Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII-2 News  (Read 124578 times)

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XIII-2 News
« Reply #175 on: 2011-12-27 17:40:56 »
I never said it was the worst, but I said that, while, yes, beautiful, polished, playable, bug-free and enjoyable, it gets away from what Final Fantasies really are. It began with FFX - don't get me wrong, FFX is awesome - but Square could have get back to their mistakes if they didn't merge with Enix. Now it just gets worst and worst everytime. As a game overall, it was very good. As a FF, it was crap.

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #176 on: 2011-12-27 17:46:59 »
Completely derailing the topic at my own peril - Can you explain to me what you dislike about 10? You seem to be the only one with a really bad opinion of it, and in fact 10 was made before the merger even happened. Actually, I think it's a really good example of a Final Fantasy game.
« Last Edit: 2011-12-27 17:48:39 by BlitzNCS »

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 2011-12-27 17:49:55 »
I never said I dislike anything about 10! In fact, 10 is one of my favourite. One of the only thing (if not the only thing) that I don't like is the fact that the World Map is taken apart. I like the Sphere Grid system, even if a bit complicated for someone like me.

Don't get me wrong, I love FFX.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 2011-12-27 17:52:52 »
I never said it was the worst

No ? But you just said :

Lets try to improve a stupid worthless sh*t game. It's still a worthless sh*t game.

:D
Ha yes, it's a stupid worthless sh*t game, but it's not the worst. I mean, yes, the worst of the sh*t game must be extremely sh*tty. Yuck. And it's not FFXIII ! I guess S-E can breathe :)

And don't sell your PS3 to get a PS2 ; they started to release HD versions of the best PS2 games (FFX included). In a short while, it's the PS2 that will be worthless.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 2011-12-27 17:53:54 »
HD versions? You mean the upscaled ports right?

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: 2011-12-27 17:57:44 »
Oh look, we're here again.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 2011-12-27 17:58:34 »
You're right espio. Lets get back to the main topic.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 2011-12-27 18:07:54 »
No we are suggesting that FFXIII is one of the worst FF's and a complete dumbing down over the classics we paid good money for previously.  I don't think most people can let this point sink in.  We don't shell out top dollar for "Final Fantasy" to be a "good game", we shell it out to get quality, and certainly for a game to be at least NEAR to what went before.

XIII is a joke on every level compared to VI-X.  Its story, game play, and pacing all suck.  The player is only second fiddle to graphics and cutscenes.

I did not realise that I had ventured into this topic again... I will create a new topic for FF bashing.

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 2011-12-27 20:12:14 »
On the topic of FFXIII-2. I actually have a lot of hope for it, it seems a lot more open world so I'm going to buy it. My question is, I quit FF13 when I got to gran pulse...should I beat it just for the sake of playing 13-2...or should I say screw it and just read spoilers? lol

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 2011-12-27 21:19:05 »
At least try and play it :P You could always take the quitters way out though...

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #185 on: 2011-12-30 19:34:21 »
You hear that, Gjoerulv ? We weren't having fun with the battle system in XIII. Our minds and bodies can betray us, I tell you.

Haha.
Yeah, some people take the fall/change of FF too personal.

Sqeeny simply follow the money, like about 90%(++) of all business dealing with pop culture.
I think if people really want to influence how Squeeny makes their FFs they need to start some sort of pop phenomenon, and create their own target crowd. However, they would be to sell-out to do this, so all in all you would be just as bad as Squeeny.
Or get some old school FF in charge of the game development.

Concerning 13,2, I think it looks exactly like 13 with some improvements... I think I got the same impression like everyone else. As of now it wouldn't be too far fetched to say: If you didn't like 13, don't buy it; if you liked 13 buy it. [/obvious]

Tuxedo

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 2011-12-31 06:31:14 »
No we are suggesting that FFXIII is one of the worst FF's and a complete dumbing down over the classics we paid good money for previously.  I don't think most people can let this point sink in.  We don't shell out top dollar for "Final Fantasy" to be a "good game", we shell it out to get quality, and certainly for a game to be at least NEAR to what went before.

XIII is a joke on every level compared to VI-X.  Its story, game play, and pacing all suck.  The player is only second fiddle to graphics and cutscenes.

I did not realise that I had ventured into this topic again... I will create a new topic for FF bashing.

Woah, woah, woah. FFXIII wasn't the greatest game ever but it certainly wasn't the worst freaking game in existence like you're making it out to be. I thought it was a fun game to play, the characters were alright aside from Snow and the world was amazing. FFXIII's world is probably my favorite in the whole series, next to Spira, that's one of the reasons why I was so pissed that we couldn't backtrack and explore everything so thank goodness FFXIII-2 fixes that. The battle system was fun and I enjoyed playing the game and that's all that matters to me.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 2011-12-31 07:59:20 »
You can delete post and one above, I have moved them to a more relevant place.  8-)
« Last Edit: 2011-12-31 08:29:13 by DLPB »

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 2012-01-02 10:48:47 »
Thought I'd mention it here, too : the french website Gamekult gave the game 8+/10 (+ meaning it received the Editor choice). And the site being quite harsh with its review system, 8+ is pretty good. Link :

http://www.gamekult.com/jeux/test-final-fantasy-xiii-2-SU00009039t.html?pf=xbox-360-160031

Here is a summary of what is said (courtesy of Shawn6661, relayed on GFaqs by Kanart) :

The developers of Final Fantasy XIII-2 carefully noted all the bad things the Internet has criticized of their previous game to give us just the opposite. Too many hallways? We will give multiple paths. No NPCs or sidequests? We'll swing a ton of cats stuck in trees. Otherwise, the game continues on the solid foundation of its predecessor, namely the nervous and efficient combat system, good graphics, and a soundtrack that keeps on cutting bridges with the previous titles, and we eventually learn to accept it. Strange on paper, the result is very good despite a soft and misleading start. After four to five hours, the adventure finally takes off and the player begins to gain more freedom, discovering the richness of the parallel universes possible to explore. Very promising, the capture of monsters finally shine on the end where the game gets really difficult and demanding. Rich, varied and full of sidequests that are revealed gradually, Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a great success. An encouraging return to the RPG as we knew it in the 90s.

+ a bold and full of surprises scenario
+ the bold concept of parallel worlds
+ capture and breed monsters
+ the fights are still dynamic and catchy
+ the awesome last boss

- fights are very easy on the first hours
- visiting always the same spots
- the multiple choice answers are useless

To put things into perspective, the same reviewer (Greg, a long-time FF fan) gave 7/10 to FFXIII. Not a bad rating, but he did tear FFXIII a new hole in his text, since he was as disappointed with XIII as many fans were. More of a reason to be hopeful concerning XIII-2, since he really was pleasantly surprised with it.

EDIT:

I just read another french review for FFXIII-2, this time from jeuxvideo.fr (link : http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/jeux/final-fantasy-13-2/preview-test-final-fantasy-13-2.html ), and it got 7/10. Basically, the reviewer didn't like the ending ("the less compelling ending I experienced in a J-RPG"), and he feels the game lost its balance (it's too easy to max Serah & Noel, and the game is so easy until the final dungeon it's sickening). You don't even need to change roles most of the time, and some boss fights that should have been epic end in only 2 or 3 minutes... The reviewer says that the gameplay "calibration" is off and the main story too short...

So yeah, it's not a bad game, but it's still far from perfect apparently. I'll still get it though. It should be a pretty fun game if you don't set your expectations too high.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-02 14:22:49 by Armorvil »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 2012-01-02 17:47:53 »
words
So they kept their promise and fixed the game's biggest problem, its linearity? I'm impressed.

It's a sad day when simply following through on a promise is impressive :(

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 2012-01-03 07:16:08 »
I hear XIII-2 has a disaster of a story, even worse than XIII

By Glenn Morrow [Japanese XIII-2 I assume] (Spoilers)

What a stupid story this turned out to be. Serah's a glorious idiot (slower than Michael Kelso on the uptake, and repeats what others have just said followed by a question mark more than characters did in Dirge of Cerberus), Caius's plan is pretty stupid (he really can't see any negative consequences stemming from that?), Lightning doesn't get enough screentime to even justify putting her in the marketing for this thing, Fang and Vanille have next to no presence whatsoever, there's no Fanille to speak of, Snow's role is completely forgettable, Alyssa's annoying as sh*t, the conversation options don't do what pre-release interviews implied they'd do (or maybe it was our wishful thinking that it would be like "Mass Effect"), and there's way too many "just because" plot points --

Caius having Etro's heart and the consequences of him being stabbed, the connection between Etro and the seers, their role and the fate they face, Snow becoming a l'Cie again, the consequences to time from Etro interfering in the ending of FFXIII in the first place, Caius basically trying to repeat what Barthandelus did ...

And needs more Sazh.

Noel is cool enough, and you can't not like what they did with Hope, but jeez. What a disaster of a story.

Text is above.  Highlight.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-03 07:18:51 by DLPB »

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 2012-01-05 22:17:05 »
I present to you all The "Moogle" trailer.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 2012-01-05 22:38:45 »
I am so glad I sold my PS3.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 2012-01-06 00:23:30 »
I am so glad I sold my PS3.
No way, just upgraded my hard drive to 320Gb. 

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 2012-01-06 00:38:38 »
There's a demo coming out next week (10th) on the North American PSN. Not sure about EU, but we can play it anyway, just have to create a NA account.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: 2012-01-06 14:41:48 »
From Facebook:
Today we’re excited to confirm that a FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 demo will be coming to Xbox 360 from January 11th 2011, Playstation 3 (EU) from January 11th 2011, and Playstation 3 (NA) from January 10th 2012.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 2012-01-06 17:30:33 »
Beautiful news.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 2012-01-06 18:53:41 »
New trailer came out today and wtf is this moogle powered thing they just ran out of ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0L9tr-sLxo&feature=player_embedded

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 2012-01-07 03:47:41 »
I already posted that lol.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 2012-01-07 14:19:29 »
oh yeah lol ima bit late xD

Well it looks like the demo will release for both consoles in
January 10th in North America
January 11th in Europe.

http://www.maxconsole.com/cgi-bin/maxconsole/rknewz.pl?function=detail&id=RKLS000000594&cat=PLAYSTATION%203

will download and see i bet i will be dissapointed still...
« Last Edit: 2012-01-08 12:51:48 by e1sunz »