Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1079167 times)

ARMs

• View Profile
gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod
« Reply #125 on: 2007-10-30 02:58:43 »
So i'm wondering if you defeated safer sephiroth yet lol.  I need to know if hes beatable.

BlackInfinity

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2007-10-30 04:49:46 »
If your talking to me ARMs then no... I haven't even reached disc three yet, and I probably won't get there until Thursday of this week. (Yea from reading my last reply you might figure that I used Jenova to get all the enemy skills from within the North Cave.... once I go in I HATE going back out).  I'll let you know if I can manage to beat him but from what I've heard/seen about him, he seems extremely cheap. Just please tell me that there are no moves you can use against him that give him instant recovery, like a few of the bosses in this mod.

Seriously TC, either make it do 0 damage to them, or make it heal them for as much as it would have hurt them, but to make it an instant full heal is just stupid.
If you make fire fully heal bosses because you don't want them to use phoenix, then just make phoenix so weak it's almost useless. Why not? I already threw  KotR away for its uselessness. Don't punish the player for trying to use one of their resources 30 min into a tough boss fight by fully healing the boss because you don't want them to use a "cheap" tactic. But hey, don't change the mod for my sake, (I look forward to the release of your next project) I never used phoenix all that much anyway.

ARMs

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2007-10-30 04:57:07 »
Nah no such thing exists on my mods.  I don't like any enimy instantly killed by casting a simple fire spell or completely recovering bosses HP just for using an elemental spell.   Its tuff enough to drop their HP, and i dont like to eliminate players resources unless they are completely cheap and theres no going around it.   

since your using the TC's kernel file shadow flare and Beta might be weaker then my versions.   I intentionaly powered those two mvoes up since beta can only be obtained by beating the zolom whos super strong.   and shadow flares are in the end game with strong enimy and boss that uses it.
« Last Edit: 2007-10-30 05:07:20 by ARMs »

BlackInfinity

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2007-10-30 09:39:39 »
Cool, I'm glad I can actually use materias the way the game intended for them to be used without worrying about instantly healing sephiroth. Does sephy still cast pandora's box, (or was that the move you took out for Beta?) I'm not using dizugo's limit breaking patch anyway so Im sure beta will still hurt like **** .

Gjoerulv, how do you expect people to beat Ruby weapon?  :? One-Hundred Thirty. That is how many times a character with a magic stat of 255 has to cast shadow flare in order to kill Ruby. Two Hours. That is how long I spent casting shadow flares at ruby before I made a slight misjudgment and Ruby finally killed me. I spent so much time fighting Ruby HE actually ran out of MP.  Lets see, what other tactics are there for taking down Ruby? Well the most common would be to cast Knights of the Round 21 times, but with your mod it does zero damage to Ruby. Another common tactic would be to swallow a million Hero Drinks and beat him to death with mimed limit breaks but Hero Drinks act like shield in this mod. The other famous way to defeat Ruby is to abuse 7777 while counter miming a limit break that hits repeatedly. Getting 7777 HP is easy to do with Jenova and basic algebra skills, however, my game always freezes for some reason when I use the save where Jenova sets Yuffie's base HP to 7777. Honestly I believe I can beat ruby using Jenova and the 7777 tactic (it would still take a good hour), if my game wouldn't freeze. But then I wouldn't have the "bragging rights" of saying I beat a hardcore Ruby without cheating.

Making a boss hard is one thing, but making a boss with so much defense and HP and no decent way to damage it is just ridiculous. I honestly believe the developers of FFVII made Knights of the Round FOR Ruby weapon. (They even give it to you in the form of Master Summon Materia, before you even fight Ruby.) How else did they expect you do deal 800000 damage to a monster with near max defenses? How do you expect us to deal 1000000 damage to a monster with max defense without cheating? Please enlighten us. (Its too bad I couldn't just poision Ruby, use an elixer, and keep counter miming it while I take a nap....lol)

ARMs

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2007-10-30 11:12:22 »
so casting shadow flare on ruby 130 times is the power of shadow flare at magic stat of 255 or the power of magic stat 255 plus hero drinks 2x power increase?   if you didn't use hero drink you should have to reduce the casterings down to 100 or 70 casting if you used the damage break.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #130 on: 2007-10-30 14:00:13 »
@BlackInfinity

Are you using the new kernel I uploaded or the old one? In the new one KOTR is useless against the strongest enemies, and that wasn't the point. in the old Kernel i don't see how he could do 0 damage. It's attack is unblockable and should do the same damage no matter what. However in the new one I made it useless, which I figured out was a mistake. I will release a new version soon enough so relax. I just have to play though the game to see what needs a fix. Perhaps it was a mistake to release before doing that :P.

Concerning Elements healing him, or even recover him, was intensional. One of the point in this mod is to figure out other strategies. Considering that Final Attack+Phoenix is kinda cheap. But as I see the fight is way too long. I will do something 'bout that. I just have my hands full these days.

Thanks for all the feedback! Appreciate it!

BlackInfinity

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2007-10-30 18:05:04 »
Hey I'm relaxed, just thought I'd let you know how things were from a gamers perspective.   :-)  And yea I was using the new kernel that changed exit materia so I wouldn't be tempted to use it. The new kernel is perfectly fine except for the KotR thing. There is no way to damage Ruby efficiently.

Shadow Flare does about 8000 damage to Ruby Weapon with a magic stat of 255. This is without hero drinks, as hero drinks in this kernel give you the same effect as the "Shield" spell, and do not raise attack damage or defense. I actually tried hero drinks in this fight and the damage was the same as before. Shadow Flare isn't the strongest move you can use on Ruby, Bahamut ZERO is but shadow flares animation is much faster so I use that instead. (Actually that is closer to 125 shadow flares but who is counting?)

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #132 on: 2007-10-31 18:37:33 »
Time for an update.

I finally managed to make the last bosses hard!  :-D :-D :-D
In this new semi release, there are still some AP glitches. At least on Revive materia. I think on Exit, HP+ and perhaps MP+ and other booster materias. I dunno whats causing this, so any enlightenment on this from anyone would be highly appreciated. Please look at the materia dump (1st page) to know what I initially did. The problem is that the materias level and master too early, making them kinda cheap.

Enough of that...

Additionally the enemies are sightly harder after (and some places before) Jenova Death. Not by much, but it should be noticeable. When I tested it for bugs nothing appeared, but I did I minor adjustments on Jenova Synth which I didn't test. But I don't see how a minor detail could have any effect. All the weapons are harder except Emerald who already is a b*tch. I didn't test Diamon and Ultima. If there are any bugs there please let me know.

Odin only use his lance attack now as well.

That should cover it I think (Hero drink works as it originally did I believe).

http://www.speedyshare.com/236370618.html

EDIT:

I've edited some more now. Gonna put up for dl soon. I bearly reaced Jenova with my test party. And I wasn't even able to scratch her. Would appreciate if anyone gave me ant feedback on the final fights!
« Last Edit: 2007-11-02 05:10:26 by gjoerulv »

Claude

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2007-11-04 12:05:40 »
 Has someone beaten Diamond Weapon when it's attacking Midgar? It's too hard :( There's no way i can kill it before the countdown finishes, and when it does, it's instakill.  :?

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #134 on: 2007-11-07 00:09:38 »
Perhaps a late reply, but try using the characters with least kills. The characters (except cloud) who has killed fewest enemies if there were any doubt.  :-D

ARMs

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2007-11-07 01:09:46 »
Lol what an odd attack to use on people.  Did you even change the name of the attack to indicate something like that was gonna happen?

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #136 on: 2007-11-07 19:58:33 »
Haven't changed any names, no. But diamond might be too hard... I have edited some more now as well, but I wanna be satisfied before putting it up. Anyone beaten Jenova in my mod?  :-D

UltimaYoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2007-11-08 06:10:47 »
Diamond too hard? You gotta be kidding me.
He is time-consuming, but not hard at all.

Simply kill Dragons in Mt. Nibel to level up quickly (and get Megalixirs).
Once you reached high levels, he is cake.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #138 on: 2007-11-08 19:24:24 »
Yup you figured it out huh? Wasn't that hard. However the dragon is supposed to be harder. Harder dragon no easy leveling!  :-D I've actually made him much harder, but it isn't in the release yet.

Everything can be easy if you just level enough. But where is the fun in that? The only place int my mod where it may be hard if you mastered everything is the Weapons and the final battles.

ARMs

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2007-11-09 01:59:52 »
Heh well maybe you should have made it a requirement to be at high level by the time of Daimond weapon.   And you did leave the easy leveling method out there.   Even though you knew it.  since you hinted an easy way to kill the dragon.   

So how far are you on your play test.   And i don't get how you can make the final bosses hard.   Jenovas AI basically makes her crap no matter what effect you add to her attack since nearlly all effects can be nulled and if you make it inflict effects even if the player have immunities it can cause major problems.   Blizzaro's AI is crappy as well and safer, hes the most predictable boss.
« Last Edit: 2007-11-09 02:15:18 by ARMs »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #140 on: 2007-11-09 03:37:11 »
As I've stated earlier I kinda have my hands full these days. I do some tweaking when I find the time but that is generally minor stuff. I barely have time for any game testing. I'm currently being owned by Diamond lol, though haven't played for some days now.

What I meant by the final bosses being hard; I didn't mean mindblowing ridiculously hard, but something more than a pushover, and actually quite an enjoyable challenge (to me at least). I can make all enemies in the game almost impossible to beat if I wish. What I am trying to create, however, is an "enjoyable" challenging mod ("duh").

And concerning Jenova and the rest of the bunch, I haven't added more statuses or anything. This late in the game only the damage makes the real difference considering attack effects.

Also keep in mind that this mod was in the 1st place meant to satisfy me. That doesn't mean my needs won't change as I see people comment it. I appreciate feedback a lot!
« Last Edit: 2007-11-09 04:23:09 by gjoerulv »

ARMs

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2007-11-09 05:19:58 »
Oh i didn't mean mindblowingly hard.  I mean hard in a fun way.   by this time though players casting dragon force on themselves makes them godly so thats why i ask how these pathetic bosses can be made a challenge if you got all kinds of mastered materia.

I thought maybe you had some way of making it very enjoyable and challenge with thes handy caps that came with the boss.   I would like to rewrite blizzaro and jenovas AI but they looks way too complicated and woudl take way too much time  to mess around with.

UltimaYoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2007-11-11 20:09:48 »
Over all you did a great job here, gjo. ;)
If you can, try and make your own enemy scenes.

ARMs actually succeeded in making them, making enemies allys and even making Sephiroth playable (so that you can control him and not the AI).
« Last Edit: 2007-11-11 20:14:43 by UltimaYoshi »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #143 on: 2007-11-23 06:33:56 »
OK question:

My Safer Seph has 255+ str and is on lvl 99. Why then does his wing attack, which has an attack power of 150, only cause ca 2000 damage on a lvl 99 character in front row, and with a 150 defence in total? Same with his Shadow Flare and Pandora's Box. Both deals only ca 4500 damage. His Magic is, of course, maxed.
The attacks has no elements... Ruby has SFlare and PBox too. His stats are pretty much the same, but he deals a lot more damage. Iron Man's Sword attack is almost the same as Safer's wing, but deals tons of more damage (32 000+ to a character in front row and no Barrier).

Is it the his level?? Does the script set the damage?? I doubt it, but it wouldn't suprise me. I know the script set his stats based on characters at lvl 99, but I don't see how this could effect the damage. Perhaps it's too much power lol.

On a sidenote I'll be releasing a new mod which contains new enemies as well. And it's harder too  :evil:. Somewhat more Exp and Ap gain, and the materia AP levels are set back to the original. Too many glitches. No one figured out why?

The Black-caped Man

• The time........has come........!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2007-12-24 16:44:39 »
I guess this is because with some characters on lvl 99 safer(original name: Seraph sephiroth) gets a status boost. He gets 30k hp, 2 str, 5 magic, 20 def, mdef 16 for every character on lvl 99. OK: when you set his status value STR to 255, he would get +16 if all your chars are on lvl 99 ending in 271 but since this value is not possible the value begins from 0 again so his value is set to 16(This also happened in my game).

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2007-12-27 08:46:22 »
Wow, it's been a long way since I started the first hard-mode. Nice to see regardless of all bugs that arise in a mod-creation around people completed their own patches. Nice job.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #146 on: 2008-01-22 13:19:38 »
Are people still interested in this? If not I'll give it a break for now and continue when I feel for it. I've planned to make plenty of new enemies and bosses for the scene, but due to vacation, college and work I haven't been able to work on this since mid December. It's not like I don't want to finish this, but if no one really urge me to finish this I'll put it on the shelf and maybe continue in a month or two.

What say thee?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2008-01-22 17:47:14 »
I'm still interested.  But I know it can be hard to get work done with college, a job, and a life.  Whenever you have time to improve your hardcore mod is fine by me  :-)

ARMs

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2008-01-22 19:40:50 »
I would like to see what you have done but we all understand how hard it is to complete a huge project.   And I think there are tons people who are interested in a well done difficulty mod that isn't half asssed finished.   So just take your time but we would like to be updated if your gonna put it aside or cancelled the project.   

If your canceling it and its nicely done you can post it and and let others add to it by making their own scenes and distributing it seperately with yoru files.
Its a huge project so getting help from others might be a good idea since your planning a release.  When they release their own scenes you can test it out and see if you like it and add it into your own game at home.   Think of it like the mugen character distribution.

From what you posted it seems like you have tons left to do.   I personally wouldn't even make a goal as huge as that.    I find it extremely difficulty to decide what enimies to change and how the change will be done.  I normally take days thinking about what to do and sometimes days to finally get my ass to do it.   And then it may even take days to complete that one enimy.
« Last Edit: 2008-01-22 19:44:51 by ARMs »

lparcshinoda

• The story never ends ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2008-01-22 21:59:35 »
relax and take it easy dude, you're doin great  :mrgreen: