Author Topic: Aaron's mirror and FFSF  (Read 22059 times)

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #25 on: 2002-10-19 00:34:48 »
Yeah, the web archive niggles in it's own code to allow you to surf from page to page within an archived website.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #26 on: 2002-10-19 00:48:11 »
Well it added a blank line between every line of code.  Fixed.

Also rearranged some of the other code, made some grammar corrections, removed the download counters (seeing as that they don't work anymore), and added a news archive page to clean up the main page.  New news format too.

Let me know if you need me to do anything :P

Samuel_Slight

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #27 on: 2002-10-19 07:00:50 »
I have the original untouched download page and have access to every other files from prohosting so you can check how they were. I though it may help you. And maybe you'll want to try the counters with the '.pl' files and the '.cnt' files which contain the counter's value for each download (though they've all been reset). Those '.pl' and '.cnt' files need to have permission set to 'chmod 755'. If perl is supported, it should work, though maybe you'll need to edit the first line of those '.pl' files...

I can start with emailing you the html's and anything related to the counters, and if you need anything else from prohosting (though I can see you have every images and prohosting's downloads) just ask me.

I can also upload the mp3's for my DLS, Joel's mp3s and his updated files, and Jared's sgt's package tomorrow, and Sunday (since my upload speed is so slow), I'll upload v1.36 of the DLS to replace v1.35 (to make it simpler for first time downloaders who won't have to download a patch). I think I'll split it in multiple files with winrar to make sure I won't have to restart...

Then the only files left would be Ficedula's updated configurator, the orchestral DLS, Jared's soundfont with his mp3s, Jari's Timber v1.1.
And for a SFPack link, I think we can use this one: http://www.personalcopy.com/sfpack.htm from Personal Copy or even a direct link if it's possible and personalcopy's webmaster agree.

EDIT: I emailed you the prohosting's files to your hotmail account.

Aaron

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #28 on: 2002-10-19 14:29:29 »
Thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't think this web server does anything but host files (don't think it supports Perl) but I'm not positive.  It's Apple's File Server running on a Mac (Ugh... wasn't my choice).

I'll give it a try though.

[Edit]
Hmm, can't get the counters to work.  Don't think my server supports it, blegh.

Oh well, anyway, the link to download SFPack is up and working now.  Still waiting for any other missing files.

Samuel_Slight

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #29 on: 2002-10-22 09:55:23 »
Aaron: I have uploaded everything I mentioned in my earlier post. They're in the upload directory so you can know exactly what are the files I uploaded, instead of merging them directly into the ffsf folder. I also have edited the download page but haven't been able to upload it cause your computer is off right now. I'll upload it tomorrow as soon as I can.

So the last missing file I can provide, which is in fact an update, is Joel's Revision 2 of the original DLS. He may have to send you the file directly because I can't receive it (it's a little too big for hotmail).

And finally, the main page will need to be updated with news about Joel's updated "improved tracks v2.1" and Joel's new "Revision 2 patch for the original DLS" (he may want to tell you what to mention about that new patch).

Aaron

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #30 on: 2002-10-22 12:17:12 »
Ah, I see 'em, cool.

I'm about to leave for school, but this afternoon, I'll make sure that all of those files make it onto the site and the links are repaired.

Thanks.

Goku7

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #31 on: 2002-10-22 19:56:03 »
*checks the size of the Revision2 update zip file*

Samuel, Aaron, its about 925kb.  I wonder why hotmail doesn't like accepting email's with it attached?

Well, I suppose its decided, then.  I'll be e-mailing it to Aaron shortly.

One more oddity I noticed with the patch.  I tested what happens when you try to patch the DLS file when its marked as "Read-Only".  In the past, I remember it would say that the patch failed.  Well, since I can customize what the error message could say, I included a reminder to tell the user to make sure the DLS file isn't set to "read-only", and wanted to test out how the message looks when that situation is encountered.

Here's the kicker: Even with the read-only attribute enabled, it still successfully patched it.  WTF?!  I don't know if its an isolated incident or not, but I still suggest you make sure the attribute is disabled, even if it does patch it regardless of the setting.

Aaron

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #32 on: 2002-10-22 20:59:19 »
Hmm, so, I got that and I'll upload it when I get home as well.

Err... stay tuned :P

Samuel_Slight

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #33 on: 2002-10-22 23:29:09 »
Aaron: I've just uploaded the updated download page to the upload folder. :wink:

Aaron

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #34 on: 2002-10-22 23:31:12 »
Oook, I'm currently uploading all the files you uploaded to me (gonna upload the new download page after they're done, %$#@ slow upload speed).  I made several changes to the download page myself, I'll look at yours and "merge" the changes as best I can.

[Edit] As far as I can tell, all you did is fix the links?  I did that in the copy I'm about to upload, and I made several other small changes... did you do anything else that I'm missing?

[Edit II] Oh, I just remembered that I have some sample MP3s of Goku7's Improved Tracks patch.  Silly me.  Will upload those when this batch is done.  That 29 meg DLS pack thing is gonna take a while...

Samuel_Slight

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #35 on: 2002-10-23 01:15:43 »
Yeah, I only fixed the links and clean html a little (only internally and nothing big, mostly broken lines like those for the patches and previews which can be easily repaired anyway, so it's not worth the trouble of merging, finally).

Oh, and about Goku7's files, He told me he would like if you can wait for his rev2 patch before releasing his improved tracks v2.1 to release both at the same time. But they can also be released separately if v2.1 is already uploaded.

Goku7

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #36 on: 2002-10-23 01:38:18 »
Oh, and just make sure to mention that the mp3s are using both the Revision2 DLS and the Improved Tracks patch v2.1.

Goku7

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #37 on: 2002-10-23 02:13:11 »
Once again, I'm double-posting 'cause I'm thinking the e-mail notification will alert Aaron to this message faster than editing the last one and hoping he'll look at it again.....

Anyway, on the news page, you did a pretty good job with the announcement.  However, on the part where you said that existing musicsets should still sound right, you ought to change it to "existing musicsets will not have any missing instruments with it," the point being to change "sound right" to "not missing instruments".

Sorry if I'm being too nitpicky, Aaron.  Its just that the way you phrased it would kinda mislead people, since some songs may not "sound right" instrument quality wise.

-edit-
Also, on the download page, I think the description for my section needs to be updated to include information on the new Rev2 DLS.

You know what?  I think I'll work on how that'll be worded.  I don't want to offend you over what you've wrote, it's just that since it's my section, perhaps it would be better if I tried to write it, instead of possibly offending you over little semantic things like what I wrote above.

But, overall, I like the way the news section is layed out.  The new date entry really gives people an idea of how much we've come in the what, two years since the beginning?

Aaron

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #38 on: 2002-10-23 02:29:13 »
K, well, I released the FF8 DLS Rev2 cause I thought I was supposed to but I don't have his improved tracks v2.1 yet.  I'll update the news entry like you ask, and seriously no need to apologize, I was just writing :P

Anyway, you write a new little description for your section of the downloads page and either post it here or e-mail it to me and I'll modify the page.

Btw, I don't have e-mail notifications on Qhimm's on, and even if I did, they would go to my Hotmail and not my school e-mail and therefore not make it to my phone :P   If you want me to know quick, e-mail [email removed] (also can recieve attachments of unlimited size, unlike my Hotmail account).
« Last Edit: 2007-04-15 17:40:13 by Aaron »

Samuel_Slight

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #39 on: 2002-10-23 02:38:11 »
I uploaded the improved tracks v2.1 with the other files, it's called "ff8fixes_original.zip". I can reupload it just in case...

Aaron

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #40 on: 2002-10-23 02:39:40 »
Ah.  I saw that, but the version I have was named the same thing so I thought you had just given me something I already had :P

Will upload right now.

Btw, I fixed the news.

Goku7

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #41 on: 2002-10-23 02:42:41 »
Ah, so the redirector wasn't malfunctioning.  That's good.

And yeah, I tend to keep the name of all the Improved Tracks patch versions the same, even for the zip.  Usually 'cause there's only gonna be one version of it up at a time, and the new one will include all the songs addressed in the old versions in addition to the new fixes.

-edit-
Gee, you don't suppose one of us should start a new thread announcing the release of the DLS update (like the way Samuel announces his release of the next version of his DLS)? :P

Aaron

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #42 on: 2002-10-23 02:46:12 »
Ok, I uploaded version 2.1 of that.  Download page now reflects that.

Anything else for today?

Btw, still looking around changing things here and there on the site, noticed that a Techpaper thing about the FF8 Configurator says it'll be updated when FF8 Configurator version 2 is released and... what do you know, it's been out for quite a while :P  Dunno if we wanna do anything about that.

Samuel_Slight

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #43 on: 2002-10-23 02:52:05 »
BTW, me and Goku7 aren't the same person. I just had that impression from some of your latest posts below. Maybe you didn't checked our username from our posts... anyway I was just wondering.  Just to prevent misunderstanding in the future (everything went perfect as of now). :wink:

Goku7

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #44 on: 2002-10-23 02:56:26 »
Uh, actually, perhaps there is another thing you can change......

In parenthises (sp?) next to the Improved Tracks v2.1 entry on the download page, it says "Revision2 DLS", then under the FF9 mod, the one for the Original DLS says "Original DLS.

Well, from looking at that, it appears that the Rev2 DLS is required for the Improved Tracks patch when, in fact, it's not.  Perhaps it should read, "Revision2 DLS recommended"?

Samuel_Slight

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #45 on: 2002-10-23 03:00:20 »
Or (Original DLS / Rev. 2) for the tracks and the mod ... what you prefer

Goku7

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #46 on: 2002-10-23 03:02:32 »
*Gets his foot out of his mouth*

Yes, I do believe that'll work.  How did I miss that?!

(WAIT, DON'T ANSWER THAT!) :roll:

Aaron

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #47 on: 2002-10-23 03:18:46 »
I never thought you were the same person :P Sorry if it looks like I did.

Anyway, I'll change that too... right now, wee.

[Edit] Done!

Aaron

• View Profile
Aaron's mirror and FFSF
« Reply #48 on: 2002-10-28 18:57:30 »
I got Jared's FF8 soundfont back from someone via e-mail, uploading now (done in an hour... stupid slow upload).

Just thought someone might be interested in knowing this.