Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1079335 times)

Auraplatonic

• View Profile
gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod
« Reply #325 on: 2008-11-26 01:52:45 »
The only actual bug on this mod that I know of is on the beach by Kalm, sometimes it crashes when you get in a battle.  But gjoerulv already knows about that.  As for the bug that was just stated in that recent long post, it seems to be maybe its a bad install.  A fresh one might do the trick.

Synthesist

« Reply #326 on: 2008-11-27 01:09:44 »
Really? Then it's fully playable,thanks mate :-)
It's Hardcore time in Athens then! :evil:

Tyler_Wu

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: 2008-11-27 18:13:01 »
Yea i've played up to sephiroth in the northern cave and didnt get any crashes that were permanent.  there were a couple crashes or freezes BUT after i reloaded the game and got to that same point again it didnt screw up that 2nd time through

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: 2008-12-02 09:32:01 »
I've been looking through the different encounters with Scenester after applying this mod and I found one encounter against six Adamantaimai enemies.  Can the game even do that?  I was wondering if it had anything to do with the crash on the beach near Kalm...?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: 2008-12-03 16:11:56 »
Which encounter was that?

EDIT: nvm. (scene 7, for anyone who's interested)

In any case, I don't see any reason why the game couldn't do that; I think that one can have any combination of up to six enemies from the relevant scene file in a fight. Of course, if there were a mistake in setting up the fight, the game would crash.

EDIT: gjoerulv has changed very little in that file, and it has nothing to do with the Kalm beach region either, so the crash there must be down to something else.
« Last Edit: 2008-12-03 18:13:18 by Leighos Kudistos Megistos »

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: 2008-12-04 10:34:59 »
Sorry for the lack of detail.  Yeah, Scene 7, Encounter 27, 3 Adamantaimai enemies in the front row and 3 Adamantaimai enemies in the back row.  And the only other enemy in that Scene is a Test Pyramid (again, this is for those who are interested.  If you ever want to fight them, chuck a "27" into the encounter IDs of one of the flevel files with Meteor).

Looks like I was wrong.  Well, I guess if that was the problem, it would've been removed by now.

Lucky777

« Reply #331 on: 2008-12-08 18:59:42 »
Does it work on the german version too :?

Jonnylossus

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: 2008-12-08 19:34:46 »
Does it work on the german version too :?

Never tested it, but i guess it works. Just create back ups in case of unwanted problems.

___

Habs nicht getestet, aber ich denke mal, dass es funktioniert. Erstelle aber Sicherungskopien / Back Ups, falls ungewollte Probleme auftauchen.

Lucky777

« Reply #333 on: 2008-12-08 19:49:14 »
Es funktionert nicht bei mir da kommt immer diese Fehlermeldung:

http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fehlermeldungff7mn9.png

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #334 on: 2008-12-10 06:38:22 »
It works if you get a hold of the ORIGINAL ENGLISH kernel.bin(2). I can send you a link later.

My german sucks but...

Wenn sie halten ein von der ursprunglichen englischen kernel.bin (2), es funtioniert. Ich kann Ihnen einen link senden. (?) :P

Lucky777

« Reply #335 on: 2008-12-10 13:44:32 »
Thanks for the help! :-D

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: 2008-12-10 21:28:52 »
Just one little question...

To use your Scene.bin in the PSX version, gjoerulv, I had the idea to completely remove some scene files that aren't used in the first disc, such as the scene files holding the enemies you only meet in Midgar disc 2, and the final dungeon's monsters and bosses. This allowed me to make your scene.bin go below the original's size limit and thus, to make it fit into the game ISO.

It worked great until I defeated Guard Scorpion. But then, while going back to the save point, a random encountered occur in the beginning of which the game just crashed. Impossible to go farther. So, my question is : did you hack one of these random encounters in some way that would crash the game if the last few little scene files were missing ?... ...In other words, is some new enemy supposed to ambush the party, as soon as Guard Scorpion is defeated ?

If not, then this surely sucks - as that would mean that my own scene.bin has chances to randomly crash on the PSX version, too...

finalheaven07

« Reply #337 on: 2008-12-10 21:37:24 »
This mod has made me feel like I'm playing FF7 for the first time, as I have no idea what is coming up next enemy-wise.  Thanks!

One thing - I'm not sure if anyone else has reported it, but when you first meet Aerith and you can push the barrels over to help her out, the random encounters you face with Cloud make running around impossible.  I faced 2...geez, I forget their names, but they're the red blob-type monsters.  Anyway, with one attack, they paralyzed, poisoned and silenced me, causing me to die without another way out.  Is it meant to be THAT hard, or is that an oversight?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: 2008-12-10 21:42:41 »
Just one little question...

To use your Scene.bin in the PSX version, gjoerulv, I had the idea to completely remove some scene files that aren't used in the first disc, such as the scene files holding the enemies you only meet in Midgar disc 2, and the final dungeon's monsters and bosses. This allowed me to make your scene.bin go below the original's size limit and thus, to make it fit into the game ISO.

It worked great until I defeated Guard Scorpion. But then, while going back to the save point, a random encountered occur in the beginning of which the game just crashed. Impossible to go farther. So, my question is : did you hack one of these random encounters in some way that would crash the game if the last few little scene files were missing ?... ...In other words, is some new enemy supposed to ambush the party, as soon as Guard Scorpion is defeated ?

If not, then this surely sucks - as that would mean that my own scene.bin has chances to randomly crash on the PSX version, too...

I don't think that there are any new encounters in the reactor, so I can't think of any reason why the game is crashing. Could there be a problem with the kernel.bin file not being updated? Have your field files been updated as well as your scene files? Have you tried this a few times, or has it only happened once?

If the mod doesn't work for the PSX version, that really does suck :-(

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: 2008-12-10 23:17:52 »
I updated the Kernel, but I didn't touch the Field files. Actually, I have no clue how to edit those (be it to add new "monster-in-boxes" or anything else). Do you think the field files also need to be updated, for this hardcore mod to work ?... ...The truth is, I already experienced this same kind of crash, when I worked on my FFVII AV beta. After much Scene hacking, the game would crash when loading some particular enemy formations - but I managed to solve this problem by removing my changes to some other enemies, in different scene files...

It's really weird.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: 2008-12-10 23:31:23 »
I'm not sure exactly what would happen if you tried to play the mod without the right flevel files, but you certainly wouldn't be able to fight the new enemies, and there might be some other problems with encounters as well, since the field files have all the data on what battles happen in what area.

Hmmm, I've just thought; field files are not stored the same way in the PSX version as in the PC version, are they? That might cause a few problems :-(

Lucky777

« Reply #341 on: 2008-12-11 02:10:31 »
THX it work perfect. :-D :-D :-D

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: 2008-12-11 07:08:01 »
One thing - I'm not sure if anyone else has reported it, but when you first meet Aerith and you can push the barrels over to help her out, the random encounters you face with Cloud make running around impossible.  I faced 2...geez, I forget their names, but they're the red blob-type monsters.  Anyway, with one attack, they paralyzed, poisoned and silenced me, causing me to die without another way out.  Is it meant to be THAT hard, or is that an oversight?

Those are the Hedgehog Pies, and they are hard, but not an oversight.  They have a small chance of inflicting those status effects, and though the chance is not high, it is a good idea to not move at all (and therefore not encounter them) until Aeris catches up to you at the top of the church.  She can fight and defeat the MP and Guard Hound enemies without a problem, especially if you provide her with some materia beforehand.
Those Hedgehog Pies are no longer such a problem once you have more members in the party.  Remember that they are weak against ice, so pair All with the Ice materia on someone and you should be able to OHKO them.

Lucky777

« Reply #343 on: 2008-12-11 11:23:30 »
There is a problem: The game runs too fast.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: 2008-12-11 13:55:13 »
I'm not sure exactly what would happen if you tried to play the mod without the right flevel files, but you certainly wouldn't be able to fight the new enemies, and there might be some other problems with encounters as well, since the field files have all the data on what battles happen in what area.

Hmmm, I've just thought; field files are not stored the same way in the PSX version as in the PC version, are they? That might cause a few problems :-(

I'm not sure the problem lies with the flevel files, since the game doesn't crash when walking on the field, but in-battle, just before the character models are loaded. And since it happened in a game in which I only modified Scene.bin, logic tells me the field files have nothing to do with it... It looks like it's a PSX-only problem, since no one else mentioned this.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #345 on: 2008-12-12 01:24:59 »
@Armorvil:
I think the problem lies in the fact that some scenes uses new battle models that can't possibly be in the original psx battle.lgp, 'cause I made 'em lol. I've more or less made 1 new enemy in every place. I only made new enemies where it was room for one (or 2) in the scene.bin. And for the sole exception of Jumbo Cactuar I never replaced any enemies with new ones.

@finalheaven07:
Thanks for trying it! :D Actually those pies, like Shadowseer mentioned, have a very small chance of causing these effects. They never occurred when I played. Maybe I'm just lucky or you unlucky, but the chances are not that high.

@Lucky777:
Where in the game do you experience that? If it's in a mini-game that is quite normal. Try dziugo's multi patcher (patches the .exe). Go here! You may need the chocobo patch as well. You'll find out when you reach the chocobo races.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: 2008-12-12 12:50:34 »
Quote from: gjoerulv
I think the problem lies in the fact that some scenes uses new battle models that can't possibly be in the original psx battle.lgp, 'cause I made 'em lol. I've more or less made 1 new enemy in every place. I only made new enemies where it was room for one (or 2) in the scene.bin. And for the sole exception of Jumbo Cactuar I never replaced any enemies with new ones.

Ah, that was the robot, wasn't it? They caused quite a few problems.

Tyler_Wu

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: 2008-12-12 16:35:03 »
so I've played up until the northern cave,  havent fought sephy or emerald, ruby weapom yet, anyways i cant find the jumbo cactuar, can anyone shed some light on this?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: 2008-12-12 18:04:59 »
I have noticed that some people are having trouble with the battle arena in this mod. At the moment I am investigating how the battle arena works. Hopefully I'll be able to let the player use a full party, which should make things much more reasonable.

Jonnylossus

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: 2008-12-13 18:09:44 »
so I've played up until the northern cave,  havent fought sephy or emerald, ruby weapom yet, anyways i cant find the jumbo cactuar, can anyone shed some light on this?

Maybe around the Cactus Island ;)? It is in the far left corner, far south from Cosmo Canyon.

Don't know this mod though, so i am not sure.