Author Topic: Final Fantasy: Epoch, A Unreal Engine 4 Project  (Read 5338 times)

Incinerator

Final Fantasy: Epoch, A Unreal Engine 4 Project
« on: 2018-11-06 10:27:09 »
Final Fantasy: Epoch production is in the works! Since the making of FFXII: The Zodiac Era, the standalone game combing all three mod stories (FFIV:TAY: The Beginning, FF9: The Zodiac Age and FFXII: The Zodiac Era) as one. Read all the details here and support the project!
Follow on twtter for updates on the game's progress.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy: Epoch, A Unreal Engine 4 Project
« Reply #1 on: 2018-11-06 15:40:22 »
Good luck not getting this removed by Kickstarter for violating their terms.

Incinerator

« Reply #2 on: 2018-11-09 19:45:04 »
Good luck not getting this removed by Kickstarter for violating their terms.

And it's still up and running. Salty bastard.

[email protected]

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2018-11-09 22:39:47 »
"The potential risk of the project is it's cancellation rate, which is mostly determined by it's budget and how much can be funded for it"

I don't want to sound like an *** but you'll get a C&D letter even if you ask a dime for it.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2018-11-09 23:52:18 »
The thing is that Final Fantasy is a registered trademark. You may can name a mod after it but once you make profit with something which is called Final Fantasy you walk on very thin ice. I can ensure you if Kickstarter doesn't close your project SE will as soon as they see that someone use the name of their most famous franchise. Also they can argument that your project did harm the name of the franchise and then things can go ugly.

There is a reason why you often see mods and tools which credits the different companies for the products which where used.

Though, I still wish you luck with your project and many bakers but you should give it another name for your own sake.

Incinerator

« Reply #5 on: 2018-11-10 01:33:15 »
The thing is that Final Fantasy is a registered trademark. You may can name a mod after it but once you make profit with something which is called Final Fantasy you walk on very thin ice. I can ensure you if Kickstarter doesn't close your project SE will as soon as they see that someone use the name of their most famous franchise. Also they can argument that your project did harm the name of the franchise and then things can go ugly.

There is a reason why you often see mods and tools which credits the different companies for the products which where used.

Though, I still wish you luck with your project and many bakers but you should give it another name for your own sake.

this is a non-commercial UE4 game, no profit whatsoever. In regards to SE, The project passed review, and in case your wondering on SE's side, I got the ok talking to the community manager about the fan project beforehand, what should be do always before starting.

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2018-11-10 07:22:29 »
>gaining funds for creating fan projects based on someone's IP
>knowing that SE always kills fan projects
>kickstarter having only description of what it's going to be
>title and Unreal Engine is what's all about the game
>no serious art, screenshots, promotion
>made by one person
>community manager as someone in charge of SE
>goal of thousands of dollars for project that can get cancelled so fast

EDIT: It indeed sounds brutal, but keep on progressing! We are all on the same boat which is FF addiction. I still wish you best, yet be prepared for what I tried to tell you
« Last Edit: 2018-11-10 21:36:48 by Maki »

Zervox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2018-11-11 04:53:51 »
this is a non-commercial UE4 game, no profit whatsoever. In regards to SE, The project passed review, and in case your wondering on SE's side, I got the ok talking to the community manager about the fan project beforehand, what should be do always before starting.

community managers are not the ones who decides this.

regarding non-commercial, it might be non commercial but you are asking for money to make something which uses Final Fantasy heavily based on the references.

Did you link and give the information regarding the kickstarter when you talked to this community manager as well? Did you also mention your fanmake would entail using Final Fantasy(R) as a introduction header?

to be honest as far as some companies goes this would've lead to you getting dragged to court and not just for a mere C&D

Incinerator

« Reply #8 on: 2018-11-11 09:52:55 »
where was all this attention when I released FF9: Zodiac Age?
No of course, when it's something to cut the fern up you'd jump on it quickly.
whether the KS is or not it's still gonna be made. As a render alone that is.
« Last Edit: 2018-11-11 09:54:47 by Incinerator »

[email protected]

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2018-11-11 11:01:15 »
FF9 Zodiac Age was just a mod. Mods are normally accepted. You're trying to make a fully-fledged Final Fantasy game, which is generally a no-no.

"Passing review" means nothing. On a side note, Satoru Iwata was not against fan games based on Nintendo IPs as long as they were free. After his death, the company still went against fan games.
« Last Edit: 2018-11-11 11:05:07 by Cicciolo »

Incinerator

« Reply #10 on: 2018-11-12 00:45:09 »
Yeah, I got the email from Square Enix themselves today. The message was stern and formal. And see for yourself.

[email protected]

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2018-11-12 09:44:01 »
Duh, what are we supposed to see?

Incinerator

« Reply #12 on: 2018-11-13 04:42:11 »

shut your buttercup ass up message.

*Shut your buttercup up*

^

DUH

even the kindergarten censor sees it.

I'm still continuing the strawberries though, regradless wtf.

Zervox

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2018-11-13 06:52:36 »

from what I can see on the kickstarter it now says cancelled, which means SE decided it was not ok I assume.

[email protected]

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2018-11-13 09:09:59 »
*snip*

Thank you for your kind words.
« Last Edit: 2018-11-13 09:13:36 by Cicciolo »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2018-11-13 10:01:38 »
I guess this topic can be closed, because I can't see any constructive criticism from any side.
@Incinerator it's sad that they closed your project but better now than later when you had put too much work into it. For the future just stay away from things that belongs to the Final Fantasy universe or from where SE is the IP holder (I guess the ATB system belongs to that, too). The UE3 Chrono Trigger project was closed even though it was noncommercial. You can say that it is inspired by Final Fantasy, but that's all.
And who knows, might be that some of us will also get a nice letter from SE when they release the first episode of there FF7 reboot. Just to erase the competition of their own game.