Author Topic: Looking For a Move Editor  (Read 9436 times)

991woot119

• View Profile
Looking For a Move Editor
« on: 2012-01-24 10:30:09 »
Sorry if there is one but I want to find the best that you know of.

I sent a pm to garland and he said to come here.

Here was my question to him:

FF7 Question
I saw how you had homemade hardcore battles and I realize that they are just hacked stats but I want to go further by editing moves/making new ones.

Do you have a program that could possible satisfy my needs?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Looking For a Move Editor
« Reply #1 on: 2012-01-24 13:08:12 »
A "move editor"? By that do you mean animations or actual attacks? The answer to your question will go in different directions depending on what you mean.

Use Kimera for animations.

Use WallMarket for actions the players have access to (magics, summons, items, etc).

Use LiBrE for limit breaks.

Use Proud Clod for enemy actions.

Check out these and other editors on the wiki.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-01-24 16:05:23 »
If you can't be bothered to change the stats and moves yourself i recommend you use a gameplay mod that not only chnages stats but also new moves and new enemies etc:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=6818.0

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2012-01-24 16:48:00 »
Which reminds me, at some point I want to re-write Libre. The original is *awful*.

I was also thinking of a little web app for creating simple AI scripts, to brush up on my Javascript.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-25 12:15:19 by Bosola »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2012-01-24 19:05:08 »
I wouldn't say Libre is awful, it's just outdated now. There's lots of new info that needs to be added.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2012-01-24 20:29:11 »
Well, it works OK, but it isn't very well written. It was the first app I ever wrote, and it shows. And, as you say, it's not completely up to date. The UI needs rethinking too.

This could be a good excuse to download Appcelerator Titanium and build the frontend skills I'll soon need at work.

991woot119

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-01-24 20:45:31 »
I'm looking to make basically a new boss from scratch (besides models)

991woot119

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-01-24 21:39:30 »
So I decided to get the enemy editor and I don't have the file which it opens.

I run my ISO off a bat file.

I think it might be since I haven't played the game besides testing the first battle.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 2012-01-24 22:28:52 »
Firstly, don't double post. Use the edit function.

Secondly, you need the SCENE.BIN. On the PSX version, it's in the INIT folder I think. As for the rest, read the Proud Clod manual.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-25 12:15:33 by Bosola »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #9 on: 2012-01-25 00:40:50 »
Ah, the Proud Clod manual. Now THERE'S something that needs to be re written.

991woot119

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-01-25 01:13:59 »
I cant find the proud clod manual :(

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #11 on: 2012-01-25 07:21:05 »
I cant find the proud clod manual :(

When it was new it shared one with WallMarket. The newest version was so different from WallMarket that one wasn't included. Hence the need to rewrite it.

991woot119

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012-01-25 10:04:58 »
:(

anyway where do I find the file for ePSXe?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 2012-01-25 12:14:54 »
It's in DATA/BATTLE/SCENE.BIN for the PSX release. I think it's BATTLE/SCENE.BIN on the PC release, but I wouldn't know.

I put my SCENE.BIN at the end of the MOVIE folder by default anyway, so I can make it larger than the original.

I'm looking to make basically a new boss from scratch (besides models)

Hmm, this isn't really a good project for a newbie (no offence). Creating new scenes is trickier than you imagine. The battle engine is quite brittle and lots of things depend on one another - some enemies and spell animations won't work without particular battle backgrounds, for example. There's also stuff in the SCENE that hasn't been reverse-engineered yet, like some of the battle flags, which seem to do all kinds of things.

Might I instead suggest turning an existing enemy encounter into a boss fight? This means you have to learn an awful lot less to see results in-game. Start by adapting existing enemy attacks and leaving AI alone. Then start copying simple AI scripts and changing the IDs of spells and attacks. After that, start playing with AI and making the enemy appear in the field, first on an existing event (like opening a chest or door), then in entirely new places.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-25 12:16:33 by Bosola »

991woot119

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012-01-26 09:40:08 »
Well by from scratch I mean like having completely new values moves and AI.

Not to say I won't be modifying it.

Also I can't find it at all for the ePSXe emulator

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 2012-01-26 11:17:53 »
What do you mean, 'for the ePSXe emulator'? You mean for the PSX release? Open your ISO and extract the SCENE from the DATA/BATTLE directory, and the KERNEL from the INIT directory.

Also - friendly tip: if you're still having trouble handling ISOs and actually modding / building PSX games, you're probably not yet at the stage where you can build an enemy from scratch. I've been doing this for almost two years now, and even I find it troublesome, because there are so many things that can go wrong. If you insist, though, at least print out my thread on debugging data errors and learn to keep backing up the files you work on. That should save you from some insanity, at least.

As for AI, how much experience do you have with assembly programming? AI is written in an assembler-like scripting language that's still not fully documented. Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're thinking "what's assembler?", I don't think you're ready for it.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-26 11:22:12 by Bosola »

991woot119

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2012-01-26 20:11:26 »
yeah it's the PSX release but I use an emulator called ePSXe

About the tip I think I won't build it from scratch just modify an enemy slightly over time and eventually have a new enemy. Also I have looked at how stuff works for any game that I'm highly interested in and I have edited them with an editor. Now I'm trying FF7.

The only programming I've used is C++, Basic, HTML and GML. Also I learn crazily quickly and I often learn best by trying stuff and seeing how it works and what it does etc so I think after messing with the AI for a bit I can work it out.

EDIT: I just found out... I'm not using an ISO file. In the folder with only that theres a .bat file which can run it a .cue file and a .bat.ecm file
« Last Edit: 2012-01-26 20:15:54 by 991woot119 »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 2012-01-26 21:15:52 »
Just copy the files from your PSX discs, then.

As for AI, I think you're underestimating it]. If you're interested, though, download WallMarket and read the opcode reference in its manual. Have you worked much with pointer arithmetic in C?
« Last Edit: 2012-01-26 21:19:36 by Bosola »

991woot119

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012-01-26 21:48:20 »
Didn't use C and didn't really like pointers

Also thankyou for the PSX thing (I thought it was just PS)

anyway I don't have them on hand atm since Its waiting for me to finish the speedrun at my friends place

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 2012-01-26 21:56:42 »
Hmm, I think you need more experience before working in ASM then. Assembler doesn't have any concept of variables - pointers and registers / stacks are all you get. I'm not saying you can't do it, just that I think you'll find it quite hard right now. I have done a little work on a project called 'Welder' that aims to make building AI scripts easier, but it's not really in a usable state yet.

Actually, I've also been thinking about writing a little app that creates simple AI scripts for straightforward enemies. As part of my quest to really get into Javascript (I work at a company that creates web applications, so knowing JS well could be handy), I've considered producing a little web editor or desktop javascript app to do it.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-26 22:01:58 by Bosola »

991woot119

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2012-01-26 22:07:05 »
ooh that seems cool

anyway I understood the first C++ thing people normally do with voids and travelling to that void and back fully in my 1st go

so I think I'll learn very quickly

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 2012-01-26 22:23:34 »
Well, if you like, take a read through the WallMarket manual's AI tutorials. Do some searches on these forums and keep backing up your SCENE data. At the same time, you should read through the Proud Clod and WallMarket threads to find fixes to common problems. Copy my thread on 'Battle and Data Errors: What they mean' for quick reference too.

991woot119

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2012-01-26 22:33:00 »
Yeah so anyway how do I copy the files from my FF7 for PS disc?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 2012-01-27 08:39:31 »
Well... you put the disc in a CD-ROM drive and you open it. Then you copy the files.

Once you finish modding, reinsert the files into the ISO with something like the CD Mage beta's reimport feature. Do *not* just try and rebuild an ISO from a directory of PSX files, though - that won't work, because the filesystems are different.

991woot119

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2012-01-27 09:36:59 »
it's an iso but its a .bat file >.<