Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3007671 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98-Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R03b)
« Reply #1425 on: 2015-05-23 21:56:33 »
Nah, the whole caps thing looks silly and was only there originally because the Japanese font didn't have lower case letters. We don't use caps for the name of an organization, unless it it an acronym. And even then, SOLDIER is a crap name.  I came up with one last night...

Shin-Ra's Orderly Legion of Deadly Irradiated Elite Reinforcements.  ;D
« Last Edit: 2015-05-23 22:02:35 by DLPB »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: 2015-05-23 22:14:24 »
Navy SEALs are capitalized

Sea Air Land

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: 2015-05-23 22:21:36 »
Nah, the whole caps thing looks silly and was only there originally because the Japanese font didn't have lower case letters.
Er... nope? Isn't it like this in the original script?
ソルジャー
Sorujiaa (I think)
They didn't need either caps or roman alphabet for that, they just used katakana.
What do you mean by that? I don't understand you. Maybe you are wrong?

As far as I know it's common to use caps when in the japanese text an english word/term is used in katakana when instead of simply using an existing equivalent kanji.
That's not to be confused with names or words without equivalent japanese kanji. I just don't know why that rule applies, though.

I came up with one last night...

Shin-Ra's Orderly Legion of Deadly Irradiated Elite Reinforcements.  ;D
That's hilarious AND accurate, lol.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: 2015-05-23 22:36:28 »
They didn't use Kana for EX-SOLDIER... so maybe that's where it came from.  Or, it could be the localizer, Baskett, used it to differentiate between normal soldiers.  But, if he did, it was a silly choice because that's not good English, unless it is an acronym. It stands out liek a sore thumb.  And it's even worse with AVALANCHE.

I got confused with the dialogue usage, that is indeed in kana.  It's up to the localizer how he renders it, but caps is not good English and we already know from Honeywood that Baskett had 0 contact with the writers.  In other words, all of his choices were blind. But Baskett's choices have largely become the norm...  if he had the time and communication, chances are he would have created a proper sounding organization.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-24 00:10:32 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: 2015-05-24 00:11:50 »
My Avalanche one was better anyway...

A Vengeful Army of Lousy Amateurs Now Changing History for Everyone.
or so on! 

;D

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: 2015-05-24 00:13:57 »
They didn't use Kana for Ex-SOLDIER... so maybe that's where it came from.
Actually it's shown as this: 元ソルジャー.
It was probably the translator following that strange japanese rule I just mentioned in the previous post.

My Avalanche one was better anyway...

A Vengeful Army of Lousy Amateurs Now Changing History for Everyone.
or so on! 

;D
Lol, I've never been as good as you making up these kind of things.

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: 2015-05-24 01:06:54 »
I forgot to look in the book Ragna posted, I have a copy at home. I stupidly haven't used it as a character reference before because Ultimania is generally pretty exhaustive but it does say that Barett (originally Blow) derives from bullet, although it spells bullet out in English so it's not like his name is a misspell. Ultimania changes the spelling to Barret, who knows why, maybe to conform to the English localization. It also mentions the Aerith -> Earth thing, and amusingly that Yuffie means nothing, they just liked the sound.

As for Meteor, I think the only reason Aerith even needs to give a description is in case a (Japanese) player is unfamiliar with the term, she's literally defining the word "meteor". The whole line is pointless in English.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: 2015-05-24 02:27:26 »
We've had a discussion since that post above and it's been decided that the exposition is necessary in order to inform the player that Meteor doesn't just pop out of nowhere. We're still debating this.  I'd be quite happy to use 'rock' or 'object', since Luksy has reservations that 'asteroid' gives Aerith more knowledge about space than she should have (I think the idea being that Aerith knows about Meteor from Ancient knowledge passed down the generations).  The stupid Japanese text, including Ultimania, uses 'star/planet', even though this is completely inaccurate, especially in English.  It's one of these cases where the original writers likely had limited knowledge about the science of space and just popped any old nonsense there.  The general idea is that a rock is diverted out of its normal path and into a collision course.  Imho, as long as that gets across to the player in some way, it's cool.  This would work if you aren't bothered about Aerith knowing too much:

{AERIS}
“The Ultimate Destructive
  Magic,Meteor.”{NEW}
“It pulls an asteroid
  out of its orbit and
  onto a collision course…”
------------------------------
{AERIS}
“The planet could be
  wiped out entirely.”

And this if you are:

{AERIS}
  Magic,Meteor.”{NEW}
“It pulls a large object
{AERIS}
“The planet could be
  wiped out entirely.”

I think the latter is as good as it is gonna get.

Also, Green_Goblin et al, the Corel Bridge scene has been changed. I'm also adding love points to the scene, as I think they were erroneously left out.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-24 03:59:56 by DLPB »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: 2015-05-24 03:02:47 »
I honestly think "It summons a large rock drifting in space" is the best.   The wording seems perfect for the type of vocabulary used in the game.  Maybe Bugenhagen would refer to it as an asteroid, but I doubt anyone else would.  I was only asking about the name asteroid when they are directly calling it Meteor.

But that could just be its name.  Like Subway's "5 dollar footlong" not actually being 12 inches.  It's just the name of it, not a description of it. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/19/subway-response-footlong-controversy-measurment_n_2511316.html

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: 2015-05-24 03:10:01 »
The two things that force our hand are:

1. The word is written from English (by kana)
2.  This is a major part of FF7 that has been accepted across the board.  Changing it would be even greater than changing a main character name and more confusing. I am thinking, even if this were wrong, the backlash would be immense for something that doesn't really NEED to be changed.  Not only is it accurate to what the writers wanted, but most people accept its name. It works quite well.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-24 03:13:10 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: 2015-05-24 03:20:02 »
I've had to remove Corel Bridge until I am sure it's localized properly.  Will re-up later. If anyone has any scenes that will benefit from a Before and After, let me know.

Edit

OK Green_Goblin et al, here it is finalized:

Mt Corel,West
{YUFFIE}
“It's so freaky!!
  Watch this!”
#xy 168 144
{BARRET}
“I'm back…”
{TIFA}
“Wow,that's some view.
  Almost becomes part of you.”
{CLOUD}
“Hm…
  I know what you're thinking.”
#xy 176 80
{CLOUD}
“Scared?”
{TIFA}
“Yeah,a little.”
#cyo 40 0 1
{CHOICE}Don't worry,I'd catch you
{CHOICE}You never know,
{CHOICE} you might survive
{TIFA}
“Oh,you'd say
  that to anyone!”
{TIFA}
“{CLOUD}!!”
{AERIS}
“{CLOUD}…”
#xy 104 72
{AERIS}
“Yeah…”
#cyo 40 0 1
{CHOICE}Don't worry,I'd catch you
{CHOICE}Worry about being with me,
{CHOICE} that's far more dangerous
{AERIS}
“Oh,{CLOUD},
  you're so reliable!”
#xy 72 136
{AERIS}
“Hmm…
  I think you might be right.”
{RED XIII}
“Humans are strange creatures.”
« Last Edit: 2015-05-24 04:44:01 by DLPB »

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: 2015-05-24 04:59:07 »
  Magic,Meteor.”{NEW}
“It pulls a large object

This really sounds off and not natural.

- Why a "collision course" ? The effect of the magic is that it will make the meteor get closer, it will bring it (fetch it?). If the meteor collides into something, that is a side effect.
- "A large object" sounds like the magic will bring a random object. It's the word "object" that makes that impression though.
And why call it an object ? We already know that the magic is called Meteor, and they surely know what a meteor is. Aerith could even repeat the word meteor. Or say "rock" if a more simple word came out of her mouth.
- And I think the whole approach of the explanation is off, the angle taken to explain what the magic does. It's like explaining what rain is by saying 'Drops of water following a sky/earth line' instead of 'Drops of water falling from the sky'. Hard to explain. Too much 'metrical', astrophysical, I don't know how to say.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: 2015-05-24 05:21:52 »
Rock may work (as I had earlier).  Saying Meteor summons a meteor would definitely not.  Object is from celestial object, but I'm going back to rock anyway.

Collision course is a perfectly valid term, though, and is used in science and otherwise to denote any large rock that is "on course" to "collide" with the planet.  Type it into Google, and see.  Tbh, I think this entire scene is being over-thought.  What I had originally worked, apart from using "Small".
« Last Edit: 2015-05-24 05:23:29 by DLPB »

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: 2015-05-24 05:31:07 »
What I had originally worked, apart from using "Small".

Agreed.

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: 2015-05-24 05:39:32 »
I sympathise with White Wind's critic to using the word "object" as it does feel off but this is a moot point since the decision is to use "rock".

In the end this is what works best

{AERIS}
  Magic,Meteor.”{NEW}
“It pulls an asteroid
  out of its orbit and
{AERIS}
“The planet could be
  wiped out entirely.”

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: 2015-05-24 05:44:08 »
Sadly can't really use it, since Aerith is talking too advanced.  But even if not,  the Japanese says the rock is "summoned", so I'll be bringing that back.

“It summons a large rock
  drifting in space and sets
  it on a collision course…”

That will work.  Luksy has reservations about using the word "Summons" here, since the word exists for in-game battles and so on.  But I don't think it's a problem.  Calls / Summons is just semantics and the context here is obvious.  Although, "Calls on" could work.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-24 05:48:13 by DLPB »

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: 2015-05-24 06:04:49 »
“It summons a large rock
  drifting in space and sets
  it on a collision course…”

Sounds good.

And Meteor is magic and is cast through the use of a materia, just like a summon magic in battles.. Summon seems good to me. But yeah, the summoning doesn't open a dimensional portal in this case but brings something from a distant place.

Ver Greeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: 2015-05-24 08:43:06 »
If "a small celestial body"* is too fancy/generic/flowery for her to say, I think "large rock"/"huge rock" at least approximates her meaning better than "small rock" :)

* I kind of like 'body' over 'object' because it sounds a little less abstract, though not by much, and also because it sounds like something that could be alive - like the Planet itself in FF7. And Meteor certainly looks alive and like it's trying to heal itself in the final cutscene.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-24 08:54:21 by Ver Greeneyes »

Green_goblin

• View Profile
    • Parasite Eve Translation Project
« Reply #1443 on: 2015-05-24 09:33:28 »
Regarding the Corel Bridge scene, I don't know how to enable the deleted scenes in the PSX, maybe it's not possible at all.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: 2015-05-24 10:29:32 »
Regarding the Corel Bridge scene, I don't know how to enable the deleted scenes in the PSX, maybe it's not possible at all.

It should be...  you can try copying our field file. into makou?  Does it allow it to be converted to PSX files?

Green_goblin

• View Profile
    • Parasite Eve Translation Project
« Reply #1445 on: 2015-05-24 10:32:42 »
It should be...  you can try copying our field file. into makou?  Does it allow it to be converted to PSX files?

Yes, that is possible. But now I'm thinking, if the original game does not have those scenes activated... maybe it's better to leave the game as it is. I don't know if I want to activate them, but just in case can you write a list of the deleted scenes?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: 2015-05-24 10:35:20 »
Yes, that is possible. But now I'm thinking, if the original game does not have those scenes activated... maybe it's better to leave the game as it is. I don't know if I want to activate them, but just in case can you write a list of the deleted scenes?

There are only 2 scenes that are accidentally missing:  The bridge scene and a scene in Gongaga.  The Gongaga scene is easiest to reinstate since it's just a change to a var in the church map of District 5.  I'll list the changes here later.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-24 10:51:39 by DLPB »

hammer55

• View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: 2015-05-24 18:26:35 »
Hi guys,

First time poster, first time play through of FF7. I always wanted to play through it, and I finally purchased the game on Steam because of this mod. Love the work on it, well done developers

Running Windows 8.1 64 bit
Steam Edition
Initially installed an Xbox 360 Controller mod, but uninstalled it later just in case.

My problem is I know some of the mods won't install. For my first play though, I'm trying to install Beacause, 60 FPS Battles, most Battle animations, Save Anywhere and Default Run. The Save Anywhere and Default Run are confirmed not to be installing, and I'm pretty sure the faster battle animations aren't installing either.

I'm unsure of the 60 FPS Battle and the translation, because I've never played through it.

I have tried reinstalling over, uninstalling and then reinstalling (not forgetting to delete the backup folder from the directory and then the Recycle Bin).

Finally I tried installing the model overhauls and they installed fine. They uninstalled fine as well. So I know some mods are able to be installed/uninstalled but not others. Any suggestions for troubleshooting the Save Anywhere, Default Run and Battle Animations? And any way I can verify whether the Beacause has been installed?

Thanks very much

EDIT: I am also running the install as Admin. It won't run otherwise. Windows Defender is also deactivated. Aerith just joined my party in and it's now saying "The person in there is ill" not "The guy is sick" - so I think the translation is working now? But still no Save Anywhere or Default Run
« Last Edit: 2015-05-24 18:49:51 by hammer55 »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: 2015-05-24 20:06:03 »
I agree with the original wording but replacing small with large.

Caledor

• [ITA]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #1449 on: 2015-05-24 21:48:21 »
Pollensalta: what about Pouransarita? Sarita as princess in hebrew and Pouran as successor in persian.

http://www.ourbabynamer.com/meaning-of-Pouran.html