Author Topic: looking for source code to read battle models and animations  (Read 2904 times)

picklejar

• View Profile
Anyone know where I can find source code for reading battle models and animations?

The only program I know that can do this is Ifalna by Ficedula, but all the links I've found so far are either broken or only point to a binary.

picklejar

• View Profile
I found Wiki for PSX format, but not PC, and it's very different. The battle models are split into multiple files. For example, for Cloud, the files are named rtaa, rtab, rtac, etc. Apparently the animations are always in xxda (e.g. rtda for Cloud). But it's not clear to me yet how to determine which of the files are vertex data vs. texture data vs. etc.

I guess I could try to re-reverse-engineer it, e.g. by comparing PC vs PSX. But if there's anyone that has info or code or any insight, it would help a lot.

BTW, I have found 3 tools that can read battle model data: Ifalna, Leviathan, and biturn. But I can't find source code for them. Bleh.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
kimera is the only one I know of that can read the PC animations. Source exists for it, but I've never been able to duplicate it.

picklejar

• View Profile
I thought Kimera could not do battle models, only field models?

picklejar

• View Profile
Went back and checked, and sure enough, Kimera is supposed to be able to open battle models and animations. I tried a while back to get Kimera to load battle models, but it just didn't work. But I will try again. (I probably tried to open battle.lgp directly, but I'll try opening an "extracted" file like rtaa.)

picklejar

• View Profile
Thank you NFITC1, Kimera can indeed open battle models and animations, and it can even place the different weapons in the different playable character's hands. AND I have source code for it. So, I'm set. Thanks!