Author Topic: STICKY: 2D Overhaul & WMRP *OFFICIAL PROBLEM THREAD*  (Read 303580 times)

Sentius Urriah

Having a issue :(
« Reply #325 on: 2011-02-23 08:38:54 »
Ok so I hear that I need the previous version of the Graphics driver but the issue here is that i'ts not available >.>

eXistenZe

• View Profile
Re: STICKY: 2D Overhaul & WMRP *OFFICAL PROBLEM THREAD*
« Reply #326 on: 2011-02-23 22:40:19 »
Hi there...
Since I do not know if this is an aali problem or avalanche I posted this in both threads:

I'm having some artifacts / buggy text with this driver...
Tried switching some setting but no luck yet...
Any solution?

Using remix 2.5.1 + latest aali + latest avalanche hi res + gui 2.0.7

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: 2011-02-24 02:14:16 »
turn on fancy_transparency

OpDDay2001

« Reply #328 on: 2011-03-05 23:15:52 »
I'm not entirely sure that this is the right place, but I've searched and searched and can't seem to find an appropriate one. I've also all but eliminated the possibility that the fault is with Aali's Drivers.

Code: [Select]
INFO: FF7/FF8 OpenGL driver version 0.7.10b
INFO: Auto-detected version: FF7 1.02 US English
INFO: ATI Technologies Inc. ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 4.1.10524 Compatibility Profile Context
INFO: OpenGL 2.0 support detected
INFO: Found swap_control extension
INFO: Max texture size: 16384x16384
INFO: Number of texture units: 8
INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 1280x800, output resolution 1066x800, internal resolution 1280x960
INFO: FBO extension detected, using fast scaling/postprocessing path
INFO: Shader limits: varying 128, vert uniform 16384, frag uniform 16384
INFO: vertex shader compile log:
Vertex shader was successfully compiled to run on hardware.

INFO: fragment shader compile log:
Fragment shader was successfully compiled to run on hardware.

INFO: main program link log:
Vertex shader(s) linked, fragment shader(s) linked.

INFO: FFMpeg movie player plugin loaded
INFO: FFMpeg version SVN-r25886, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
initializing sound...
creating dsound primary buffer
reading audio file
loading static sounds
sound initialized
INITIALIZING MIDI...
selecting device 0:Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, mid=1, pid=27,
midi data type: GENERAL MIDI
using midi data file: d:\final fantasy 7\Data\midi\midi.lgp
midiOutGetVolume returned: ffffffff
MIDI INITIALIZED
set music volume: 127
MIDI set volume: 127
100% of 127 = 127
MIDI set master volume: 100
100% of 127 = 127
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF CREDITS!!!
INFO: H:\FF7\Movies\eidoslogo.avi; truemotion2/pcm_u8 320x240, 15.000000 FPS, duration: 10.133333, frames: 152
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=60
MIDI set volume trans: 127->0; step=60
MIDI stop - OK
MIDI stop - OK
END OF CREDITS!!!
Entering MAIN
100% of 127 = 127
ERROR: unhandled exception

This occurs after installing Avalanche High Res and/or Avalanche GUI 2.0.5 (the only one I can find a download too, there's a newer one supposedly?). To fix the problem I have to reinstall FF7 as just uninstalling Avalanche doesn't fix the problem. The only mods I used while testing were Aali's Drivers and Avalanche's High Res Texture Pack.

I know some people have said that downloading an older version of Aali's driver fixes this issue, but the driver itself isn't the cause (it's working fine with other mods and "vanilla") unless there is some sort of conflict. Still, I can't find an older version of the driver to even download to fix this issue, so that temp-solution is sort of a non-option.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or do I have to wait for a new release of the GUI/Texture Pack and/or Aali's Driver?

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: 2011-03-05 23:18:48 »
Try turning off texture compression. Its a known problem with 0.7.10b and ATI drivers.

OpDDay2001

« Reply #330 on: 2011-03-05 23:26:17 »
I'm such a dunce. That seems to have done it. Thanks, and sorry for PMing you Aali. >.> I read over the cfg file and read that it could cause issues and thought about turning it off, but for some reason didn't. I didn't want to mess around with the default settings too much. Thanks again.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: 2011-03-07 02:31:53 »
Ok I am afraid I have to be the bearer of bad news.  Bluntly:  The font is completely wrong and needs redoing.

The lettering is inconsistent and is not conforming to verdana's proper uniform letter sizes which is why it is not matching up right [see below, letters like e].  The letters also aren't properly placed.  Observe the following, which is my effort in a few minutes placing roughly the letters in place, vs the official TA font (and it isn't just letters, numbers are just the same problem).  The colouring also seems to be off.  The letters and numbers are also rough and not smooth.

Firstly- text:

mine is top
original is bottom.

And numbers which I feel need altering

Mine is deliberately made smaller and fatter, although the outline being all over and not just a  drop shadow is my own preference.

I also have to apologise to TA, because as a tester I should have gone into this at the time more thoroughly.  I just assumed it was correct and did not bother.  I am willing to entertain suggestions on how to proceed.  I am quite willing to help out with this if TA feel they will redo the font.

Please note the above examples were put together very quickly and are not placed correctly. (apart from the number 9)

« Last Edit: 2011-03-07 02:48:52 by DLPB »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: 2011-03-07 02:54:05 »
To put it bluntly: the font was modified to fit the sizes of the original characters. I am not changing it from that.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: 2011-03-07 03:03:39 »
Then the original sizes are wrong.  That is obvious from the picture...  Bosola mentioned knowing a thing or 2 about the fonts, maybe he is willing to help me with it- form some alternative.

I know you worked your ass off on it, I am not happy myself but the idea is surely to do what is best for the game.  Any case, if you do not want to redo it, I am more than willing to give it a shot. :) 

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: 2011-03-07 03:05:10 »
Then the original sizes are wrong.  That is obvious from the picture...  Bosola mentioned knowing a thing or 2 about the fonts, maybe he is willing to help me with it- form some alternative.

I know you worked your ass off on it, I am not happy myself but the idea is surely to do what is best for the game.  Any case, if you do not want to redo it, I am more than willing to give it a shot. :)

You cannot possibly say the originals are wrong. The originals are exactly how they wanted them to be.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: 2011-03-07 03:16:43 »
If you wanna change it change it. Should you come up with a smashingly beautiful font that we agree works, we'll swap it in.

done.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: 2011-03-07 15:32:57 »
It might not all be bad news.  The menu font certainly needs altering to make it fit but the dialogue font seems to be spaced incorrectly by the game and without altering how it goes together internally I am not sure I can even fix the dialogue. 

I just wish it had been done like FFXII or something from the beginning by FF7 team.  That way it would save me hassle.  I will see what I can do....

edit:

aali (saved the day again  :P ) has shown me some values and from those I found some more, and now it seems that this problem is fixed.  (the menu font still needs an edit though I think).  The dialogue and battle font is now fixed.  The scaling is all done internally and was bad to begin with.  It had nothing to do with the dialogue texture.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-07 17:03:18 by DLPB »

guywithquestions

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: 2011-03-14 18:08:32 »
when i run ff7.exe i get the eidos screen to pop up but then after, it goes to a black screen. i open task manager and ff7 crashes opening an error message "oops something really bad has happened..." i would love to know why this has happened and how to fix it asap.
i have aalis custom graphics and the pheonix rejuvination patch which works fine, until i install the team avalanches graphical overhaul. so please any help is appreciated. -guywithquestions

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: 2011-03-14 18:52:53 »
I have no idea. You need to provide more information. Please post the contents of your app.log

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #339 on: 2011-03-14 19:00:56 »
when i run ff7.exe i get the eidos screen to pop up but then after, it goes to a black screen. i open task manager and ff7 crashes opening an error message "oops something really bad has happened..." i would love to know why this has happened and how to fix it asap.
i have aalis custom graphics and the pheonix rejuvination patch which works fine, until i install the team avalanches graphical overhaul. so please any help is appreciated. -guywithquestions

Open ff7_opengl.cfg and disable texture compression.

guywithquestions

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: 2011-03-14 22:15:17 »
disabling texture compressions seems to have worked. id love to know what that exactly does though. i want the best out of these patches/mods.

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #341 on: 2011-03-15 04:48:44 »
Texture compression caches the textures for faster loading and prevents those little freezes. I believe the problem is related to Aali's newest driver and not the Team Avalanche mod.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: 2011-03-15 13:38:30 »
disabling texture compressions seems to have worked. id love to know what that exactly does though. i want the best out of these patches/mods.

like the rage says its not much of a big deal at all. besides aali is a total genius and he will get around to fixing the problem sometime. Other than minor stuttering in the beginning of battles and longer loads from screen to screen you shouldn't notice much of a difference with compression off. Also I love the name, very humble ;]

guywithquestions

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: 2011-03-15 23:52:20 »
haha thanks for the comments guys. this forums been very helpful. games running great. i just got out of midgar. i also have one more question, the background or environment of the game is very pixelated. not the world map but in a town or dungeon. ive seen vids of ppl with very clean environments and was just wondering how i can get mine like that. any thoughts are much appreciated

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: 2011-03-16 05:24:51 »
well you've probably seen pictures of people running the game on low resolutions. You see the backgrounds themselves are very clean images , but they are also very small images, mostly 512x512 so on most modern monitors there will be a substantial amount of stretching and therefore pixelation. However there are two projects running right now (I am actually in charge of one of them) to resize the background images (usually to around 4 times the original size) using advanced fractal algorithms, making them more suitable for hd resolutions. Its a very long and tedious process as there are literally thousands of backgrounds in the game, and its not just as simple as resize and success. You see they also have to be cut into layers to work correctly and this can be a very time consuming process. It depends on how much help I receive in the future but this project could take anywhere from the next 3 months to all year long if I have to work all by myself. I'll post some links so you can check it out, both me and sl1982 have demo releases that you can install and try in game.

here is a link to my project
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11505.0

and here is sl1982's project
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11501.0

we both have pretty much the exact same goal in mind and we are using the same software (Perfect resize 7) to resize the images using fractals. Only difference is we are using slightly different methods to clean up the images after resize, and for the sake of all the backgrounds being consistent with one another, we have decided to keep our projects separate for now. Check back soon once I release my next section of backgrounds I am going to be posting a tutorial and an online spreadsheet so that everyone can help us out and we can hopefully get this done in the next few months.

Also you might want to have a look at these two threads as well
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9688.0
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=10405.0

this is an ongoing project to remake the backgrounds, models, and pretty much everything from scratch, at least for the very beginning of the game. It's one of the best projects going on here right now and look around the team Avalanche forum in general and you should find a lot of exciting stuff in the works!
« Last Edit: 2011-03-16 05:32:06 by yarLson »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: 2011-03-16 06:52:01 »
Why is this in the troubleshooting thread exactly?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: STICKY: 2D Overhaul & WMRP *OFFICIAL PROBLEM THREAD*
« Reply #346 on: 2011-03-16 17:37:56 »
Why is this in the troubleshooting thread exactly?
I think a better question is why the problem thread and the battle scene reconstruction thread both have "OFFICIAL" misspelled.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: 2011-03-17 00:23:10 »
well he asked a question so I gave him an answer. I apologize I didn't really think I probably should have PMed him. My apologies.

guywithquestions

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: 2011-03-17 00:26:38 »
well thanks for the info yarLson that makes alot of sense about the stretching to fit monitors. and ur background images look great! too bad i plan on beating this game and never playing it again but for future gamers theyll be very happy!

dc5niper

« Reply #349 on: 2011-03-18 14:34:42 »
Well i'm getting the "Opps! something bad happened" error after the first video when you start the game after installing this, so I restored the original "world_us.lpg" file and it fixed it it....but I shouldn't have to do that, and I would loose whatever changes were made in that file.

I have Aalis opengl installed and the Phoenix Rejuvenation Project installed. I've tried re-installing the game and the mods a few times but get the same outcome.

So i'm guessing there's a problem with the "world_us.lpg" file that comes with this installer?