Author Topic: Swap/insert FFX models/textures  (Read 7237 times)

fuzzymillipede

• View Profile
Swap/insert FFX models/textures
« on: 2009-08-27 06:03:57 »
I have seen some tools to extract the models and textures from FFX. But this doesn't help me much, because what I want to do is change the appearance of one thing into another. So, I need to replace the model/texture of one FFX object with another. This should be very easy, but I don't see any tool to help me. Does such a thing exist?

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Re: Swap/insert FFX models/textures
« Reply #1 on: 2009-08-27 07:00:00 »
nope

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-08-27 22:04:54 »
I have seen some tools to extract the models and textures from FFX. But this doesn't help me much, because what I want to do is change the appearance of one thing into another. So, I need to replace the model/texture of one FFX object with another. This should be very easy, but I don't see any tool to help me. Does such a thing exist?
If you don't know how the models are put together, the format of the data, then how can this be "very easy"? Perhaps you should find information available and DIY?

Cyb

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 2009-08-28 00:13:40 »
Cyb?  Haven seen you in a while!

Satoh

• Assuming this statement is correct, I'm alive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-08-29 00:00:18 »
Texmod could work if you used it to run PCSX2 to play FFX at a really slow speed... aside from that you could always ruin your PS2 trying to enable copied discs to play and then waste your time trying to directly replace the hex of the texture you're interested in... only to not play it on your freshly broken PS2.

Does that help any?

fuzzymillipede

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-08-29 16:42:15 »
So by that you mean I would have to use a hex editor to directly replace the textures? That is a bit too tedious for me. Oh well, looks like this isn't going to happen.

Satoh

• Assuming this statement is correct, I'm alive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-08-29 20:52:16 »
Like I said, if you REALLY want to do it, you can (provided you have a PS2 to get the bios from) run it in PCSX2 through the TexMod program. TexMod will allow you to replace textures while the game is running, BUT, PCSX2 is mildly difficult to setup for the first time, and will have a very low framerate/ or run very slowly.

If you just want to take a few screenshots with your new texture, that is the way to do it.

fuzzymillipede

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-08-30 15:08:53 »
I see. I have some friends who could do this for me, but I cannot. My computer is too slow.

fuzzymillipede

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-10-13 01:50:19 »
What I was trying to do was get the Aeons to look like Dark Aeons. Well, wouldn't you know, I have figured out how to do the texture swap by editing the items in the inventory in a savegame (by editing in "Possessed by Yu Yevon!"). Who would have ever thought it possible that way?

I had also figured out another way to do it by editing the pointers to the character/aeon models in memory. Those pointers were rather hard to find.