in particular with Rank Up.
« Last Edit: 2015-08-31 19:42:47 by Bowser9 »

rgmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: 2015-08-31 22:04:58 »
Yeah maybe its because im playing the "not arrange" version and without the exe patch, just the limit breaks change patch. But i just got my ass handed to me by the lucretia boss, so maybe now the real challenge begins.

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: 2015-08-31 23:10:47 »
@rgmarks
Yeah, that's a nice bonus boss. Definitely winnable on a first attempt, assuming you buffed your tank in time. You shouldn't have much difficulty winning most of these fights even from this point forward. Most of the bonus bosses are pretty fair.

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: 2015-09-01 00:39:33 »
How is my Kyte boss Someone recently who tried it got wrecked by his base form.  Anyone done the Dark Cave part yet and got a video of it?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: 2015-09-01 02:20:42 »
This guy played through it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHlEsic0RgM

One thing to note is that I made a mistake with the 2nd form's AI so it attacked itself instead of the enemy when berserked; I repaired it shortly after I saw this video.

rgmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: 2015-09-01 03:48:48 »
There is a way to prevent "manipulate"?

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: 2015-09-01 05:02:04 »
@rgmarks
Hmm, Hypnocrown should also prevent manipulate. You could also just love tap whoever was manipulated or cast Resist.

rgmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: 2015-09-01 05:22:16 »
@Bowser9
How do i "love tap" someone? Im not familiar with this term.

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: 2015-09-01 05:44:54 »
@rgmarks
No prob. I meant you should just physically attack the manipulated target. Use someone that deals low damage with their basic attack, like a tank or support.

windmagesoren

• just doing my best
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: 2015-09-01 11:29:23 »
I just downloaded the mod yesterday, and man, this is what I needed to re-experience FF7. It's hard enough that I'm not just blindly mashing buttons, but easy enough that I'm not crying. Not yet, at least.

Couple of things I noticed while playing on Steam on Windows 10, most recent patch and the hotfix:
  • Jessie did this thing where she kind of just... slid up the ladder in the reator, after the second Scorp fight. Right after we fought the scorp, she ran off and I got into a random encounter, and she wasn't doing her climbing animation. Not sure if that's just an error in this port or not.
  • Because of the new models, all of Barret's animations are off. He gestures and throws and hits with his gunarm, and threatens to shoot people with his flesh arm.
Super excited to see what the rest of the game has in store for me. Keep up the good work!