Author Topic: [FF7] World Map to .Obj Converter and back! (Download Missing)  (Read 28571 times)

Costa07

• View Profile
Re: World Map to .Obj Converter (and back!)
« Reply #25 on: 2010-10-31 09:47:22 »
Just checking up and seeing what the progress is? Any clue how much more to complete before a release

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010-11-01 01:13:41 »
Just checking up and seeing what the progress is? Any clue how much more to complete before a release
All things considered why are you so bent on the progress?
The last post from the author was well within the week. I suggest you exercise some patience (any will do). Aali has been VERY faithful to post progress on ANY of his projects when he had any. If he had any it is very likely he would have posted something to let people know.

He even took the time to place the information in the wiki, if you want something to read or modify the world map just read the wiki and DIY then?

Cyb

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-11-01 01:36:59 »
I still haven't had any great ideas on how to handle normals so I pretty much haven't worked on it at all.
Dont worry though, if I dont come up with anything soon I will just release a version that doesn't save normals. The difference is barely noticeable anyway.

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010-11-01 08:53:58 »
Sweet. Sorry if sounded rushed just had too much time on my hands this week, didn't have too work too many hours this week which is rare. So didn't know what to do with my time besides browse qhimm.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-11-18 10:50:22 »
http://backup.ninjaloot.se/share/map2obj.zip

Since I've had absolutely no time to work on this lately I haven't made any progress with the normals so as promised I am releasing a version that otherwise works fine but will set all normals to point straight up. Not really noticeable in game but if you do use this version make sure to keep a copy of the obj file so you can re-export it whenever I find a solution to this problem.

The programs are both command line tools and they both take a single parameter.
For map2obj it is the map file from which it will produce a wm.obj and wm.mtl in the current directory. To make textures work properly you will have to extract them yourselves, wm.mtl writes the names as .jpg but if your modelling tool supports png it should still work if you just rename the .png files.
For obj2map it is the obj file which will be converted into a set of WM0.MAP and WM0.BOT files, the mtl file is not used and textures do not need to actually exist for this to work.

Only WM0 is supported at the moment but it should be fairly easy to add support for underwater and snowfield in a later version.

Be careful with what kind of changes you make to the .obj file, the original coordinate system must be kept intact and objects must cover their respective square area. Also old(er) versions of blender may not be able to import/export the .obj file at all without mangling it too much.

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-12-17 19:24:36 »
Can confirm this works! Even on the PSX version I used my files form that and it works. Awesome work Aali!!

Lord_james

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-12-17 21:03:34 »
In the future, HQ world map. Sound nice. Good job.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-12-17 21:10:10 »
Actually these tools will probably not be used to create a HQ world map. The format is just too limited. Its more likely that a HQ world map will be done as an overlay inserted by some other means while the original map acts as walkmesh.

kaspar01

• FFVIII Fan & Collector , 3D Artist , FF8RP-WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2012-10-21 10:53:34 »
Does it work whith ff8 files too?Or similar tool exist for ff8?

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
« Reply #34 on: 2012-10-24 21:12:50 »
I'd love to be able to port the world map to am arena in UT99. that would be my dream mod