Author Topic: Tracks labeled "sato" and "heart" in FF7  (Read 2365 times)

blurayno

• View Profile
Tracks labeled "sato" and "heart" in FF7
« on: 2019-03-22 00:36:00 »
Hi everyone.

I'm looking at the FF7 akao music list with Makou Reactor and I'm seeing two tracks completely unused, track 16 "sato" and track 98 "heart".
Does anyone know anything about them, which songs might be they referring to?
Tried to do a lookup on the cd image with their track id's (h10 and h62 respectively) but due to file compression, I couldn't get correct results.
« Last Edit: 2019-03-22 00:45:27 by blurayno »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Tracks labeled "sato" and "heart" in FF7
« Reply #1 on: 2019-03-22 04:04:26 »
They're not music, and they're sorta not unused.

As the screenshot shows, they are distributed with the PC version as wav files. I don't remember what sato is (sounds like wind or something?), but heart is a heartbeat sound effect. They're wav files in the PC version because in 1998, when the music was midi, they wanted to ensure that these played back properly with the intended sound, something they couldn't even remotely guarantee with midi files.
« Last Edit: 2019-03-23 14:06:05 by EQ2Alyza »

blurayno

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-03-23 13:10:00 »
Oh.. so that's what they're about. "sato" means a village in Japanese, so I was hoping to uncover a proto version of Parochial Town or something like that. The usual story.
On top of that I never bought the original PC version myself, because the battle demo was so disappointing.

I suppose those wave files are next to impossible to obtain now.
Thanks for the reply  :)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-03-23 21:18:02 »
Impossible to obtain? It's actually super easy, barely an inconvenience. They aren't unused as far as I know, and are included with every release of the PC version, under data/music.

blurayno

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-03-25 20:08:52 »
They aren't unused as far as I know, and are included with every release of the PC version, under data/music.
....ahhh, had no idea. I just assumed they have totally revamped the sound code on the recent releases. Thanks for the tip!