Author Topic: A Different FF7 story view...or the same one..(spoilers)  (Read 32732 times)

Sinister Heaven

• View Profile
To return on that
« Reply #50 on: 2003-06-04 18:56:41 »
Contra, if it was Sephiroth the entire time:

1. Why was he still locked in that cocoon in the Northern Crater;
2. Why did Tifa say: "So you mean we've been following Jenova all this time?" okay, it wasn't exactly that, but it meant the same. Somebody with the script to the game, help me out here, she said it after they beat Jenova in the Whirlwind Maze.

And true, indeed, Sephiroth has 0 HP during that final battle, but that battle you are supposed to win: it doesn't matter how powerful or not he is at that moment; this is the true sephiroth, a shell of his former self, and Cloud wipes him out easily.

Try using Change instead of Omnislash: Sephiroth will then attack, hit Cloud for a good 2/3 of his HP, and Cloud will counter with a relatively weak attack, killing Sephiroth anyway.

Z

A Different FF7 story view...or the same one..(spoilers)
« Reply #51 on: 2003-06-05 15:37:54 »
God this is great!!! XD

I remember I beat this game in sixth grade! I still love it to death, but when I was that young I guess I didn't catch all those intricate details you guys picked up!

I got the main storyline. I should really play it all the way through again to see if there's something else I pick up. Heck, even start my own theories. Long live F F VII!

Contra

• View Profile
    • http://contraspontanus.deviantart.com
« Reply #52 on: 2003-06-09 20:05:17 »
Those sephiroths were sephy's psychic projections of himself. I don't remember that line.

I'd look into it but I have very limited comp access right now, I'll get back to you next week once my internet is back up.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #53 on: 2003-06-09 21:01:22 »
I remember Hojo saying something about "his" Sephiroth controling the Clones, this was right before he shot that cannon into the barrier. And I remember Sephiroth turning into Jenova....

So, my conclusion, they weren't psyc. projections, per say....more likely, the Sephiroth they were chasing was the headless Jenova. The supporting evidence would be that blood trail that was left behind, by the headless Jenova, when Cloud and party escaped from Shinra Headquarters. Even according to Aerith' mother, Jenova could shapeshift.

So...not projections....just Jenova.

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2003-06-09 23:42:51 »
Another idea I mentioned before was that Hojo managed to successfully clone Sephiroth. Hojo set the cloned Sephiroth free, and it managed to take Jenova out of storage. The cloned Sephiroth then dragged the lifeless/headless body of Jenova up to the president's office, killed him, and escaped.

In some ways this makes more sense than the "it was jenova the entire time" idea. For example, how could a headless body, which was bleeding mind you, manage to drag itself up like 5 flights of stairs? And why would Jenova cut off pieces of itself for Cloud et al to fight? But it still doesn't explain why the Sephiroth you chase throughout FF7 can fly/float. Only ghosts can do that, right? Well, Vincent sure could fly. He jumps out of the coffin and does a double backflip! And you bet your ass that floating like that is Hojo's trademark.

But still, the "it was Jenova the entire time" seems to be more whole as far as an idea goes. And Sinister is right on that one. How could it be THE sephiroth if he was in the North Crater the entire time? A perfect clone would explain it, but Jenova explains it much better. And you're right, Tifa says: "Not Sephiroth!? You mean all this time it wasn't Sephiroth we've been after?" At another point Jenova/Sephiroth says "All I wanted was a body. A seeing, hearing, moving body. Soon it will be over..." I think it was right before the battle with Jenova. So what could that mean?

Yeah.

Cool Newbie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/sulim_2000/pic/duel.html
wow
« Reply #55 on: 2003-06-12 10:13:11 »
wow, i did'nt expect the ff7 story to go this deep, amazing.

one thing that always did confuse me in the end is cloud the real cloud (from tifa's memory) or is he a fake (as hojo says he created him piece by piece), or is there another explination?

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2003-06-12 10:27:51 »
No, he's the real deal. Hojo probably did re-construct him piece by piece after the Nibelheim incident. Remember how Sephiroth lifted Cloud up with is sword? I'm sure that would cause a ton of injury to anyone. And..Cloud was a candidate for being injected with Jenova cells. He was considered a "failed experiment" because the cells screwed him up so badly. The mako treatment also didn't help.

There never was a fake Cloud. Cloud was just very confused after the Nibelheim incident, so he had to make something up so he could actually function in life. Another bit of proof is when Cloud shows up in the sector 7 train station. He says Tifa's name before she even recognizes him.

Threesixty

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2003-06-12 20:00:03 »
Only after the Flash......does, Cloud say Tifa's name. The same flash you see whenever, Cloud is possessed by Jenova.

And did you ever talk to the two guards on the bottom of the screen of where the Midgar pillar is at.....(the field map before, Tifa's bar)....One of the two guard, is named Cloud....at least that's how it reads....could be a translation problem.

The truth is: FF7's story is incoherent. So everyone comes up with different meanings of what's happening, and of what happened.

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #58 on: 2003-06-12 23:04:57 »
Quote from: Contra
Heh, in all actuality, that Sephiroth has 0 HP.  If you use Game Shark or something to get an enemy skill materia in that fight, with the skill ???? and use it, it will do 0 damage... and kill him.

could he have 0 hp becasue of the gameshark? lol

Contra

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2003-06-15 01:20:34 »
Not when the code puts an enemy skill materia on cloud.. we all know the enemies are stored in very different locations in the game...

~And so returns the prodigal Contra~

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2003-06-15 08:21:10 »
The final battle between sephiroth and cloud seems to be a representation of cloud breaking the chains between himself and jenova. Watch the final fight, then watch the final movie and you'll see what I mean.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #61 on: 2003-06-15 09:09:14 »
Then why not place a Sense materia there? Besides, Final Sephiroth's HP is completely irrelevant since the ending is scripted to occur after the first hit. All you see is FF7 switching over to the ending movie, the battle does not actually end normally and thus his HP remains unknown. :)

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2003-06-15 11:15:39 »
The only problem is that you can't use any abilities or magic in that battle. All you can do is omnislash, regardless of whether you have it or not. However, if you have a counter materia hooked up to sense, I believe that cloud will counter an attack from sephiroth with sense. I'll go try that out...now...

[EDIT]
And it turns out that there is no possible way to sense sephiroth. Even if you have no counterattack materias, cloud will automatically counter sephiroth after he hits you. So sad...

Quote from: Sinister Heaven

In the end, when fighting Bizarro Sephiroth, you can clearly see two arms moving over Sephiroth when he moves... Like somebody plays him... As a puppet. These are obviously Jenova's tentacles.

No! There are no friggin' tentacles. It's sephiroth's hair. He has two long "things" of hair that stick out in the front, kind of like the front of aeris's hair.

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #63 on: 2003-06-15 16:38:21 »
Well, the other day I was thinking to myself "Which game is better - FFVII or Chrono Trigger."  Even though I didn't come up with an answer to that question, it did get me thinking of the depth of FFVII's story.  Here's what I came up with on the Sephy/Jenova theory. (Some of it seems backed up by proof, alot is just speculation.)

The 'Sepiroth' you chase the around the world on Disc 1 is actually the headless Jenova Hojo had contained in the ShinRa building.  If you remember, at some point in the game (Jenova or Sephiroth, I can't remember which) says "The power to change one's appearance is Jenova's" or something along that line.  Also, the confusing dialog between Cloud and Tifa in the Nothern crater where Tifa says "So you mean it's not really Sephiroth we've been chasing this entire time." (It's my opinion that something was lost/screwed up in that conversation during the translation.)

As far as who's in control - Seph or Jenova - well, with my theory, it's kind of hard to just pick either or.  You see, as I take it, Sephiroth IS Jenova.  His thoughts/experiences and Jenova's thoughts/experiences are one in the same.  He was injected with Jenova cells at his conception, and he grew to be made up of some human genes, and mostly Jenova.  For all intents and purposes, Sephiroth is a genetic clone of Jenova.  Hence the Number one on his arm.  He's the first clone (of Jenova, not himself.)  As far as Sephiroth being a victim - it depends on how you look at it.  If you take Sephiroth for what he is - Jenova, then he is not a victim.  He is the ultimate evil.  But if you look at Sephiroth the human, what Sephiroth should have been hadn't Hojo tampered with him, and you see that his life, his free will to choose to be good or evil, his memories, etc. were taken away from him before he ever had the chance to live - then yeah, you could consider him a victim, depending on what your view is on conception and life.

Jenova knew that her body (the headless thing in the ShinRa building) was physically dying.  (This is shown at the end of the game, when you fight Jenova.  If you don't kill her in the time allotted, she just self destructs and dies.  I'm not sure if she's supposed to do something that kills your characters, because the one time I actually witnessed what happens when the counter runs out, Jenova was out of MP.)  She knew that, through Sephiroth melding with the planet, her essence would live forever, as Sephiroth.  Which is why the reunion took place in the Northern crater - Jenova's body was gathering where Sephiroth was, preserved in Mako at the center of the crater.

Jenova (from here on out, unless I specify otherwise, when I refer to Jenova, I'm talking about her headless body.) knew that she needed to get the black materia to the Northern Crater.  She took the form of Sephiroth, because she knew that form would intimidate people (especially Cloud.  Cloud played an intergal role in her plan.  She knew Cloud was powerful physically, and she also knew that she could easily take control of him when the time came, because of the fact that he was mentally weak and had Jenova cells in him.)

When you fight Jenova at the end of the game, that body dies.  Then you fight Sephiroth, who is of course enhanced by the power of Jenova, since he IS Jenova.  When you defeat the One Winged Angel, Jenova is dead.

The battle between Cloud and Sephiroth, I believe, is taking place in Cloud's mind.  It basically is to symbolize Cloud finally being completely free from the influence of Jenova.  Even though he'll carry the DNA with him for the rest of his life, since the essence of Jenova is dead, it doesn't matter.  He has his own free will back and doesn't have to worry about being controlled any longer.

I pretty much think that's what I came up with - if I think of anything I forgot, I'll just add it in later.

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2003-06-15 20:17:29 »
Quote from: TiadaghtonDude
The battle between Cloud and Sephiroth, I believe, is taking place in Cloud's mind.  It basically is to symbolize Cloud finally being completely free from the influence of Jenova.  Even though he'll carry the DNA with him for the rest of his life, since the essence of Jenova is dead, it doesn't matter.  He has his own free will back and doesn't have to worry about being controlled any longer.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking at first. But it still doesn't explain why after you defeat the One-Winged Angel, Cloud is shot out of his body, and then a cinematic of him flying through some sort of earthy tunnel plays. But it would make tons more sense with the "in the mind" idea, just because it does. Unless Cloud went back into the lifestream to make sure that a vile being such as Sephiroth would not infect the lifestream. It sure explains why Cloud says: "Lifestream?" after Sephiroth blows up in the final cinematic. It makes even more sense because Aeris's hand reaches to "pull" him out. Either way, the villains are dead.

But I'll follow up on my post up at the top of the page. If you notice, Sephiroth blows up and red spirit energy flies outward. The screen cuts to Cloud, looking dumb as ever. Suddenly, green and red spirit energy flow around him. Both energy streams enter his body, and a green flash follows. Only green spirit energy flows out. So I'm guessing that means that Cloud was purified of Jenova's influence.

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #65 on: 2003-06-15 21:48:38 »
ahhhh long posts *hides*

Threesixty

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2003-06-15 22:21:00 »
...There really isn't too much there, that says it's Aerith's hand that we are seeing....The only clue we get is the music, but there are no gold braclets on the wrist. I guess the music is enough....but they should have drawn in that braclet.

The story is just too, incoherent. The only reason why so many people remember FF7, is because of what happens to Aerith. If that never happened, FF7 wouldn't have been anywhere "near" as popular.

As for the tunnel, and the Final, "Final Battle".
....It looks more like a detour, to me. If you noticed, the tunnel has some soothing colors in it; then you see something that looks like a moon. Except the moon doesn't have any kind of floating globes drifting aroud it, that I know of.....So, it can only be concluded that it's in fact, "Holy".

Then the detour happens; we pan down, and and go through a tunnel that seems different from the first one......That's when we meet Sephiroth. Apparently, blocking Holy from being summons.

Now the question is...where are they during this final battle (I mean, all three final battles) Sure didn't look like any type of reality place to me...looked like a dream world. The same dream world that was visited by Cloud and Tifa. It's never answered. Perhaps it's some kind of Purgatory.....a place between the real world, and a Spirtial one....the place where a Summons tranverses from a wish into reality. (Lifestream).

And that "part" of Sephiroth was the final roadblock, that was holding Holy back.....in that Spritial world. And that could be what that third fight means; The final bond for the summons of "Holy". Nothing more than that.

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2003-06-16 00:18:00 »
Quote from: Threesixty
but they should have drawn in that braclet.

Maybe she was naked. It was Aeris, regardless.

Quote from: Threesixty
The only reason why so many people remember FF7, is because of what happens to Aerith. If that never happened, FF7 wouldn't have been anywhere "near" as popular.

No way, dude. At least in my opinion. I was glad that she died. From start to finish Aeris was a whiny biatch. What I feel was so addicting was the discovery of who Cloud really was. That's what was memorable, and what keeps the player hooked.

But you're right; It's too incoherent. As you've said like 3x before. Perhaps they left these undefined things to keep the players coming back for more. No matter what people will have different interpretations, each and every one very possible. Except for the stupid far-fetched ones you hear in fan-fic stories. Yuck.

But I'm going to have to stick with the idea that the final battleplace between Cloud and Sephiroth was in fact the lifestream.

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #68 on: 2003-06-16 23:03:56 »
lol maybe teh FF7 people were bribed so that fanfics are easy to write

Contra

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2003-06-17 11:16:20 »
If you look at the 'tunnel' it starts to look like he's going through rusty steel pipes... I think he was in the lifestream.. and then sucked into a mako reactor.

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2003-06-17 11:44:03 »
I don't see how it could be a mako reactor. the tunnel clearly looks like rock, being cut away by cloud's protectional barrier, or energy field, or whatever is around him. But it would be pretty cool if sephiroth and cloud ended up fighting in the nibelheim reactor. But the blackness surrounding them really doesn't keep pace with the reactor idea.

But there is no way we'll ever know for sure because square had some twisted vindictive idea to not explain minor things like this.

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2003-06-18 00:04:20 »
Now the question is...where are they during this final battle (I mean, all three final battles) Sure didn't look like any type of reality place to me...looked like a dream world.

hey don't forget you are really fighting jenova so the "dream world" is just an illusion. As for the final battle how did Sephiroth manage to keep his sword after being sucked through the lifestream from the nibelheim reactor. Remember he stabbed cloud and cloud through him over the edge but the masamune didnt go with sephiroth. Did he make a new one whilst stuck in the planets core for so long?

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2003-06-18 00:40:36 »
No, he had the sword when he fell..I think. I'll get back to you on it. 5 bucks says that he still had his sword.

[15+ minutes later]

And I win 5 bucks because Sephiroth is holding Jenova's head and the masamune as he falls into the lifestream. Flaming moron.

And you're not a moron; I just felt like putting a photo of a guy lighting his face on fire.