Author Topic: OpenGL with Final Fantasy VII  (Read 12113 times)

CloudStrife

• View Profile
    • http://ffpatch.no-ip.org
OpenGL with Final Fantasy VII
« on: 2002-10-24 21:59:23 »
For use Final Fantasy VII with OpenGL:
Go to Registre Editor (regedit.exe)
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\Graphics
And use value 2 for Driver

I have test (Final Fantasy VII French with nVIDIA Patch (1.02) and my WinXP  Patch) but my Voodoo 2 in Windows XP don't work correctly in OpenGL.

Sorry for my bad english

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2002-10-24 22:59:09 »
is this 100% concrete,
i tried this before ages ago, when i couldnt get D3d to work properly and i didnt notice anything

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2002-10-25 21:58:06 »
Hey, Fice should get a kick out of this! :P

Considering how the Remake engine uses OpenGL, seeing how the Original FF7 engine runs with that API may help him with coding the remake engine

Waitaminute.  He's coding the remake engine from the groung up, so it may not help him......

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2002-10-26 06:13:21 »
Interesting..

I tried it on my 7200 Radeon and I didn't get any good results. All I got was a 640x480 window, and the textures and text windows were all displayed incorrectly.

But why didn't they allow this option to be in the ff7 configurator? The key "driverpath" arouses me to think that ff7 could have capabilities to use card-specific GL drivers...

Any thoughts on this?

CloudStrife

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2002-10-26 11:04:29 »
I think that it isn't integre because it don't work correctly ;)

I have test on my ATI 3D Rage (with Windows XP on my Athlon XP1800+), i work correctly but it's very slow (but 3D Rage Pro are very slow in OpenGL in all games ;)
I have test on Intel i740 (with Windows 98 on K6-2 400MHz), i don't work !!!

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #5 on: 2002-10-26 18:01:17 »
Might make sense, I don't know if those Intel 7xx video cards are compatible with OpenGL at all...

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2002-10-26 18:40:44 »
Yes ... I do own an i740 card in the past and it  *should* be compatible with OpenGL.... just that it's pretty slow.....  :-?

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2002-10-26 20:43:02 »
Hmmm....considering that 3Dfx was the reigning champ at the time, I wonder if the mode will work better on my 3Dfx card.

Looks like I'm one of the few in a position to try doing accurate testing of it. :P

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2002-10-26 22:21:01 »
AFAIK D3D worked well with 3dfx..... no probs with any FF games using Voodoos  :)

I personally do not feel that 3dfx is that good with OpenGL, they're rather much better with Glide...

CloudStrife

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2002-10-27 07:22:02 »
Yes ! Final Fantasy VII and VIII work with 3dfx card in Direct3D, but i use Windows XP with Voodoo 2 and driver don't work corectly in D3D (D3D work with Final Fantasy and Simcity but no Star War Pod Racer and Warcraft 3 for exemple) and in OpenGL (Quake 3 work but no FF7 and Baldur's Gate II).
Only Glide work correctly.

Sorry for my bad english.

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2002-10-27 08:34:18 »
I'll TRY to test my 3dfx banshee's capabilities with ff7's OpenGL "feature", but don't expect to hear from me about it until I stop being a lazy jerk and actually try. Can someone motivate me?

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2002-10-27 23:33:33 »
Whoa, hold up.

I tested it on my 3Dfx Voodoo3, and the results are, to say the least, strange.  Please note that this is running in Win98SE, and NOT WinXP.

First, after trying to run it more than twice in a row using D3D hardware acceleration (appearantly FF7 REALLY doesn't like this current driver set, the movies keep not displaying, and the game just freezes to where I have to do a hard reboot), I decided to run it in software mode, to get a reference point (because I theorized that if I compared OpenGL mode to running in D3D there'd probably be no difference graphically, and no indication that my card was using OpenGL...), due to the fact that I can tell its software by the lack of Bilinear filtering on the primitives.

Well, I run in software mode, then attempt the registry tweak.  Now, at this point, I MUST state that I'm attempting this using the 1.00 version of both the FF7 exe file and the config file, since I've no need for nVidia "patching" for my game to work.  After launching it, I get no difference in graphics, as far as I can tell, it is still running in software mode, i.e. no bilinear filtering is happening.

Therefore, it is my conclusion that this registry tweak does not have an effect on the v1.00 flavor of FF7.  Furthermore, I have also wondered that since it has no effect on v1.00 and that any higher versions have that "nVidia Mode", could this tweak be simiply a manual access of that "nVidia Mode" checkbox in the config?

Think about it.....nVidia cards work best in OpenGL.  The "nVidia mode" could simply be skirting the original version's graphical incompatibility by running in OpenGL in the first place, where the game might not need the 8-bit palettized Textures to work in 3D accelerated mode.

Yes.....these are strange musings indeed, coming from me......

CloudStrife

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2002-10-28 10:54:41 »
I have test with Final Fantasy VII 1.00 French and OpenGL don't work (Software Mode).
I have search with hexa decimal editor OPENGL32.DLL and i am not food this
I have test with FF7 1.02 French with nVidia Riva TNT patch activate, i don't star the game

Sorry for my bad English.

CloudStrife

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2002-10-29 14:32:34 »
I have an idea to use ATI Truform into FF7.
In modify the OpenGL instruction into FF7.EXE !

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2002-10-29 16:56:35 »
little chance of that
has trueform (n patches) requires the use of specific code to enable the card to add extra traingles at specific points.
bla bla bla