Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4881184 times)

xenofears

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.4)
« Reply #3825 on: 2016-06-21 02:59:24 »
Can you get descriptions for the limits in the game? All it does is say single or multi target.

exsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: 2016-06-21 04:31:45 »
Oh my god ... you better implement Cid as a date after tricking me like that.  :-[

Robo Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: 2016-06-21 05:57:46 »
Oh my god ... you better implement Cid as a date after tricking me like that.  :-[
Sadly it appears we aren't up to Cid's high standards. ;) :P

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: 2016-06-21 06:20:27 »
Mitigating the damage wasn't a problem. It's just that I felt the battle had gotten tedious after a while and I just tried to heal less and attack more to end it faster and that led to my doom.
It's just my experience, but you might consider trimming down his HP or lowering his magic defense. Not because he's too hard, but because the fight gets pretty easy to manage once you get to know what all of his attacks do, and then it just goes on and on to the point of becoming tedious. So far this is the only boss fight that imo overstayed its welcome.

But as I have said, that was just my experience. Maybe others didn't feel that way :)

Wait until you meet Hojo's second form; you've yet to meet tedious  :P (gonna revise him, I'll do the same with Tseng).

Can you get descriptions for the limits in the game? All it does is say single or multi target.

I think I trimmed down the descriptions for those into single/multi-target because I was having issues with text space elsewhere. I could try varying them a little, but it'll be tough/risky considering how temperamental the kernel already is.

You say I should implement it. But are you sure you're ready for that date? Can anyone ever truly be?

Doll

• View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: 2016-06-21 15:29:36 »
I'm playing for the first time. really love the mod so far. I've encountered a few oddities..

http://i.imgur.com/dc388vK.png

This was very funny but I'm not sure if it's supposed to happen. There was nothing I could do to interact with it... Is Guard Scorpion the "new threat"..

The NPCs that are supposed to transport me to and from Ft. Condor don't work. The guy who's supposed to take me there just tells me how much gil to bring and the dialogue box closes. Trying to exit from Ft. Condor, if I talk to the npc that is supposed to transport me back, nothing happens and also an invisible barrier prevents me from walking out of the fort unless I exit and enter the screen.

The "SP gained" messages I was getting from beating certain enemies in the early game were kind of distressing. Because I had no idea how SP worked, I wasn't sure if I was missing something by not grinding those enemies for a certain amount of time or something.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: 2016-06-21 15:42:56 »
I'm playing for the first time. really love the mod so far. I've encountered a few oddities..

http://i.imgur.com/dc388vK.png

This was very funny but I'm not sure if it's supposed to happen. There was nothing I could do to interact with it... Is Guard Scorpion the "new threat"..

The NPCs that are supposed to transport me to and from Ft. Condor don't work. The guy who's supposed to take me there just tells me how much gil to bring and the dialogue box closes. Trying to exit from Ft. Condor, if I talk to the npc that is supposed to transport me back, nothing happens and also an invisible barrier prevents me from walking out of the fort unless I exit and enter the screen.

The "SP gained" messages I was getting from beating certain enemies in the early game were kind of distressing. Because I had no idea how SP worked, I wasn't sure if I was missing something by not grinding those enemies for a certain amount of time or something.

I've got the first two issues fixed, just need to put the patch together (I'm still trying to get Dark Cave done first; might just have to bite the bullet and do it now). As for SP gained, they weren't supposed to appear until Mythril Mines but I copy-pasted the AI and forgot to remove it for Midgar enemies. You're not missing anything, they're just tallied invisibly at first so you have SP to spend when the system is introduced properly later.

Doll

• View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: 2016-06-21 15:56:41 »
Oh I see. Looks like I was late to the party. thanks for the prompt response. :V

I think Guard Scorpion should stay there. In every new town, he should be hiding somewhere. Zack is replaced with guard scorpion. Guard scorpion date at gold saucer. Guard scorpion is superimposed over meteor in all fmvs..hoo boy

I never realized how ridiculous some of the windows for ft. condor battles were. At least they're worth doing now. I started hooting and hollering when I saw the rewards I was getting.

edit: oh...oh no!!!!!!! http://i.imgur.com/sbeqPP5.png

I'm enjoying the difficulty spike after leaving mythril caves. jenova battle was really satisfying.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-21 18:49:36 by SonOfPalmer »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: 2016-06-21 20:22:47 »
Seems you've been visited by the lucky giant Cloud. For whatever reason, the PC version of the game has this thing where once in a blue moon the controlled character will appear at max size, which causes it to invert. It can happen in Bugenhagen's Observatory as well. Leaving and re-entering the screen fixes it, and the glitch should be harmless too as far as I know.

iDerek759

• View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: 2016-06-22 03:36:08 »
That's crazy, lol. I have yet to experience the giant Cloud and I've modded my steam version from head to toe countless times  :-D

nainje

• View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: 2016-06-22 14:23:45 »
What is crazy...is the fact I just can't go through the second wind storm in the north crater at the 2nd CD, it always throw me back then I have to fight the bird who cast aero...again and again  ;D :o

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: 2016-06-22 15:29:45 »
What is crazy...is the fact I just can't go through the second wind storm in the north crater at the 2nd CD, it always throw me back then I have to fight the bird who cast aero...again and again  ;D :o

I don't know if this is true of the PSX version, but on PC the animation can become desynched with the actual field script after getting knocked back. If that happens, the best thing to do is leave the screen and come back to refresh it. As for timings, you want to run into the tail-end of the green pulse rather than waiting for it to be completely clear. I could have a go at modifying it though so that it knocks you forward instead, meaning you only need to fight once.

nainje

• View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: 2016-06-22 17:48:35 »
I'll try to leave the screen to retry... I thought the sync was pretty strange and I never have to face it in the PSX version.
This spot is very usefull to Lv up and boost the materias AP with the tomberrys. Is it the place where you can find the hp plus materia and morph some specific enemy into weapon ? :-D

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: 2016-06-22 18:11:16 »
I'll try to leave the screen to retry... I thought the sync was pretty strange and I never have to face it in the PSX version.
This spot is very usefull to Lv up and boost the materias AP with the tomberrys. Is it the place where you can find the hp plus materia and morph some specific enemy into weapon ? :-D

HP Plus is in the Crater (left-down path), along with the enemies that drop/steal/morph end-game weapons (but that's going to be changed soon so it's less of a headache to get them).

In other news, a while ago someone mentioned that the wind effect on the Mako Cannon was too loud. Well, I figured out how to adjust the volume of that down (along with any other overly loud sound-effects) so it shouldn't be so loud in future. If there's any other trouble spots with loud sound effects you guys find then let me know and I can adjust those too.

nainje

• View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: 2016-06-22 18:47:00 »
Okkkkkkkk Sega, I thought I could find HP plus at the 2nd cd, I was wrong :mrgreen:

iDerek759

• View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: 2016-06-23 02:54:16 »
I'm sorry SC, I'm such a grammar nazi! I found another typo if this hasn't already been reported.

Spoiler: show

There needs to be a space between If and Spirit Energy, lol. That is all, I'm just nit-picking at this
point, but I want your mod to be as polished as it can be! I love it too much.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3840 on: 2016-06-23 03:04:19 »
I'm sorry SC, I'm such a grammar nazi! I found another typo if this hasn't already been reported.

Ah, thanks; if you find any more, let me know.

OnAnotherLeve1

• View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: 2016-06-23 03:37:38 »
Been enjoying the 1.4 changes quite a bit since I last played 1.35, keep up the great work Sega Chief.
I have a question about the boss curator in the shinra building.  He's very challenging first off and it seems to be a very long fight, so I wanted to know, are you still able to fight him after the return to midgar section?  I know in the original you can't return to the building so I wasn't sure, it's been a while since I played the last patch.
I read some posts and see the dark cave isn't in this yet.  Just wanted to let you know that was probably by far the coolest addition and I know you're working on it for good reasons.
I also saw that you plan on making the ultimate weapons a bit easier to obtain (mostly by knowing which enemies to morph).  It's pretty cool to utilize morph since it wasn't very useful in the original game, but I had no idea my first time playing and probably wouldn't have guessed you had to morph enemies as part to obtain ultimate weapons.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: 2016-06-23 03:53:59 »
Been enjoying the 1.4 changes quite a bit since I last played 1.35, keep up the great work Sega Chief.
I have a question about the boss curator in the shinra building.  He's very challenging first off and it seems to be a very long fight, so I wanted to know, are you still able to fight him after the return to midgar section?  I know in the original you can't return to the building so I wasn't sure, it's been a while since I played the last patch.
I read some posts and see the dark cave isn't in this yet.  Just wanted to let you know that was probably by far the coolest addition and I know you're working on it for good reasons.
I also saw that you plan on making the ultimate weapons a bit easier to obtain (mostly by knowing which enemies to morph).  It's pretty cool to utilize morph since it wasn't very useful in the original game, but I had no idea my first time playing and probably wouldn't have guessed you had to morph enemies as part to obtain ultimate weapons.

Curator can be fought on the 2nd visit but it's still very tough; someone did beat it though.

MoCheese

• View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: 2016-06-23 07:14:40 »
It's been quite a bit since I've made any posts here, and like most others now I figure I'm waiting for Dark Cave before I run through the mod again. Before that though I should drop off some more bugs I found along the way. Again if these have been mentioned already apologies in advance:

- I somehow managed to get into a 2nd fight with the Master Materia. This time however there was no background, just a black screen. When I won again, I received a W-Summon materia. I have a clip of it but I don't remember what I did to trigger it. I think it had something to do with going outside of the area where you fight them and coming back in but I cannot say for certain.

- In the final battle with Sephiroth, it's possible to lose your materia if you have too much. Everyone who had any for Pinnacle gets it removed and if you have too many for your 200 I think it was limit, it just vanishes and you can't use it for Sephiroth. I don't know if it's possible to fix this short of not having their materia removed?

- I'm sure this one has been mentioned but just to be safe, in the Jenova fight in the Northern Crater, you can get a soft lock by killing Jenova's arms. Don't remember if it's both arms or just the one but I ran into this problem a time or two.

- I never got the Micro Engine from the guy in the Highwind. Is that a bug or did I just miss something here or do something wrong?

Curator can be fought on the 2nd visit but it's still very tough; someone did beat it though.

I'm going to assume that posting videos would be seen as promoting and I imagine that's frowned on. But if you search Youtube for me and/or The Curator I'm sure my video of it will come up. I went into VERY long and extensive detail about what to do and how to win on the video description, so if you're looking for info it's there. Or if you are just interested in what's behind him that's also included in my video. The entire winning fight was uploaded and it is rather long, but if you want to get any ideas about Curator it's there to help.

This does raise a question though that I should've asked beforehand though. It's already done but do you mind or care that I uploaded videos of your mod to YouTube? My channel is nothing and it was made entirely so a couple buddies could see some other game footage from my point of view. But when I started playing this mod I uploaded the bosses and it got some views. I wasn't overstepping anything was I? I credited you in every video obviously, but if this isn't appreciated or anything I'd actually feel pretty miserable about it.

OnAnotherLeve1

• View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: 2016-06-23 14:51:23 »
This does raise a question though that I should've asked beforehand though. It's already done but do you mind or care that I uploaded videos of your mod to YouTube? My channel is nothing and it was made entirely so a couple buddies could see some other game footage from my point of view. But when I started playing this mod I uploaded the bosses and it got some views. I wasn't overstepping anything was I? I credited you in every video obviously, but if this isn't appreciated or anything I'd actually feel pretty miserable about it.
[/quote]

I actually did watch parts of your video just to see any strategies.  I still wanted to try and figure it out on my own a bit, but man was I getting destroyed by this guy and my characters were higher level then yours.  I tried using resist and I got extremely far into the fight (prob about 30 minutes) until he cast rainbow ray and wiped out my party.  Then I saw in your video you were able to cast mbarrier so you just kept up with using esuna a bunch instead of casting resist.  I only had 2 protect vests at this point and wasn't sure if I could return here (on disc 3 technically) after I got that and maybe grinded a bit more, or if this was the last chance I had to fight the boss.  Having a protect vest helps you mitigate a lot of his damage.  I should have used deathblow-added cut on cid instead of deathblow-counter command for sure, I saw that's what you had on tifa I believe. 

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: 2016-06-23 14:56:25 »
It's been quite a bit since I've made any posts here, and like most others now I figure I'm waiting for Dark Cave before I run through the mod again. Before that though I should drop off some more bugs I found along the way. Again if these have been mentioned already apologies in advance:

- I somehow managed to get into a 2nd fight with the Master Materia. This time however there was no background, just a black screen. When I won again, I received a W-Summon materia. I have a clip of it but I don't remember what I did to trigger it. I think it had something to do with going outside of the area where you fight them and coming back in but I cannot say for certain.

- In the final battle with Sephiroth, it's possible to lose your materia if you have too much. Everyone who had any for Pinnacle gets it removed and if you have too many for your 200 I think it was limit, it just vanishes and you can't use it for Sephiroth. I don't know if it's possible to fix this short of not having their materia removed?

- I'm sure this one has been mentioned but just to be safe, in the Jenova fight in the Northern Crater, you can get a soft lock by killing Jenova's arms. Don't remember if it's both arms or just the one but I ran into this problem a time or two.

- I never got the Micro Engine from the guy in the Highwind. Is that a bug or did I just miss something here or do something wrong?

I'm going to assume that posting videos would be seen as promoting and I imagine that's frowned on. But if you search Youtube for me and/or The Curator I'm sure my video of it will come up. I went into VERY long and extensive detail about what to do and how to win on the video description, so if you're looking for info it's there. Or if you are just interested in what's behind him that's also included in my video. The entire winning fight was uploaded and it is rather long, but if you want to get any ideas about Curator it's there to help.

I'll check the master materia thing again; maybe the var switch isn't being flipped unless it was cross-over from a patch; I renovated the place after 1.4 was released.

I could just not remove the Materia and then the player can exchange/remove them through the Materia menu.

I've not tackled the soft-lock yet for that boss; I'll probably just renovate the whole thing and ditch the totem idea.

The lost/found NPC wasn't set up 100% correctly; he triggers a fight with a tonberry instead of the debug crab to get Cloud's innate working for instance. It'll be sorted for the next (eventual) patch.

Promoting streams/YT stuff related to NT here isn't any problem at all; everybody wins as far as I'm concerned.

I actually did watch parts of your video just to see any strategies.  I still wanted to try and figure it out on my own a bit, but man was I getting destroyed by this guy and my characters were higher level then yours.  I tried using resist and I got extremely far into the fight (prob about 30 minutes) until he cast rainbow ray and wiped out my party.  Then I saw in your video you were able to cast mbarrier so you just kept up with using esuna a bunch instead of casting resist.  I only had 2 protect vests at this point and wasn't sure if I could return here (on disc 3 technically) after I got that and maybe grinded a bit more, or if this was the last chance I had to fight the boss.  Having a protect vest helps you mitigate a lot of his damage.  I should have used deathblow-added cut on cid instead of deathblow-counter command for sure, I saw that's what you had on tifa I believe. 

There we go, see; vids promote discussion and whatnot so keep them coming.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: 2016-06-24 07:11:57 »
Hey Sega what do you think, this might be a cool track for the dark cave quest?
http://steamcommunity.com/app/39140/discussions/0/351660338682276675/

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: 2016-06-24 09:57:38 »
I have always wanted to secretly slip in a new song in place of the unused Comical.ogg...

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: 2016-06-24 22:58:03 »

I'm proud to say I came close--from the explanation of his tactics a previous poster put up, I can tell I had him at ~25%.

What really got me was the instant kill moves.  If I had death protection on everyone before I went in, I probably could have beaten him.

Murasame

• View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: 2016-06-25 10:53:51 »
How much HP does each part of Protoroth have? I wouldn't normally ask, I just uh..messed up because I only sent Cloud and Aeris together so I only have a party of 2 to deal with him. I managed to chip off around 120 thousand from Type C before I died.