Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII - Omnislash sound fix  (Read 9383 times)

Cert Serth

• View Profile
Final Fantasy VII - Omnislash sound fix
« on: 2017-06-22 16:56:00 »
Hello all!
Since I've not seen this addressed anywhere, I decided to go into Cosmo, rip the broken Omnislash sounds on the PC version and fix them up so they sound as they should in the PS1 version. Now the start-up has the "shine" sound effect and the finishing blow is delivered  after that weird charge up sound effect.

Before I link the download, however, I was hoping to get word from a mod if it's permitted to link to the uploaded audio.dat file that I edited. If it's not allowed to do this, then please delete this post. Thank you. :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII - Omnislash sound fix
« Reply #1 on: 2017-06-22 17:03:01 »
I've already fixed this issue with a total overall of all SFX and the sound engine - which will be released soon. The problem is not the effects, but the hard coding that leads to the effect not being played.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=17591.0  See the database.

Battle tab, entry 51.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-22 17:06:24 by DLPB »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-06-22 17:03:35 »
The best way to share these things is to either release it as a patch or installer that can be applied to an existing audio.dat or to release the sound effect alone and instructions on how to add it to audio.dat. As a general rule, we don't allow full data files to be shared because in addition to your modded data, they include a significant amount of copyrighted data from the original game as released.

It might be a bit overzealous, but given Square Enix's history of shutting down mods and the fact they haven't taken action against this site, it seems to be the right decision.

Cert Serth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-06-22 17:28:32 »
I've already fixed this issue with a total overall of all SFX and the sound engine - which will be released soon. The problem is not the effects, but the hard coding that leads to the effect not being played.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=17591.0  See the database.

Battle tab, entry 51.
Ah, well never mind then. Still, I feel good about actually fixing it myself with my fairly limited knowledge on this sort of thing. Incidentally, I basically added the missing sounds via Audacity. They sync up pretty well with the onscreen visual effects too. But obviously your fix will be better overall.

The best way to share these things is to either release it as a patch or installer that can be applied to an existing audio.dat or to release the sound effect alone and instructions on how to add it to audio.dat. As a general rule, we don't allow full data files to be shared because in addition to your modded data, they include a significant amount of copyrighted data from the original game as released.

It might be a bit overzealous, but given Square Enix's history of shutting down mods and the fact they haven't taken action against this site, it seems to be the right decision.
That's why I felt it prudent to ask first. Sadly, I lack the knowledge to make a patcher. Instead, I'll link the two wave files I compiled to make this instead so others can add both themselves, as you suggested:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/x190efb8d59bn57/568.wav
http://www.mediafire.com/file/568mj151sm413jt/643.wav

They're both named after their respective numbers in the audio.dat file, so replacing them is simple in Cosmo. Thanks again guys.  8)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2017-06-23 01:36:54 »
Oh yeah, it's always important that you get into modding yourself.  It doesn't matter if someone has ended up doing it. That way, you'll always be able to fix any issues you need fixing that aren't done and no-one will do.  8)

We've needed your fix for 10 years.  It's just unlucky you came along when I had finally lost patience.

Cert Serth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2017-06-23 04:04:23 »
Lol yes indeed. While this problem never bothered me too much (FFVIII's Quetzalcoatl using Phoenix's sounds on PC was far worse of an issue, as far as I'm concerned) it's something that I wanted to fix now that I'm live streaming the entire game. The missing sounds kind of ruin the punch of what is meant to be the climax of the game, and being kind of OCD when it comes to streaming, I did want it to be as close to the PS1 as possible.

It's always a plus to finally mess around with Cosmo for the first time as well. It's been around for ages now.  ;D

Oh yeah, and a video of my temporary fix. I guess it's one of the few videos of the PC version with proper Omnislash sounds, if not the only.
https://youtu.be/Olw0h-Rj-ho
« Last Edit: 2017-06-23 04:14:03 by Cert Serth »

[email protected]

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2017-06-24 15:31:27 »
« Last Edit: 2019-05-06 11:40:30 by Cicciolo »

Cert Serth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2017-06-25 21:31:10 »
There are quite a few problems, yes. Though the Omnislash problem was easily fixed and arguably the most egregious, since it's the final attack in the game, so long as you don't let Sephiroth hit your first.  :P

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2017-06-25 22:08:11 »
The Omnislash sound effect is also used in Meteor Rain. Prob many other places.

Cert Serth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2017-06-26 21:42:15 »
Sheesh, here's hoping these things aren't too difficult to fix.

OH MY GOD. Forget the Omnislash, what the hell happened to the snowboarding section? Barely any sound at all.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-29 21:05:48 by Cert Serth »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2017-06-30 13:26:45 »
Need more info than that ;)

But I am pretty sure I'll have fixed that too.

Cert Serth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2017-06-30 21:04:24 »
It might just me, though I've not gotten any sound effects other than balloons, collision and the wind in the snowboard minigame. The most noticeable missing sounds are the jump and landing sounds.
https://youtu.be/69-w3JZ5zlE?t=43s
« Last Edit: 2017-06-30 21:07:28 by Cert Serth »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2017-07-01 02:09:44 »
The jump and landing effect is missing even with my audio module overhaul.  So...  it must not be called in PC.  But fear not, I can add it once more ;)

Are there any others missing?

Cert Serth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2017-07-01 05:06:12 »
Well I'm currently going through the entirety of the game and combing over as much I can. There was something else, I'm sure, though it escapes me right now. I'm sure I'll remember again in time.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-01 07:04:36 by Cert Serth »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2017-07-02 00:33:57 »
The jump and land effect have been re-added to snowboarding. I am also going to go there in the PSX version and test.

Cert Serth

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2017-07-04 19:28:20 »
I swear there're other sounds missing too, some of which may have been missing on the PS1 version too, such as some ladders not having the "grab" sound used. Hopefully I'll find some more stuff soon.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2017-07-04 21:26:55 »
That's a field issue.  There are tons of field issues, many of them fixed and noted in the Bug Database.  What I need to know is non field sound errors especially, as those haven't been touched. The snowboard minigame for example.  So far, 2 sounds have been fixed.

Cert Serth

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2017-07-04 22:49:54 »
Okey dokey, I'll keep my ear to the wall. ;D