Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1079485 times)

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Re: [REL/FF7] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod. v1.0.6 FF7 PC
« Reply #1425 on: 2012-08-27 05:28:08 »
Hmmm, did you patch all the files? Seph's AI is in kernel.bin.
I'll try to check it out later today if there are any screwups from my side.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1426 on: 2012-08-27 09:15:35 »
with a standard install of bootleg, Seph is not controlable
well not that it matters much

ManuBBXX

• View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: 2012-08-27 23:35:02 »
Great mod this Hardcore, but... not too hard ?
I'm at the second boss, the 'air-breaker', I'm something around 470 hp max with Clad / tifa / barret, but he hits me at 300 +, and it's so HARD to stay alive..
Did you succeed ?
Need farming xp same at the beginning ?

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1428 on: 2012-08-27 23:40:03 »
I played through this mod at ease once or twice. Could be that I stopped the second playthrough somewhere on CD3 because i just couldn't be assed to farm materia anymore.
If you grind even a little, it's not that hard.
you don't speedrun hardcore mods. you just dont.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1429 on: 2012-08-28 00:30:43 »
Great mod this Hardcore, but... not too hard ?
I'm at the second boss, the 'air-breaker', I'm something around 470 hp max with Clad / tifa / barret, but he hits me at 300 +, and it's so HARD to stay alive..
Did you succeed ?
Need farming xp same at the beginning ?

Keep curing 'til it has used up those bombs ("operation 2" or something like that), and try to use the defend command at full hp. Attack it with limits from behind. Make sure you only hit it from behind, as it does plenty damage (sometimes it's facing direction may fool you). Lightning also works.

ManuBBXX

• View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: 2012-08-28 11:14:16 »
off I see. I didn't had the good strat. Thanks. It's good to have challenge cause the normal mode is very too easy

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1431 on: 2012-08-28 11:37:45 »
btw Gjo, after messing with the enemy and then looking at the AI, I think a specific enemy you added might be permanently invulnerable
that thing is called Qwim and its setting physical/magical immunity flags in the AI frequently. when I checked and looked for when it de-sets the flags, I still dealt 0 damage with absolutely everything, even attacks that ignore defense and status defense on top.

The enemy in question is called Qwim, formation info 01EF, present in scenes  54, 55

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1432 on: 2012-08-28 18:25:26 »
Whenever it's "taking a break" its protection is on. It is beatable, I just defeated it. Try to attack it after it attacks you.

Saintyweb

• View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: 2012-08-28 19:57:16 »
Oh, hello there qjoerulv!
Im currently downloading a bootleg0039 and curious about the version of your mod, used in that modding programm (it sounds like it's 1.0.5 currently, or maybe i take it wrong somehow), so i wonder about the way i can replace 1.0.5 to 1.0.6, which you done already, if possible, can you help with an advice, please?
And big thanks for all the work you done with that modding stuff and for opportunity to freshen the most loved game of my childhood, really cool! :-)
GL!

Upd: Also, would it be playable (it terms of beating game fully) when mixed with "difficulty items" mod?
« Last Edit: 2012-08-28 20:03:36 by Saintyweb »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1434 on: 2012-08-29 13:29:46 »
I think bootleg uses 1.0.5, but I'm not sure. I don't use it. For update to newest you could dl the patch from this thread and update scene.bin (and kernel2 if you wish). I'm not sure how bootleg does things however.

What do you mean by mixing with "difficult items"? Mixing the files (ie, my scene and DI kernel)?  Simply mixing files are possible if you make sure you update the lookuptable in kernel.bin. Else the encounters will be messed up. The easiest way of doing this is to 1st mix the files then open scene.bin with Proud Clod (see "tools" section in the forum). In PC after scene is open go file -> create scene. Then select yes when asked to update kernel.

Saintyweb

• View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: 2012-09-05 09:19:42 »
For previous thanks, i patch game to 1.6 normally :-)
And one more question, where can i get info about all overpowered custom monsters (not bosses), like HELLRIDER VR2 (which lurks around junon and has pretty much hp for the moment)? I just want to fight them all at first chance to meet them.
Or do you remember their "game names", then i just look by myself via hojo 1.1 programm. (but it would be gooder to just know their locations, not the characteristics, so ^^).

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1436 on: 2012-09-05 19:51:55 »
hmm, so far theres one at the kalm beach
one at the condor mountain
one at nibelheim area
at rocket town area
and nibelheim area
havent checked further than that but theres prolly more
just fight a couple of fights everywhere you go in every type of location and you'll find them

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1437 on: 2012-09-06 05:59:19 »
The Golem outside cosmo canyon has been beefed up. Also the Adamantaimaitaitai on the beaches of wutai.
Don't forget the Dragon on mt.nibel. The Dragon is not beatable the 1st time around. Run like hell.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1438 on: 2012-09-06 06:53:17 »
I didn't notice the golem being more meaty
How much did you pep it?
And the adamantaimai is pretty useless since you can manipulate it
Maybe add a different adamantaimai to the land encs?

Saintyweb

• View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: 2012-09-06 07:10:19 »
Got it, gonna check those spots.
Thanks, guys!)

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1440 on: 2012-09-08 03:03:21 »
I didn't notice the golem being more meaty
How much did you pep it?
And the adamantaimai is pretty useless since you can manipulate it
Maybe add a different adamantaimai to the land encs?

Golem may be beatable 1st time, but not likely. Maybe before 2nd disc.

That turtle gives you death force thus manipulatable.

I may want to make a workaround to not make the adamantaimaimaimaimai such a grindfest though.

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
« Reply #1441 on: 2012-09-08 03:53:01 »
how did you make your installer? inno nsis?

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1442 on: 2012-09-08 04:00:57 »
Visual Studio C#. Pretty easy actually, but some work involved.

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
« Reply #1443 on: 2012-09-08 04:02:59 »
thank you. ill have to try and learn alot faster than i am

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1444 on: 2012-09-08 04:09:07 »
If you find a decompiler for C# you should be able to see the source.
Edit: there should be a C# online decompiler even.

xenotrunksx

« Reply #1445 on: 2012-09-15 04:58:41 »
Let me start by first saying thank you for all the time and effort you have given to allow me a chance to relive a game I had cherished in my youth.  I have spent the last few weeks bashing my head against the wall of your hardcore mod.  A few challenges still remain to be conquered, I have yet to kill Emerald Weapon, Ruby Weapon, Sephiroth, and the strange red cat that guards KOTR.  Here are my thoughts thus far;

The very first boss encounter remains memorable, a very hard hitter, being wiped out repeatedly on the first boss definitely set a new mood to the game.  After a little leveling I noticed the 2nd level lightning items the enemies would drop which made the first and the second boss much more doable.  It seems to be a prevalent theme in the game - items or materia nearby are often key to overcoming some of the more difficult challenges.

After the Air Buster boss I didn't find the rest of Midgar very difficult with two exceptions; the trio of named SOLDIER enemies in the chest (they killed me many times, I think I finally beat them by using status effect items on them) and the random encounters on hojo's 2nd floor lab (they seemed ALOT harder then the other floors of Shinra).  The trip from Kalm to Junon was reasonably difficult though nothing stands out in my mind as truely challenging, unless you count the Zolom which crushed my face just like a 40 foot serpent should - but I think you made him basically unbeatable at this point in the game.  I came back 3 more times trying to kill the Zolom and learn Beta the first was after the boat ride, the second was after getting the buggy, and finally after Cosmo Canyon I finally emerged from the swamp victorious.

The next fight that REALLY felt tough was Dane in the prison, apparently Barret would rather die dozens of times than let Cloud and the others help - to my endless frustration.  It was finally a combination of poison elemental on my weapon, limit breaks, and just plain luck when he starts attacking twice in a row.  All smooth sailing all the way up to the cave of the GI, which was one of my favorite areas the difficulty of the random encounters here was perfect, deaths were my own doing when forgetting to heal after a battle.

After Cosmo Canyon I powerleveled a little in the Shinra mansion (perfect place the axe guys are weak to gravity and a single summon can kill all other encounters) with the goal of getting Vincent.  Eight levels later and the Missing Number in the safe was still picking his teeth with my bones so I gave up, easily beat the materia keeper and plowed through Rocket Town.  Wutai was great, heading there right after Rocket Town is a good challenge though I have to admit walking there with no materia is not fun AT ALL, LOL.  Once there the encounters were good but the boss wasn't as difficult as I expected.  After Wutai I was finally strong enough to get Vincent.  I also got Kujata before the Temple of the Ancients which I think my earlier powerleveling helped me survive.

Disc 2 started out pretty fast, Beta wiped the floor with everything in the Glacier and still was a force to be reckoned with in the Whirlwind maze.  I hate the wind barriers it takes me about 20 attempts to successfully pass through the 2nd and 3rd barriers, maybe I just suck  :|

Jenova-DEATH was a huge challenge not much I can say, she hits like a truck, fire elemental doesn't help, and I can't guard everyone from death, you just gotta hammer her down and heal through her punishment, I had Tifa spamming Deathblow and Cloud casting when he could.

I immediately went to chocobo breeding after getting Cloud back and tried my luck at the Quadra-magic cave.  The boss was a beast the first few times a tried to down him, but soon his spell mechanics became apparent and I discovered the damage gravity could do to him and, after adding 1-2 different elemental absorbs to each character, crushed him.  Feeling slightly ahead of the curve with my new Quadra-magic I went back to the story.

The Shinra guards at the underwater reactor impressed me, I like the way they use the grenades for massive damage but are glass cannons almost as they die easily, the last two in the L shaped hall are particularly tough and killed my party the first time as I wasn't really expecting them to do so much damage so quickly.  Carry Armor boss was hard but it didn't feel unfairly hard since I had Quadra-Magic and Lightning :) .

Midgar was the hardest part of disc 2 by far - powerful random encounters, the SOLDIER trio, and Hojo.

Now on disc 3 I went to battle square for omnislash and 2xsummon.  Smoke bombs work great to get out of the last battle and keep the points.  Next was Ultima weapon, not so hard by disc 3.  Back to battle square for the special battle.  I really hated the Blaster attacks the cats did and the oar move the ghost ships use to throw you out of the battle the Blaster attack misses often enough but the oar move always seems to hit :( .  Ultima Weapon and 4xcut makes the special battle very manageable.

The Mime cave was a bit tricky but I read here about their % based attacks, with wind resist and saving the double summons and omnislash for the final 4 i managed to kill them.  HP-MP cave boss was probably the easiest of the 4 caves - Poison Resist and Gravity kills him.

The KOTR cave is still giving me trouble, I thought I had a good strategy with Double Summon Hades then Bahamut Zero then Mime until death.  It seemed to work well enough, Hades poisioned/silenced/frog/sleep on him every turn and B. Zero did about 25K dmg per turn.  Ran through this cycle for about 15 turns, problem is he continues to cast his spells even with status effects so his regen keeps popping up.  I can't tell if my Hades summon cancels out his regen since he flashed green from the poison.  I got him down to where he says "death is not the end" and gains 30K.  Kept killing him -- again he says "death is not the end" and comes back.  Eventually he gets enough spells off in 1 turn to kill me.

Anyway great job I really enjoyed the mod.

One side note battle square handicaps might be broken if the wheel lands on independent materia my hp pluses still work same goes for it landing on the command materia my 4x cut will still work.  The Red, Green, and All-Color Materia seem to work, not sure about the blue.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1446 on: 2012-09-15 10:00:27 »
I noticed the battle square materia problem as well but figured it was an issue with my modified kernel
apparently it isn't. that's interesting actually.

feldkhon

« Reply #1447 on: 2012-09-16 22:50:03 »
Hello!

I registered in Qhimm only to congratulate and thank Gjoerulv for creating this mod.
I didn't think that FF7 could be a challenge and a surprise for me anymore. Well, I've been proven wrong!  :D

I just want to point out a strange little glitch with the Enemy Skill Materia. I learned "Roulette" from the monster in the lab (Morte, I think). Later I learned "Matra Magic" and after the battle no Enemy Skill was shown in the menu. So I entered a fight again, learned Matra Magic again (with its "learnin" animation and message) and after that I had "Matra Magic" in my list, but not "Roulette".
It's not a big deal, but I thought I should mention it.

ManuBBXX

• View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: 2012-09-21 23:27:16 »
Gjoerulv, in your first post, yo usay : 'This mod also add some new enemies and bosses to the game. Basically at every summon materia there is a new boss.'
You mean, at each found of a new summon materia( red so ? ), a new boss will pop-up ?
Cause I haven't encountered it at the 4th summon materia found. Nevertheless, I'm sure cause the better difficulty that the hardcore mod works for me. But not the new bosses..
« Last Edit: 2012-09-21 23:46:33 by ManuBBXX »

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1449 on: 2012-09-22 01:42:37 »
there is no boss at Ramuh because you're there with Cloud solo
It's also a non-battle occurring area and the mod was done before we could add music to fields